Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

QE 2 Local Area Forum meeting

andyetfc

Tim - There are many schools in and around the Town who walk to the track and it doesn't take that long. If the track wasn't there, then they would have to 'bus it' to Picketts Lock which would cost money and take time. I think that's what could be at the heart of the matter.

I still say it's a red herring Andy. Many of those schools do have their own playing fields: those that don't can simply use the playing fields - it's only a school sports day, not a real sporting event! Tracks and full international standard facilities are not necessary for these dos, but if they insist a coach one day a year is not prohibitive, especially in comparison to upgrading (rebuilding) and maintaining a stadium solely for school sports days. That is my point: it is used for sports days just because it is there. It is no use for anything else in the athletics field and as such it is an absurd waste of money for sack and obstacle races.

It's also been used for the Borough Schools' league and championships during the summer term.

In the minutes, it suggested that the pitches are in a poor condition. I don't suppose having loads of cars on it each year has helped!

As I have previously mentioned, if the Council want an organisation to take over the expenditure of the stadium, invest in the site and provide community access, then I am fairly certain that leaving the whole thing as it is will not be an option .

Originally Posted By: Enfield United
Thanks for going to the effort of communicating those minutes to everyone.

I personally think we are front runners for the QE Stadium so long as the proposals are sensibly put forward as a Stadium in the community purpose (and that is what it's gonna be I know.

It makes promotion very much a priority this season and with that the need of a larger Stadium than the back yard Rovers ground we play on (grateful for all small mercies of course)

it is a crying shame how this stadium has been allowed to deteriorate
my son played for ignatians and the state of dressing rooms are a sight to behold
i wish you all the best in your venture and hope it works out

look on bright side though....we are all getting pretty coloured bins that will be collected fortnightly if we are lucky

Originally Posted By: andyetfc
Tim - There are many schools in and around the Town who walk to the track and it doesn't take that long. If the track wasn't there, then they would have to 'bus it' to Picketts Lock which would cost money and take time. I think that's what could be at the heart of the matter.

Andy there couldbe schools closer to pickets lock who may now be able to walk there where before it was them who had to use transport to get to QE..

On another note, i think these people against any type of football at the QE are stuck in the 70's and 80's, i believe they fear of a hooligan element from football fans, it is probably there view on the footballing society.

Originally Posted By: Steph
EU

Posting 5:32 on a Sunday morning. Cant you sleep mate?

Not all of us have 9-5 mon-fri jobs, it's a hard life.

But as in my job and in general life i'm also a positive and active minded person that says let ETFC's proposals go ahead and maybe then the schools/footy clubs in our borough will have more suitable training facilities to hire out with the new football facilities and the athletes can use Pickets Lock for there needs. Middlesex CC have the various Cricket venues they use for there community work including the Wilf Slack centre in neighbouring Finchley and Saracens still use the Bramley Road site for there community work, however ETFC have male and female teams from U7's-the senior team playing every week during the Footy season offering football for all except that we dont have a place to call home for the hundreds of local children and there families.

I can remember taking part in the 100 & 200 metres along with others from Ambrose Fleming secondry school in 1976 over at the QE stadium training for the inter-schools athletics day & to a boy we all recorded slower times than we had on our cinder & grass tracks (we were a posh school you know!) on our school field, the reason being this posh red bouncy carpet stuff, that was state of the art at the time, was weird to us all & without spikes, which you had to be really seriously into your athletics to have, and none of us were, then we spent the races looking at our feet & falling about laughing!

A few years later I use to watch my own children in the inter-school primary sports day, good fun indeed, but as it was only used for approx one week a year by schools & not knowing of the winter training of the Enfield Harriers I do wonder what happened on the other say 44 weeks of the year?

No wonder it fell into disrepair really is it?

Originally Posted By: Gazza
I can remember taking part in the 100 & 200 metres along with others from Ambrose Fleming secondry school in 1976 over at the QE stadium training for the inter-schools athletics day & to a boy we all recorded slower times than we had on our cinder & grass tracks (we were a posh school you know!) on our school field, the reason being this posh red bouncy carpet stuff, that was state of the art at the time, was weird to us all & without spikes, which you had to be really seriously into your athletics to have, and none of us were, then we spent the races looking at our feet & falling about laughing!
A few years later I use to watch my own children in the inter-school primary sports day, good fun indeed, but as it was only used for approx one week a year by schools & not knowing of the winter training of the Enfield Harriers I do wonder what happened on the other say 44 weeks of the year?
No wonder it fell into disrepair really is it?

I remember laughing as well whilst watching you 'run'. Bit like you laughing at my golf!