Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Maldon Lastest Score

lovely stuff

Hasler, Harvey, Bastian, Heald, Gant, Simpson, Marshall, Mitchell, Crace, Hammatt, Deane, Campbell, Velandia, Grieves, Foster

Gate 246

Well this has to be Towns best win at home all season it is just a shame we have had to wait to the second week in February for it! It was on a par with the Edgware away game for those that went away.

Jim reorganised the team and brought in Luke and Max. Maldon town didn’t know what ****ing hit ‘em! Town went on the attack from the outset. Ricci Crace and Bryan Hammatt running onto balls from the midfield. Now there is a nice novelty. Ricci Crace in one on one with Darren Gould the keeper. Max Mitchell took the first town corner, the quality of the cross was there for all to see as he planted the ball perfectly in the danger zone in the hope someone would run onto it. Maldon shot wide. DG saved at the feet of Crace.

Bryan Hammatt one on one header with keeper the ball falls for Bryan to shoot for only the player behind Gould to save. Ricci Crace had a point blank chance saved by the legs of Gould. Charlie Hasler saved. Fans were complaining that the strikers were not running onto the superb balls from the midfield but hey we are playing and playing well. Glen Harvey hit a rocket over the bar. Darren Gould saved. Finally on 45 minutes Bryan Hammatt flicked on past Gould goal! 1 – 0. So excellent first half and Town fans appreciated it.

Second half started well with Ricci Crace getting to the by-line and crossing for Bryan Hammatt whose shot was saved by Gould. Suddenly we appeared to be sitting back a bit with Charlie Hasler saving (x3). Luke Marshall ran down the wing & Bryan Hammatt shot over the bar. Luke then had a shot blocked. Luke off and Campbell on. Town tackling back well. Maldon hit a shot for Charlie Hasler to tip over his bar. Paul Campbell has a shot saved. Ricci Crace in one on one with Gould. Maldon shoot wide. Hasler saves again. Jamie Nay on for Michael Deane. Glen Harvey booked for foul. Bryan Hammatt shot saved. Hasler saved again. Town sat back a bit which made the last 10 minutes a bit of a nail biter considering how much we had been on top for much of the game, but the players were tired and had given their all.

Lady luck has shined a bit today in the other results with Dartford, Sudbury, Edgware, Redbridgeand Canvey dropping points!

Saturday 9th February 2008

FT AFC Sudbury 2 2 Dartford

FT Arlesey Town 0 3 Aveley

FT Brentwood Town 4 1 Ilford

FT Enfield Town 1 0 Maldon Town

FT Great Wakering Rovers 5 0 Witham Town

FT Northwood 1 1 Waltham Abbey

FT Potters Bar Town 1 0 Wingate & Finchley

FT Redbridge 0 0 Canvey Island

FT Tilbury 0 0 Edgware Town

FT Waltham Forest 0 2 Ware

If these green shoots of recovery are to convert to a play off place then there is a long way to go. But maybe the chasing pack Redbridge, Canvey and Brentwood will choke - Time will tell!

