Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

QE 2 Local Area Forum meeting

andyetfc

QUEEN ELIZABETH II STADIUM

Neil Rousell, Assistant Director for Education, Learning and Community

Services explained that he would deliver a brief verbal presentation on the

Queen Elizabeth ll Stadium. He advised that he worked closely with the Parks

officers and that there was an awareness of residents concerns over the

future of the site.

Neil Rousell highlighted the following :

Thanks for going to the effort of communicating those minutes to everyone.

I personally think we are front runners for the QE Stadium so long as the proposals are sensibly put forward as a Stadium in the community purpose (and that is what it's gonna be I know.

It makes promotion very much a priority this season and with that the need of a larger Stadium than the back yard Rovers ground we play on (grateful for all small mercies of course)

It seems to me that the local residents are screaming for an athletics facility when there is no demand from likely users.

Enfield and Haringey AC are using Pickets Lock and they let the stadium fall into disrepair in any event.

Schools are clearly using Pickets Lock and have been told that they can receive financial assistance if they have difficulties.

The "residents" should come clean and state clearly their motives for promulgating their perceived need for athletics facilities when there is no evidence that it is required.

On the variety of proposals issue, I think the original (perhaps slighly modified) options are still there. As an example, 1893's is to keep everybody happy, so is effectively mentioned twice in the minutes as a 'bidder' and a 'consortium' member.

On the evening use point, we shouldn't forget that the site has a long and current history of being used in the evening. It seems to me that it's an attempt to prevent the five a side facility being developed, although might equally apply to 1893'3 new bar proposition. In relation to the former, I think the Council might wish to reveiw it's response here.

Finally, it's a little worrying that the timetable seems to have slipped since March. I hope that's not because of being afraid of the locals & the need to make a bold decision.

Originally Posted By: Steph
It seems to me that the local residents are screaming for an athletics facility when there is no demand from likely users.

Enfield and Haringey AC are using Pickets Lock and they let the stadium fall into disrepair in any event.

Schools are clearly using Pickets Lock and have been told that they can receive financial assistance if they have difficulties.

The "residents" should come clean and state clearly their motives for promulgating their perceived need for athletics facilities when there is no evidence that it is required.

Haha since when has the council paid anything out to anyone when it has to do with sports and sporting events? Many many schools were using the QE stadium as recently as last year to my knowledge and there seemed nothing wrong with the track or the surrounding area whatsoever. There is definately evidence that is required. Not only is picketts lock booked up most of the time but it is clearly a professional venue and is hardly the place schools are going to hold a sports day.

Originally Posted By: football fanatic
Originally Posted By: Steph

Haha since when has the council paid anything out to anyone when it has to do with sports and sporting events? Many many schools were using the QE stadium as recently as last year to my knowledge and there seemed nothing wrong with the track or the surrounding area whatsoever. There is definately evidence that is required. Not only is picketts lock booked up most of the time but it is clearly a professional venue and is hardly the place schools are going to hold a sports day.

Thats where I will correct you my friend.

The fact of why Britain as a nation is falling behind the world in every sport is because our school kids lack world class facilities. The schools sports days and school events should be held at Pickets Lock for the kids of Enfield and those schools that border our borough, as quality breeds quality.

As for the QE Stadium, it needs morning, day and night use that compliments it's 'community status' however within reason of course. This will assist the clubs (Enfield Towns) revenue streams and its ability to regenerate and preserve a wonderful new Footy Stadium that will serve our Borough and national culture/love of the game.

My personal view is that 1893 should look at merging and and join us the fans with one objective only and thats Football in Enfield without any other vested interest. Again in my view, they should be welcomed with open arms and full support of all Enfield Towners for an Enfield 'United' FC

Originally Posted By: Sponsor of Beer
On the variety of proposals issue, I think the original (perhaps slighly modified) options are still there. As an example, 1893's is to keep everybody happy, so is effectively mentioned twice in the minutes as a 'bidder' and a 'consortium' member.

On the evening use point, we shouldn't forget that the site has a long and current history of being used in the evening. It seems to me that it's an attempt to prevent the five a side facility being developed, although might equally apply to 1893'3 new bar proposition. In relation to the former, I think the Council might wish to reveiw it's response here.

