Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash United 3-2 Dorking

TRS

Chicks fell to a last gasp defeat in a game that they looked like winning, played on a pudding of a pitch that must have made it feel like a home game for them. An absorbing game started off briskly with Ash holding the upper hand, although Dorking's Tony Jones was causing problems with his useful long throws. On the half hour a ball was played over the top for Jones to run on to, he wriggled past his defender and as he got into the box he placed a lovely shot past the keeper, which finished in the top left hand corner of the goal to put Chicks 1-0 to the good.

The lead was not to last long however as four minutes later, under no pressure whatsoever, Dorking defender McCormick was robbed 25 yards from goal by Weeks who had the easy task of running on and placing the ball past Roberts for the equaliser. Half time 1-1.

The second half began in pouring rain and Dorking started with purpose, Boniface shooting over on 52 minutes and the same player was denied 3 minutes later by a last ditch tackle from Atkins. The resulting corner saw Chicks take the lead for the second time with the excellent Jones scoring with a thumping header. The pitch was getting slippy at this point and Dorking had a spell of pressure culminating in the Ash Keeper tipping over a Danny Stassinos effort on 70 minutes.

Possibly the turning point of the game came on 73 minutes as Jones pulled up after chasing a hopeful ball forward and he was swiftly replaced by Alex Wheeler with Boniface joining Tyrone Walker upfront. Wheeler should have done better on 81 minutes with a tame shot at the keeper. Play advanced to the other end and a minute later the hapless McCormick was penalised for a dubious handball in the box. After much arguing the ball was placed on the spot and Gavin Evans thumped home the penalty for 2-2. Both sides continued to press forward in the rain with the unlikely chimes of an Ice Cream Van ringing in the distance and on 91 minutes the youthful referee looked long and hard at his watch. Despite there being no stoppages of note, some 4 minutes later disaster for the Chicks as the ball was played through to United's Scott who made no mistake from 6 yards out to give the home side an undeserved 3 points.

Dorking: Roberts, Howells, Hill, McCormick, Newman, Clayton, Boniface, Lawrence, Jones (Wheeler), Walker (Ahmed), Stassinos.

Ash: Andrews, Bonner, Sales, Atkins, Morris, Short, Johnston, Evans, Weeks, Scott, Lay.

chicks did look like they might win today and to lose so late was cruel, but I wouldnt say ash's three points were entirely undeserved once they woke up.

Jones first goal was worthy of any stage and maybe him going off prevented Dorking holding out for the win.

the forums own "Superman" looked a neat player, moved well, quick simple passes, good combination with the full back.

"Short" in centre mid for ash was outstanding (and vocal)

Dorking are close to getting a decent side out now but too many square pegs and round holes.

Well 2 of their 3 goals were gifts. A draw possibly fair but a win to them no way, even their fans were saying that at the full time whistle. Be interesting to get johnno's viewpoint, especially as he was instrumental in the build up to the winner!

You didnt imagine it mate. he called me a kent cos i told him to mark the No 8 who was ghosting past him. I'm used to it, especially from him. He's only played 2 1st team games this season due to other commitments. Short has been a regular for us the past 4 seasons.

As i said to every Dorking player i shook hands with.... i felt they deserved more. A draw would have been fair on reflection. A late winner is always hard to swallow.

Thought Ash missed to many opportunities in the 1st half. We felt at half time that we could have been 2 or 3 up instead of drawing 1-1. 2nd half and the rain helped no one and the pitch was slippy and difficult. At 2-1 down with 15 to go we kept pushing for an equaliser and leaving ouselves short at the back too many times. The tall Dorking lad that came on should have finished us off with a great chance.

Penalty was probably harsh but we have been done with that a few times too.

And the goal was a master piece....

Managed to turn cleverly away from the Dorking player and slide an inch perfect, eye of a needle, pass to our forward who dinked it over the keeper.

Thought your No 9 was excellent. a right handful. Asked him why he came off...said he was fecked.

Oh....No excuses cos Dorking played well but.....Ash were down to the bare bones again today. 3 out injured....2 suspended....1 transferred clubs midweek and 3 had work commitments. 4 reserves played in the starting 11 and we had no one on the bench. 11 players kitted up at the start of the game with no subs.

Lads who came in gave 110%. Cant ask for more than that!!

First time I saw Jones the no.9 was the home win against Cobham a couple of weeks back and he looked good & scored then too. Hopefully he'll be OK for Krooner's lot on Tuesday night.

Thought you had a good game as ever. Nice to see the Everard family there too. That wasn't your littleun running around in a Torres shirt was it?

Originally Posted By: TRS
First time I saw Jones the no.9 was the home win against Cobham a couple of weeks back and he looked good & scored then too. Hopefully he'll be OK for Krooner's lot on Tuesday night.

Thought you had a good game as ever. Nice to see the Everard family there too. That wasn't your littleun running around in a Torres shirt was it?

My little one????

Not mine mate. Probably Everards!!!!

Originally Posted By: thespursfan
and you havent mentioned the first half offside through on goal!

Still fuming !!!!!! mad

The lino only had to wait to see who it went to....

The ref said he had no option but to blow up. Usually the lino's get stick for flagging sooooooo late. This time he was too quick.

ref was actually really good...spoke to the players and even admitted he made a couple of errors during the match. Top ref!!

Originally Posted By: johnnojudo
and you havent mentioned the first half offside through on goal!

Still fuming !!!!!! mad

The lino only had to wait to see who it went to....

The ref said he had no option but to blow up. Usually the lino's get stick for flagging sooooooo late. This time he was too quick.

ref was actually really good...spoke to the players and even admitted he made a couple of errors during the match. Top ref!!

What the handball decision and playing 5 minutes added? wink

trs I would have asked around if i knew you were there, did you have a pasty 1/2 time?

Didn't realise you'd be there either! No, i had a tea and an aero bar at h/t. I was the really good looking one on the main road side first half (next to Gussy senior I think doing his coaching). Sat in the stand second half as it was raining.

By the way, the main road side lino must have been 80 if he was a day!

Provisional 'Dorkingnews' report:-

"Dorking were robbed of 3 points at Ash, conceding a 94th. minute goal as Ash ran out undeserved winners. Dorking had led 1-0 and 2-1, and with 20 minutes to go had chances to make it 3-1, but a dubious penalty then made it 2-2, and in a game that had seen hardly any stoppages, somehow the ref found 4 mins of extra time, Ash stealing the game with virtually the last kick of the game in a defeat that sums up Dorking's season to date

Full report to follow."