Adverts are hidden for all 'Gold Members' - sign up for just £10 a year by clicking here | Advertise here for just 25p per 1,000 impressions - click here
Welcome to Fans Focus. You are currently viewing as a guest. Please login or register to post.    

Sign in icon Sign In Register Register Help Help Login with Facebook Login with Twitter

League section covering 2,000+ clubs - check out your division and club page click here!

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates
(Update your status via the dropdown
to the right of your name (top left))

View All Updates

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's Birthdays ( 22-October 17 )

• Photo
    Simon BTFC

• Photo
    Dave Fatboy

• Photo
    harkwar

• Photo
    LMB

Photo

Worth a read

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
regular view basic view
27 replies to this topic

offline Steph

Steph
  • First XI - Permanent
From today's Guardian Leader Page

In praise of....Cash machines

Enfield ("London's top borough" as it is known to enthusiasts) wears its history casually. The town centre's row of Georgian houses is abutted by a bus depot. The local football team, which dates back to Queen Victoria, has just gone into liquidation. And Enfield's place in the history of consumer spending goes almost unnoticed by locals. Forty years ago today the world's first cash machine opened at the Barclays bank in the town market square.

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach
Reg (On the Buses) Varney was the first person in the UK to use a cash machine.

offline The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man
  • National Squad - 1st XI
Bus depot in the town? The bus garage is in Ponders End! There's the little bus turny-round thing by The Stag, but that's hardly a depot and it doesn't abut anything.

Also, as far as I am aware, the town's local football club only dates back 6 years and is not in liquidation!

They are correct about the cash machine though..... there was also a feature on the BBC News website, with pictures.

offline andyetfc

andyetfc
Used this as a quiz night question once asking people where was the first cash point installed in the world? Funnily enough, not many people knew the answer and the quiz was held in Enfield!

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
I'm more suprised that someone actually buys The Guardian. shocked

Steph,save yourself some money.Jon Snow on C4 7pn news basically reads out the daily Guardian editorial every night.

offline Steph

Steph
  • First XI - Permanent
To Guardian readers - Little Park Gardens would be a bus depot and detract from the "Elysian" row of Georgian Houses that is Gemtlemans Row. You would probably find the writer in the Cricketers on a warm sunny Sunday.

offline Steph

Steph
  • First XI - Permanent
LS

The Guardian won the news photographers paper of the year award recently. You should buy it for the centre photographs which are a novel way to use the Berliner format.

offline andyetfc

andyetfc
What's a supremo?

http://easternfootba...x...4&Itemid=87

offline townerboy

townerboy
  • Reserves Coach
  • Supports: Enfield Town
that was in the metro as well. it said that the machines were vandalised......

offline Sponsor of Beer

Sponsor of Beer
  • Reserves Coach
Originally Posted By: Steph
To Guardian readers - Little Park Gardens would be a bus depot and detract from the "Elysian" row of Georgian Houses that is Gemtlemans Row. You would probably find the writer in the Cricketers on a warm sunny Sunday.

I think the Reg Varney connection came not only as he was a resident of Enfield but also that On the Buses was predominantly filmed at the Green Line garage at Wood Green. The LT 269 that ran through Wood Green to the Town used to end its journey in the road that ran up the side of Nat West until recently. My recollection is that Mr Varney was photographed with said buses as well as his pristine £10 note withdrawn from Barclays opposite.

The Invisible Man
Sydney Road. Is Sydney Road gone altogether now then? The Duke of Abercorn used to be there (the pub, not the aristocrat). There was also a gasworks there, well before my time of course. The 269 was previously a trolleybus route, and at various stages after being the 269 was the 123 to Walthamstow and the 29 to Victoria.

The Wood Green garage of which you speak was actually Eastern Counties, not Green Line. Reg's character never drove a London bus in the sitcom, but for the spin-off movie they changed to red proper buses so that Americans etc would recognise "English" buses. Somehow I can't see the Americans actually buying the film though....

I hate you Butler.....

offline lovely stuff

lovely stuff
Does't Reg still live down Crews Hill? According to rumour,he's a bit of a miserable bugger.

The Invisible Man
See http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/6230194.stm for the ATM story.

I believe Reg died quite a few years ago. He lived in Clay Hill, the bit between the Rose and Crown and the Fallow Buck, I understand.

offline Uncle Urchin

Uncle Urchin
  • Long Service Award
Originally Posted By: Steph
Forty years ago today the world's first cash machine opened at the Barclays bank in the town market square.

fancy steph being a guardian reader...never have guessed... grin

the worlds first cash machine was the chicks snooker hall in brighton....... yay

offline Gazza

Gazza
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
Originally Posted By: The Invisible Man
See http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/6230194.stm for the ATM story.

I believe Reg died quite a few years ago. He lived in Clay Hill, the bit between the Rose and Crown and the Fallow Buck, I understand.

Reg indeed did live in Clay Hill but it was between Forty Hill & The Rose & Crown (on the same side as that pub) Its a very grand white house with a white wall surrounding it.
As kids we use to stop outside & gape in looking to see if we could see Reg during an unofficial short cut whilst doing cross country!
I believe he retired to Devon & passed away after suffering several strokes.

offline Gazza

Gazza
  • National Squad - 2nd XI
Sydney Road. Is Sydney Road gone altogether now then?... The 269 was previously a trolleybus route, and at various stages after being the 269 was the 123 to Walthamstow and the 29 to Victoria...

Trolley bus??? blimey Invis how old are you? I thought you was a young whipper snapper, my old man was a trolley bus driver on that route, do you remember the Sydney Road cafe as well? proper old cafe, oh happy days!

offline Greg_Dyke

Greg_Dyke
  • Youth Team Coach

They are correct about the cash machine though..... there was also a feature on the BBC News website, with pictures.

I was at a cash machine when an old lady came up to me and asked to check her balance.

So I pushed her over.

The Invisible Man
Love it Greg! grin

Thanks for that info Gazza, I was obviously looking at the wrong long white wall!

Yes I do remember trolleybuses, but I must add that I was but a nipper at the time. It's ironic that they're talking about bringing them back - low emissions and all that. I hope they do all the sums properly though - obviously the electricity has to be generated in the first place! And of course the wires are f. ugly.

I don't recal a cafe in Sydney Road itself. I remember the Cecil Cafe, in Cecil Road near where Sydney Road crosses it? The police station was in London Road with its vehicular entrance off Cecil Road. Palace Gardens was a turning off Sydney Road, that turned right back into Church Street, and the 123/29 buses used to stop for a rest in there. Also the single deck 121... Previously I think they had all stayed at the bus stops in Cecil Road. Lyons Cafe was on the corner of Sydney Road and Church Street, became a Milletts and last time I was down it was a cheapy shop. Might have been the gas showroom before it was Milletts?

offline andyetfc

andyetfc
I remember horse drawn carts and gas lights in the streets of Nottingham!

My brother and I had a pair of shoes between us! As for picking up coal in the streets after the coal man had been......

offline Squadron Leader

Squadron Leader
  • First XI - Permanent
  • Supports: Enfield Town FC Arsenal FC Fort William FC
Originally Posted By: andyetfc
I remember horse drawn carts and gas lights in the streets of Nottingham!

My brother and I had a pair of shoes between us! As for picking up coal in the streets after the coal man had been......

Pair of shoes between you, you were lucky!!! We used to live in shoe box int' middle ot road!!!!

evil2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

View New Posts

List of all CLUBS on Fans Focus