Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Dartford 2 BTFC 0

Paul J

Hmm...

I though this game was going to be the same as when we played them at our place.. deserving the win.. but not getting it.. But as the game went on... Dartford seemed to have wanted it more.

In the first half.. and start of the second half.. I though we were the better side, but our attacking wasn't very good and for some reason.. we was defending deep, letting them come onto us, instead of attacking..

However in the start of the second half our attacking was excellent. But then we got caught with too many people up field, and it was also similar for their second goal, but it's not good enough, we have to be alert all over the pitch. I also think that Flack should have been brought on 15 minutes before he was.

Dumas has another good game I thought, but I thought Dorms looked a bit slow and gave away the ball quite easily. Bricknell seems to be a bit more greedy with the ball, keeping it instead of passing it, and Brad seemed to have put on a bad head when he went out on the wing.

I thought we just shaded the first half then tried to step it up in the first ten minutes of the second. After that though we seemed to get tired and Dartford got on top. We worked hard, and with a bit of luck may have got something from the game but it's a bit of a worry if we are looking tired at this stage with a minimum 18 games left to play in the remaining 10 weeks of the season.

For the remaining games we are going to have to rotate our options as much as possible - would suggest that Alaile, Heffer and Flack should start on Tuesday to get some fresh legs in the side. Harry Hindsight is a wonderful friend, but perhaps we should have made another substitution a bit earlier.

Other comments - thought we defended pretty well until getting caught by a sucker punch for the opening goal. The 2nd goal came when we were pushing men forward. Not often I agree with motm at an away game, but their No 6 was excellent. We need to work on our delivery at set pieces - 1st half was particularly poor in that respect.

Dartford had us in the last 20 minutes of the game, which if you consider that we played on Tuesday and they didn't, may go some way to explain why...

...or does it? Due to the weather, which has enforced a break in our season, our players should have enough in them to make two games a week without too much trouble at this stage, surely? Or could the problem be the break. It's almost we're starting the season again.

The other point regarding strikers. Sorry, the first choice doesn't do it for me at the mo. Bradley has put in a lot of effort and in but doesn't hold the ball up which is what we need. He has some lovely touches but for me is a winger who can cut in and score, not a forward. For me, Joe Flack should've started yesterday. Or we should've gone with Jack West (if available).

I think the glaring issue yesterday was that we huffed and we puffed but we didn't take our chances. And as jl has said many times to me, "If you don't buy a ticket..." In 80 minutes, The Dartford keeper didn't have a save to make until when Joe came on...fair enough on was a soft header, easily taken by the Dartford keeper.

We worked hard and showed that we wanted to win and got caught by a "sucker" punch.

I thought we were the better side for an hour, without ever really testing the keeper though. Plenty of possession but lacking someone to have a go at goal. After that we tired and they took over.

The build up to the opening goal summed it up for me, we attacked down the left, cross comes in but no-one gambled to get on the end of it from a few yards out. They break, ball goes wide, cross comes in and they score.

I agree with some of the earlier comments, tiredness is a bit of a worry with two games a week for most of the remainder of the season still to come.

We do need all three points on Tuesday now.

Top ground though.

Simply not good enough. Most of the time we flatter to deceive with players that think they are better than what they actually are. I've resigned myself to the fact that nothing will change, we'll remain in mid-table obscurity, so I personally can't wait for the season to end.

Quality set-up at Dartford, a club clearly geared up for bigger and better things.

Obviously a disappointing result for us, but I don't think we can question the effort and committment from our players.

I thought we were comfortably the better side in the first half, we tried to play and all Dartford offered was a one-dimensional hump up to the big guy.

Second half we started well but Dartford got stronger and looked on top for the final third.

I agree with much of what has been said above. Our players have got to be brave enough to miss when presented with opportunites not pass the responsibility on to someone else. As has been said the most glaring example was the minute that changed the game. Three players in the box, no-one attacked an excellent cross and they go down the other end and score. Their second came after we had gone 3 at the back and Haworth outjumped Aleile. If we want to retain an interest our smallish squad will have to be carefully managed over the coming weeks.

I agree about their ground, a few small issues (maybe the bar and the toilets in the bar could have been a bit bigger - but I am being very picky) - Wouldn't it be nice if Basildon Council would build us a ground like that - lmfao.

I think we just have to take this one on the chin and move on. Hopefully we'll be a bit bolder in front of goal on Tuesday.

Come on you Blues!!

Quote:
(maybe the bar and the toilets in the bar could have been a bit bigger

Glad you enjoyed your trip (maybe not the result).As far as the bar goes I am not sure if you knew that there are two bars. One with the pool table and a even bigger bar at the other end with more toilets

AGREE WITH MOST OF ABOVE & WOT I'D GIVE TO GET THEIR #6 - THE LITTLE BALD SH#T WAS OUTSTANDING - DORMER GOT A MENTION EARLIER FOR BEING 'HARD WORKING' - TRUE BUT HIS FINAL BALL WAS POOR OR HE'D JUST LOSE IT - SERVICE TO BILL & CO UP FRONT WAS ALSO POOR.

NORMALY BILL WOULD PUT AWAY HIS CHANCE (1ST HALF) FOR BREAKFAST BUT NOT YESTERDAY.

VERY EVEN MATCH - CREDIT TO DARTFORD (& THEIR LOVELY GROUND !)FOR SNATCHING IT - NO COMPLAINTS, JUST VERY FRUSTRATING & TYPICAL OF WHOLE SEASON.

It's very frustrating that, with attacking players of the quality we have in Flack, Bricknell, Wareham, BWG & Ferguson we're so often found wanting in front of goal. I suppose one positive that can be taken from yesterdays defeat is that we were by no means out-classed, and our performances against both Sutton & Dartford show that we can live with the teams vying for the play-off spots. But we need to convert our chances to stand any hope of being in the mix with them.

I had mixed feelings about the stadium yesterday. Nice bar & facilities and plenty of parking etc.. but a bit of an institutional feel to it. Certainly one of the better places to visit at this level though, but lacking that "homely" feel of New Lodge or the Bridge etc.. Maybe that will come with time.

Originally Posted By: cody
Quote:
(maybe the bar and the toilets in the bar could have been a bit bigger

Glad you enjoyed your trip (maybe not the result).As far as the bar goes I am not sure if you knew that there are two bars. One with the pool table and a even bigger bar at the other end with more toilets

Oh right - I didn't realise that. I was in the "pool table" bar. Having two bars is just plain greedy grin

By the way does this remind you of anyone? lol... grinarse