Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island 4-0 Basildon Utd

Matt H

There is no way Chris Bourne is going to oust Lee Jay, Dobbo, Clyde or Ryan, he's simply just not up to that standard. I think he could be one hell of a player if he was taught the right things. Too much fancy-Dan stuff for me. Holmes and Crow are proper defenders, no nonsense, easy ball and safety first. Always going to prefer them as over the course of the season they wouldnt make silly mistakes which we would get punished for.

Jon Stuart came on last night and seemed to play on that side, does he play on the left as well?

With him, Bourne, Crow, Corbell, Reade and Jay there is going to be a lot of competition for places on that side.

I'd like to think Holmes will stay with us. He looks young and willing to learn, a season in our reserves could do him good along with Peter Davies and Charlie Parker if he doesn't sign first team contract.

Quote:
Benny said:
There is no way Chris Bourne is going to oust Lee Jay, Dobbo, Clyde or Ryan, he's simply just not up to that standard.

I think he could mix it with them boys any day. I thought last night he wasn't fancy, he ran with the ball and crossed it in well, didn't see anything apart from that with the ball at his feet.

Fair enough, last night he wasn't so bad but if your a left back, your number one priority is to defend. He shows enthusiasm to get forward but thats what the left midfielder is for. I just dont think he has the discipline just yet. Great potential, just needs to learn a bit more thats all, time will tell.

Let's hope not! If the lads knock the ball around like they did last night it will be a great season. I know that Basildon weren't much themselves, but I believe that a lot of sides will find it difficult to defend against us with so many dangerous attacking players.

I think Chris has to take time to fit into his left-back role and tone down the flair without losing the urge to push forward. I'm sure when he was given a first XI contract by us before and subsequently when he went to Welling he was used as a left-winger. He's been at Southend for experience so obviously there is plenty of potential.

Another bonus of having Crow back at Park Lane this season. Bourne has an experienced and competent defender who's spent the majority of his Canvey career playing in his position to learn from.

Quote:
Ribbit said:
Let's remember though, neither Ashley Cole or Roberto Carlos could defend at all until a couple of years ago. Who says Bournie can't be the same?

I think he is a competent defender at the moment, but there's always room for improvement and I'm sure he'll use this season to iron out any wrinkles in his mostly solid game.

I'll second that. I'm not knocking the lad, its just my opinion that i think we have better defenders and the team wouldn't be shuffled about to incorporate him at left midfield. He's a good player to have in the squad.

We have so many options at the moment, i'm not even sure what the starting 11 is going to be in 10 days time!!! Quite exciting to think about!!

From what i've seen, and the options we have at the moment, i think we'd start as follows:

Wiseman

Blewer Krayling West Holmes

Clyde Edgar Dobbo Jay

Rugg Curran (if fit)

Well noticed Ronin, i'm miles away today!!

Not a bad turn-out last night bearing in mind it was hastily arranged and only against Basildon. Its looking good attendance-wise for the coming season. We have to be looking for 250-300+

Match report will be done but seems to be taking me ages to read through all these posts today.