Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Sad indictment on our society

It's the same all over Gavin and the million dollar question is how to get people through the turnstiles.

Could we not start some Edgware Town fighting fund to at least replace the sponsors cash to give the club some breathing space?

Anyway, here's some pinko crap i wrote about Edgware in August 2006 http://sloughtownsoapbox.blogspot.com/search?q=edgware+town

(Unfortunately i was so busy wanting to be a journalist I didn't have time to help save my club from relegation. Except i run my own business and am happy with just the blog and writing for the slough town programme thank you Urchin)

Originally Posted By: Gavin
I BLAME Harrow council who when in tory leadership voted 9-0 against planning going ahead, then when in Labour voted 5-4 in favour, with a £75000 'sweetner' paid from the developers to the council.

Surely this is slightly illegal,,,what form did this sweetner take, and do you have any links ?

There are worse indictments on our society but - trying to stick to the original point - it is stating the obvious that immigration/emigration means population change which means market change. So a significant influx of Muslims into a neighbourhood tends to result in some its its boozers closing - probably because the Muslim religion proscribes alcohol. This leads me to make the point that I suspect that football clubs with an Asian background are just following their faith if they don't provide any alcoholic bevvies. I see nothing wrong in this - a Saturday afternoon's abstention is probably good for some of us. I have experienced ordinary Muslim hospitality and it is very generous - if alcohol-free.

Although there seems to be litle integration in NL football clubs, the opposite seems to be true of local cricket clubs. Cricket is massive in India and Pakistan and and they are very enthusiastic about playing the game here. I suspect that the ethos of most cricket clubs is a bit more middle class than the average football club and Asians feel more at home in such clubs.

If an existing football club or whatever doesn't match the requirements of immigrants they either won't join or they'll start their own

Originally Posted By: brighton_rebel
It's the same all over Gavin and the million dollar question is how to get people through the turnstiles.

Could we not start some Edgware Town fighting fund to at least replace the sponsors cash to give the club some breathing space?

Anyway, here's some pinko crap i wrote about Edgware in August 2006 http://sloughtownsoapbox.blogspot.com/search?q=edgware+town

(Unfortunately i was so busy wanting to be a journalist I didn't have time to help save my club from relegation. Except i run my own business and am happy with just the blog and writing for the slough town programme thank you Urchin)

I never realised that you had written that, its the first time I have read it and it pretty much sums up how I feel. I agree with your senitments 100%

Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke
Originally Posted By: Gavin
I BLAME Harrow council who when in tory leadership voted 9-0 against planning going ahead, then when in Labour voted 5-4 in favour, with a £75000 'sweetner' paid from the developers to the council.

Surely this is slightly illegal,,,what form did this sweetner take, and do you have any links ?

From the clubs in crisis site...

http://www.clubsincrisis.com/Club_Detail.asp?Key=97

An addendum to Edgware Developments planning application states that they have agreed with the council to pay £750,000 towards the Prince Edward Development and £120,000 to Wealdstone Football Club. It makes you wonder where the rest of the money that will be required to complete the project is coming from? That could be as much as another 2 million.

How can the Council actively support a club wanting to move into the area, at the expense of one that has been in the borough for the past 66 years!

Is this a bribe? Is this legal? We know the Council are desperate to get ride of the expense of supporting what is turning into a White Elephant at Prince Edward, but to do that by allowing the White Lion to be developed for housing is immoral.Have the council not considered developing the Prince Edward site for housing? It has a lot more space, better road access and would have less impact on the local community.

Wealdstone sold their ground and have now spent the millions they received for it. Why do the Council, Edgware Town and the local residents have to pay the price for their mistakes.

Originally Posted By: King Tut
The local residents you have been slagging off for being the wrong colour and not paying to watch Edgware?

What IS your point? Did I say they were the wrong colour and did I say I blamed them for not watching Edgwarwe...NO!

ha ha..I love the way these threads develop a different meaning post by post...I mention daggers support...simon goes off on one about his nans street in dageham...

gavin didn't try and blame the collapse of his club on immigrants...if you read his post correctly he was generalising about communities disappearing as immigrants move into london boros....he is right as well....

who wants to go to the mcmillan stdium and have a fckn orange juice...not me and nor do our fans either and they will never go back there...someone says no alcohol on a saturday is good for us....

really.....bit like not smoking and not doing lots of other things the government deem wrong....some of us want to have a drink at a football match..its almost a tradition amongst most fans and of course that particular post tells its own story..we have choices and in general will not go to alcohol free grounds so you see gavin is right....new cultures change communities and NL football clubs are amongst the casualties...

collateral damage in a rapidly changing world...

football is football,its our game.

Why do i go to a football game at an asian club and find there is no beer but when i go for a curry at my local which is run by muslims they have no hesitation in serving me a beer.

Surely by not serving beer to good old english football fans is shooting yourself in the foot financially!

The fact of the matter is that large groups of minority cultures/religions move to areas en masse and those areas lose all their traditions!

How is that good for this country???

It's always bloody happened - Britain is a nation of immigrants.

Did you see that programme where they got 10 people to do DNA tests and found out that none of them were true English.

London especially has welcomed wave after wave of immigrants since the year dot and football has managed to survive.

Isn't Hendon and Finchley a massive Jewish area?

Edgware Town is important for Edgware. Sure, they could ground share with Wealdstone, but why should they? The chairman said, “Our survival is not in question, we are financially stable and our management team has built a side to challenge for promotion this season. Our youth squad is also progressing well in the Allied Counties League. Many local youth teams use the ground for League and Cup Competitions and our function hall is used extensively by the local community.”

wotcha reb..thats a clip from one of your ramblings...

now two questions must be asked...firstly how can edgware groundshare with wealdstone when wealdstone do not have a ground and share with northwood...

please try and keep abreast of these little details if you want to join the guardian....

secondly the edgware chairman was very adamant that his club was self sufficient and now we hear that the backer/sponsor has pulled out...do your journalistic tendencies not tell you that something is wrong here...

oh and not so much of the racist jibes at us jews...we've been

around for thousands of years...

oye vay.. grin

yes it is a jewish area.But the problem is now that it is too much,we probably have 80 million people in this country.It is too much.Parts of london and other big cities are overrun with immigrants to the extent that some live in squalid conditions

Its about time the people of this country said no more.I have no problem with immigrants coming into this country but not on the scale seen over the last few years.Where i work out of 35 drivers,4 of us speak english as our mother toungue.About 15 speak none!

We can't keep opening our gates to people claiming asylum,many of whom were lying but end up fleecing people in this country through crime.And don't say this doesn't happen as it clearly does.

Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke
So how many of your drivers are Illegal Immigrants or Assylum seekers Unc ?
and how many are criminals, (ie rapists, murderers and thieves ?)

Didn't Cher have a hit with that? No wait, that was..... laugh

That was Sonny & Cher!!! Also UB40 & Chrissy Hynde.

I was thinking of Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves!!!

Or as some culturally less tolerant people might say, Pykies, Tramps & Thieves!!!!