Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Royston V Stony Stratford

TheSpursFan - I won't swear to it on the holy bible, 3praise and Keeper No One style, but I'm sure I witnessed one or two of the lads nursing cans of Tennants Extra whilst they were sat in the stand watching the proceedings at Garden Walk when we played there. I didn't think anything of it at the time as some of them could have passed for 18 but now this has all blown up it is beginning to make perfect sense which is why the atmosphere is so volatile towards the end of games when Royston might be looking to need their support the most. I'll be interested to get New Bradwell St Peter's take to see whether they were intimidated when holding out for that 0-0 draw.

You're at it again Rhodes! Everyone else tries to play things down, you try to exaggerate them! We allow under 16's in for free at Hertford Town. We do not allow them to buy alcohol in the bar. We do not allow anyone to consume their own alcohol in the ground. I have not been to an SSMFL ground in the last two seasons where any other policy applies.

I played ay Royston in one of the of first games in the "Attfield era" The unofficial crowd was about 150 with a group of youngsters chanting and singing. It made a good atmosphere for the match which is usually lacking at Step 6. Behind the top goal I was getting friendly banter from the crowd (both adults and kids) and giving some back. No sign of any drinking outside or abuse.

Horace - I'm not at it again as you put it, all I'm saying is that I believe I witnessed youngsters at Royston Town drinking cans of strong lager during a game that's all. I'm actually not in favour of allowing Under 16's into a game for free unless they are accompanied by an adult, you could be letting yourself in for all sorts of problems, as is the case at Royston, and I'm sure you don't search their bags on the way into the ground, they could easily bring in a six pack and consume it whilst sitting at the back of your stand out of view.

At times Stony can be a niggly side who like dishing it out but don't like taking it. It only needs 1 player to start giving abuse or biting to comments from the crowd to change the atmosphere & game from competitive to unpleasant

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
they could easily bring in a six pack and consume it whilst sitting at the back of your stand out of view.

The back of our stand is not out of view! I myself sit in the "press box" at the back of the stand and can see everyone in it. I was incorrect to say that we admit Under 16's free - it's £1, but I don't see what difference that makes to the argument.

So Rhodes, Royston Town FC allow the entry of under 16's free to encourage drinking and giving the opposition abuse do we ??!!

Get a life you numpty !!

Surely the voices of a few tens of teens should not put player's off at the level of South Midlands League.

If it does I would encourage the player to seek out a level of pub league football !!

It might interest you that RTFC has a full time bar steward and under 16s get in free of charge IF ACCOMPONIED BY A FULLY PAYING ADULT.

The after match BRAWL ????!!! in the bar was blown out of massive proportion. I do like how the newspapers can make hyperthetical accusations when they were never in presense. There are no facts in the report, what happened on the pitch how I understand is, is being dealt with internally.

The referee made reports about SSFC in his report as they left the pitch, THERE WAS NO SPITTING BY ANYONE ON EITHER SIDE, FANS OR PLAYERS.

There has been no other reporting and so we move on. If anyone wants to make a big deal out of a few photos on a web site, accusations, hyperthetical bulls*** or heresay then throw yourself in a dustbin !!!

Originally Posted By: The Watchfull Listener
Can I ask why would their be pictures of a 20 man brawl in a local newspaper??

The Watchfull Listener - You haven't said why you were so certain the pictures wouldn't appear in the local press, you got that one badly wrong

Well I started this thread a bit flippantly so I think after hearing what happened from people who know, I owe Stony an aplology. 2 incidents in 3/4 of a season, not anything to worry about. They were no doubt provoked after the game and if anyone hit an old man he got what he deserved. But as for the crowd..Ive been to Royston and at most they are 15 years old and not exactly intimidating. If you cant, as players, handle a crowd giving you stick how do you expect to play higher up the pyramid where the abuse is more prevalent. Ive been there, seen it heard it and had to get used to it. Not 30 but 300 taking the p*ss. These are kids and I dont dispute it but find it hard to believe they were that bad as at the game I attended they were just a bit noisy.

I think Rhodes is making a big issue out of all of this because he is jealous of other clubs who have an alcohol licence, while the spread at The Copthall is no more than lukewarm tea and soggy sandwiches!

Originally Posted By: Jonno
I think Rhodes is making a big issue out of all of this because he is jealous of other clubs who have an alcohol licence, while the spread at The Copthall is no more than lukewarm tea and soggy sandwiches!

Rhodes could sell it on a Saturday now he is surplus to
requirements for KTFC ressies.His 'reformed' mate from
Broadwater Farm could hold the bucket.

Originally Posted By: Jonno
I think Rhodes is making a big issue out of all of this because he is jealous of other clubs who have an alcohol licence

That is possibly the craziest statement I've read on the SSML Forum since it started in July 2006 and I've read a few. We are not interested in an alcohol licence at the Copthall Stadium as, firstly, alcohol is looked down upon in the Athletics World where looking after your body is paramount and, secondly, the demon drink can lead to all sorts of problems that Kentsh Town don't want to be associated with.

...alcohol is looked down upon in the Athletics World where looking after your body is paramount ..

Mr Chambers and his bathroom cabinet may say otherwise.
I'm sure that ethic is highly laudable in the athletics world, but as one that is known to be rife with illegal substance taking, I find your comment a tadge pompous.

Wader - For someone who has slated me in the past for finger pointing you are doing exactly the same thing now with Dwain Chambers, he has 'served his time' and hopefully learnt his lesson. Okay the Athletics World has the odd drugs cheat such as Ben Johnson and Marion Jones to name two of the higher profile ones however the sport is, on the whole, as clean as a whistle and to say it is rife with illegal substance taking just isn't true.

You get me wrong. Mr Chambers has served his time and I believe he does deserve a second chance.

It is widely known (and I have been around the athletics scene for a while) that this practice is ongoing though, sadly throughout the world and we are no saints in this country. It pains me to say it, but however much you want to deny it - it is an endemic problem.

The Tour De France and cycle racing fraternity pale into insignificance when it comes to to the dubious contents of bathroom cabinets in the world of athletics.

Originally Posted By: Wader

The Tour De France and cycle racing fraternity pale into insignificance when it comes to to the dubious contents of bathroom cabinets in the world of athletics.

I wouldn't bet on that! Do any athletes have a complete blood change before a race?

Wader - For someone who has slated me in the past for finger pointing you are doing exactly the same thing now with Dwain Chambers, he has 'served his time' and hopefully learnt his lesson. Okay the Athletics World has the odd drugs cheat such as Ben Johnson and Marion Jones to name two of the higher profile ones however the sport is, on the whole, as clean as a whistle and to say it is rife with illegal substance taking just isn't true.

Chambers,Jones,Johnson,Flo-Jo and Christie.
The common denominator being..........?