Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The quality of the ESL and youth football

I have just read the below link on the bbc website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/gavinstrachan/2009/02/improving_football_for_kids.html

And wondered how this effects the ESL. I would have to say that having played in the Senior League for almost 10 years that I have come across a fair few technically sound skillfull players but the majority of which are more effective due to size, speed and commitment.

I understand winning is a priority, but with the ESL's avergae age getting younger and younger I wonder how many promising yougsters full victim to the ESL's style of football and rather than acting as a stepping stone to bigger and better things actually hinders progression...!!

Just read that article and found the following;

"For example, a goalkeeper, dwarfed by the full-size goal, has little or no chance of doing anything about a high shot. No less daunting for him are his efforts to clear the penalty box with his goal-kicks."

Cant believe he knows about Smallsy!!! grin

bounce yay bounce

Originally Posted By: Kaiser Jnr
Just read that article and found the following;

"For example, a goalkeeper, dwarfed by the full-size goal, has little or no chance of doing anything about a high shot. No less daunting for him are his efforts to clear the penalty box with his goal-kicks."

Cant believe he knows about Smallsy!!! grin

bounce yay bounce

Kasier Jnr that post had me PMSL by far your best post!

A few years ago, the day after an Ajax v Celtic game, I was invited around the club's youth set-up. At this point, you might switch off from reading here, and expect some gibberish about how much technical work they do in training, ball skills, etc, etc, but that wasn't what struck me.

As we were wandering by it was fairly obvious that the training and playing pitches weren't just half size or full size. They had varying lengths and widths. I surmised it was for each year older they became but one of the coaches said "No, no, when we train, we take into account their physical attributes as well as ability. The children you see on each pitch are all different ages."

It seemed such a common sense thing to do, having skillful kids that aren't as physically formed as others their same age on a smaller playing surface, so that they can develop at their own pace.

Sometimes it's not the quality of the play, or even the coaching, but the quality to think laterally that gives you an edge.

Originally Posted By: TB&G
Originally Posted By: CRFC BOSS
and did they mention gay ferett looking feckers who sit on the bench every week ?

No they decided not to make any reference to you on this occasion! grin

I saw the title of ther thread and assumed Zody would feature somewhere........ how wrong one can be!

Originally Posted By: Hookey
The problem is not at academy level, it's at grassroots, where there simply isn't enough room for lots of pitches at different sizes.
U/7 5-a side across a mini -soccer pitch,2 games small goals no goalkeepers.U/8 Goals on edge of area play 6-a side.u/9 play 7-a-side on mini-soccer pitch.u/10 8-A-SIDE mini soccer pitch.U/11 9-A-Side full size pitch goals on 18 yard box.u/12 full size pitch 16 by 7 Goals.U/13 normal size.

You know how precious clubs get about protecting their pitches, especially in the winter. Would they allow the pitch to be used that often? Also, what about pitch markings?

You know how precious clubs get about protecting their pitches, especially in the winter. Would they allow the pitch to be used that often? Also, what about pitch markings?
Play mini-Soccer on Saturdays,Mark out pitches with cones etc...etc.Mini soccer is and was brought in to be an introduction to 11-a-side football.You are saying that we should play on different size pitches and i agree.This is for development purposes not reults so coning pitches off is fine.You will however encounter the mini-morinios who dont give a toss about players learning the game or improvement they just want more goals than the other team when the game ends.This is where we have a problem.The pitch markings can be got around quite easily as can wear and tear of pitches the divs that run some of the teams cannot be educated.Also the pitches would not be getting any more use than normal if these guidelines are used.

btw the standard below the ESL I understand is the Eastern Junior Alliance, recently I have seen when my son played in it the standard at under 18's was very high one season and the next poor,I think also the standard of the coaching comes into this aswell as when it was high we had a UAFA B coach teaching the boys the following season a recently qualified level 2.

Originally Posted By: cider
The problem is not at academy level, it's at grassroots, where there simply isn't enough room for lots of pitches at different sizes.
U/7 5-a side across a mini -soccer pitch,2 games small goals no goalkeepers.U/8 Goals on edge of area play 6-a side.u/9 play 7-a-side on mini-soccer pitch.u/10 8-A-SIDE mini soccer pitch.U/11 9-A-Side full size pitch goals on 18 yard box.u/12 full size pitch 16 by 7 Goals.U/13 normal size.

And what would you know about youth football?????????
Can you coach? are you qualified?