Finally, it's a little worrying that the timetable seems to have slipped since March. I hope that's not because of being afraid of the locals & the need to make a bold decision.

Where do evening kick offs stand if this is the case?

Without the backing of a partner with substantial funds the stadium won't happen. Evening use of a five a side facility is where the money is.

I went to the nearest senior school to the QE2 (Stopfords) and most of our annual sports days were held on our own school playing field. So, why are people now bleating about the demise of the QE2 now? A one day per year event? No, of course not. they don't want a football club to use the stadium. It is as simple as that because they think there will be 1000s of fans causing noise and traffic chaos every home game. the reality is that even in tose great old days at Southbury Road the traffic wasn't that bad and there was very rarely ever any trouble (unless you fell foul to good old Lenny's traffic calming measures!!!!!)!

A lot of the talk from residents is all about local schools and there 'sports days', now when i was at school we had 1 sports day for the year and that was it, so why would we have a stadium that would only be used for a maximum of 3 weeks per year for sports days??

E&H have already said they like it at lea valley as this will help to improve there club and the standard of it athletes.

The other moan of evening noise, whats all that about??? have the athletes and crowd at events and training over the years all been silent events?? NO...it seems the locals or 'friends of everyone but etfc' are clutching at straws with some points raised

The other moan of evening noise, whats all that about??? have the athletes and crowd at events and training over the years all been silent events?? NO...it seems the locals or 'friends of everyone but etfc' are clutching at straws with some points raised

I agree totally, ETFC are a positive organisation looking to do good and yet others try and live life with a chip on there shoulder.

In the summer you can hear the hundreds of members and there families splahing, screaming and having a good time at the David Lloyds outdoor pool for hours and why not it encourages sport.

Bottom line is that Football is our National Sport which brings together all members of the community like no other sport in the World, yes I know other sports also bring together local-worldwide folks but not like footy and the London Borough of Enfield would be failing everybody in Enfield if the Supporters Trust organisation did not get the QE Stadium.

The Pickets Lock Centre has already hosted school athletics for my sons school on two occassions this school year, most recently on Thursday with Dwayne Chambers doing the coaching and already with another date scheduled in a couple of weeks so the 'experts' dont think that the facilities are tooo good for the kids, in fact its how it should be.

Originally Posted By: Mr Happy
I went to the nearest senior school to the QE2 (Stopfords) and most of our annual sports days were held on our own school playing field. So, why are people now bleating about the demise of the QE2 now? A one day per year event? No, of course not. they don't want a football club to use the stadium. It is as simple as that because they think there will be 1000s of fans causing noise and traffic chaos every home game. the reality is that even in tose great old days at Southbury Road the traffic wasn't that bad and there was very rarely ever any trouble (unless you fell foul to good old Lenny's traffic calming measures!!!!!)!

You went to school?

There was an outcry when ETFC first wanted to go to Brimmo so nothing has changed with people's thoughts of trouble, noise and inconvenience following football matches.

Let's all try and embrace change and get on with life.

Originally Posted By: Sponsor of Beer
if I were still at school and had the choice of hurtling my athletic frame around the QE every sports day, or the world class facilities used by the UK's Olympians, I wonder which I would go for...?
SO THATS HOW THE TRACK BECAME UNSERVICABLE !!!! biglaugh

Indeed, the 'concerns' raised are all red herrings, 'Nimbyism' misunderstanding and objection for objection's sake - all very common in the English planning sytem I can assure you.

I posted here a long time ago about the total difference between sport and school sports days, which manu of you appear to agree with. In any event, if schools feel they must have their day at a 'venue' (and certainly some schools have no field at all) what is the difference between transport to QE and transport to Picketts Lock? Some will have a bit further to go, some will have a slighlty shorter journey, but both are within the borough! Also, any serious young athlete will train with a club, not their school (as is the case with football).

My understanding is that it is not just the condition of the track that precludes its use as for serious sport. That is absurd, the track could have been maintained and repaired years ago. I gather that the layout does not comply with modern regulations.

Face it guys, the council is not going to let us have the stadium unless we minimize the council's financial contribution: they are looking for income, not expenditure, regardless of what anyone wnats or needs.