1 Dartford 29 18 6 5 79 35 +44 60

2 AFC Sudbury 28 16 7 5 65 26 +39 55

3 Ware 28 16 7 5 76 41 +35 55

4 Edgware Town 30 14 13 3 38 17 +21 55

5 Enfield Town 30 15 6 9 51 43 +8 51

6 Redbridge (-1) 27 14 8 5 43 29 +14 49

7 Maldon Town 29 14 7 8 50 39 +11 49

8 Canvey Island 27 13 8 6 55 30 +25 47

9 Brentwood Town 27 13 8 6 49 34 +15 47

10 Aveley 30 13 7 10 44 53 -9 46

11 Great Wakering Rovers 30 11 8 11 48 42 +6 41

12 Bury Town 26 11 7 8 46 37 +9 40

13 Northwood 28 10 9 9 50 49 +1 39

14 Arlesey Town 28 8 9 11 48 51 -3 33

15 Waltham Abbey 26 8 7 11 29 47 -18 31

16 Wingate & Finchley 28 7 8 13 33 46 -13 29

17 Potters Bar Town 29 8 5 16 36 57 -21 29

18 Witham Town 27 8 4 15 49 71 -22 28

19 Waltham Forest 29 4 10 15 31 54 -23 22

20 Tilbury 27 3 10 14 33 57 -24 19

21 Ilford 30 3 5 22 28 79 -51 14

22 Wivenhoe Town 27 2 3 22 21 65 -44 9

We played 4-4-2 from where I was standing, and looked pretty good, although we made quite hard work of it at the end. Their keeper made some excellent saves, although for a couple of them, he shouldn't have been given a chance. Very impressed with the back 4, especially Harvey and Gant, who made countless tackles and interceptions. Perhaps a back 4 is the way forward. Good to see the youngsters getting a run out, and nice to see Hasler again, whose handling was excellent.

It's going to take a lot more battling performances like this if we're going to make a push into the playoffs, but compared to what I saw at Bury last week, which was just gutless and devoid of quality, this is a massive improvement. Let's hope we keep up the good work!

A win is a win and a welcome 3 points, but let's not get carried away thinking all is suddenly okay.

The team spirit was much better and the introduction of the youth players gave us some zip.

However, there were so many wasted chances to hit the back of the net, albeit with their keeper having a good game.

For my liking we lost the ball so many times with weak final passes going astray.

Looks like Tilbury did well against Edgware with Wray their keeper having a good game. We will have to be sharper up front next week.

Hammatt and Crace are short of a yard or three to chase long balls.

How about giving Foster a chance with Dean playing up front in a central position,( he seems wasted out on the wing ) with Luke right and Kofi left pushing forward ?

Originally Posted By: OldTowner
....How about giving Foster a chance with Dean playing up front in a central position,( he seems wasted out on the wing)......

Couldnt agree more OT, Deane is the biggest threat we have yet he was in our own half more than their's.

Was good to have Gant back, a pleasing 90 minutes after such a long time out. Let's just hope he can stay fit. Him and Heald formed a good partnership I thought - maybe the way forward, with Harvey and Bastian as full backs.

Well done Charlie on an impressive performance on his return, which was long overdue. Really nice to have him back in goal, he made some excellent claims and although he did not have much to do, he did all that was asked of him. Fills me with confidence to have a keeper with good handling, and whos gloves are not made from Teflon!!

I also feel Deane is wasted out left, and I would personally start him up front with Crace. If JC does decide to leave him out left, I would start Ozie up top with RC. We are lacking some aerial ability in that department. Also, although BH scored, I still feel he looks out of touch at the moment, and hasn't performed to his potential for weeks now. OF should get his chance.

Kofi would be better suited in centre-mid with either Velandia or Mitchell I believe, with Marshall starting out on the right. You could possibly start Mitchell out on the left, but he may have to use Kofi out on the left with a lack of left sided players available, not sure. I like the idea of 3 younger players, who can all play "football", alongside Kofi "the older head" Nyamah in midfield however. I did feel that Marshall had a better game than Max yesterday, but I feel they are both very important in the future of Enfield Town, as are many of that successful youth side.

I also feel that leaving out the likes of Jones, Campbell and Hall etc will have a positive effect on their performances coming off of the bench. If they want to fight their way back into the starting XI they will have to raise their games.

In all, very happy with a vital and thoroughly deserved 3 points, and to be fair, after last week's dire trip to Bury, the lads picked themselves up and got a hard fought win in the end. Maldon were very poor I thought, apart from their keeper, and had we taken our chances we should have put the game to bed much earlier. RC and BH are still lacking confidence and it showed in their finishing - that chance in the 1st minute of the game, RC would have taken that chance first time a season or two ago when he was on hot form. 3 points will only help matters though, and importantly has kept our playoff hopes very much alive.

Here's to being ruthless and getting maximum points against Tilbury and Wivenhoe (we must!!) eek