Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Welwyn Garden City 1 - Cockfosters FC 2

Thursday 12th March 2009

Spartan South Midlands League - Premier Division

Welwyn Garden City 1 Cockfosters 2

Cockfosters made it a hat-trick of wins within the space of six days. The latest success came at Herns Lane where Joe Smith gave Cockfosters the lead a minute into the second half. Eleven minutes later Danny Curbelo gave Cockfosters a two goal cushion but that luxury was to last for just five minutes as Stuart Blackburne hit back for Welwyn. Cockfosters had to pull out all the defensive stops from there on but Welwyn rarely hit the target. The pressure was eased as Welwyn were reduced to ten after 85 minutes and the Reds then comfortably saw out the last few minutes

I think we should all take bets on when Oracle will eventually come on to post his version of events from Herns Lane last night, I'll start the ball rolling and say this afternoon at 4.00 whereas if Welwyn Garden City had won he would have posted straight after the game. It was certainly a great victory for Cockfosters and I suspect the so called Dynamic Duo aren't best pleased.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
I think we should all take bets on when Oracle will eventually come on to post his version of events from Herns Lane last night, I'll start the ball rolling and say this afternoon at 4.00 whereas if Welwyn Garden City had won he would have posted straight after the game. It was certainly a great victory for Cockfosters and I suspect the so called Dynamic Duo aren't best pleased.

It was another much needed 3 points Rhodes which the boys worked hard for and the WGC Management were not happy last night

Yes, the recent wins over Hertford Town, Haringey Borough and Welwyn Garden City last night have been just what the doctor ordered and begs the question why you have been struggling all season. I expect the Dynamic Duo were seething particularly with the late sending off, I'll be very surprised if they're still at Herns Lane next season.

Yes, the recent wins over Hertford Town, Haringey Borough and Welwyn Garden City last night have been just what the doctor ordered and begs the question why you have been struggling all season. I expect the Dynamic Duo were seething particularly with the late sending off, I'll be very surprised if they're still at Herns Lane next season.

Ewing has really done well since taking over and only has 4 original players in his squad that started the beginning of the season, the rest are made up from players brought in, some of his ex.ressie squad and under 18's, he has really got the boys heads up and fighting, the team spirit is good, we were missing a couple of key players last night so it was hard for us as well, all credit to the boys!!

Even our Chairman was on the bench with Ewing last night helping out as his number 2 is in hospital, so everyone pulling together down at the Lane!

That's great to hear, I do admire Cockfosters hard work ethic where everyone pulls in the same direction, I think that has always been the case at Chalk Lane hasn't it. I'm sure Del and Steve are perfectly nice guys but they fly by the seat of their pants and that's not always a good recipe in football, I bet they thought they only needed to turn up last night to win.

Full report of last nights game from Cockfosters website

Thursday 12th March 2009

Spartan South Midlands League - Premier Division

WELWYN GARDEN CITY 1 COCKFOSTERS 2

Walking Wounded Wonders Win At Welwyn......

It's true that we are not the only ones, but the intensive schedule of matches that has been inflicted on us and others in the Division would have those at Old Trafford and The Emirates squealing like pigs if anyone even dare mention such a program.

The Cockfosters caravan trundled into Herns Lane with bones creaking and very little left in the tank.

Losing Matt Keogh in the warm-up meant a first minute substitution so the omens were not the best.

Cockfosters were forced to play five across the middle of the pitch with Dan Curbelo playing a lone role up front.

This ploy largely worked well in the first half, the consequence being that Paul Daley was only troubled once in the first half when he had to deal with a Stuart Blackburne shot midway through the first half.

Fabio Valenti also wasted a good shooting opportunity as his drive comfortably cleared Daley's bar.

Welwyn found it difficult to make any worthwhile headway against a wall of red shirts that were intent on protecting what was already in the bank, rapidly shutting down and getting key blocks on as the cause demanded.

With Cockfosters limitations in attack, Mark Blackburne in the Welwyn goal only had a Matt Kearney drive from 25 yards to deal with as his first half contribution, although Danny Curbelo flashed a header over from Joe Smith's corner. Cockfosters may have been short on attacking creativity in the opening 45 but within a minute of the restart the width of the pitch was fully utilised as Matt Kearney played in Joe Smith wide on the right. Smith set sail for the Welwyn goal and his firm finish was partially parried by Blackburne, but not enough to prevent the Reds taking the lead.

Cockfosters defending was not so effective in the early stages and the speedy Welwyn front-line were turning the Cockfosters rearguard and all too frequently it was a race.

One such charge left Paul Daley injured as he came out and clashed with Stuart Blackburne. Having already found the way to goal, Cockfosters went down the same path again. Steve Kessack started the move with a short pass to Joe Smith wide on the right. Smith rolled around his marker and made tracks down the flank before rolling a ball across the face of the goal for Danny Curbelo to lash home.

Sadly from Cockfosters viewpoint the two goal cushion was shortlived as Blackburne smashed home an angled drive five minutes later which would really turn up the heat.

From here on in it was pretty well all Welwyn and although the pressure was intense, the defending matched it.

Although, from a string of corners, Welwyn eventually found the target but the referee's whistle rescued the Reds after Daley was adjudged to have been fouled.

With Welwyn being frustrated by the stubborn resolve of the visitors and their own shortcomings in being able to test the goalkeeper, frustration boiled to the top.

With five minutes of normal time remaining, Welwyn's Junior Lewis, an "experienced pro" did not show that particular quality as he half-volleyed Ian Reddington with the ball dead at a free kick, right in front of the Referee. No option other than to say goodnight - Please switch on the showers.

With that moment of madness came an easing of the pressure and Cockfosters were comfortably able to see out the remaining minutes.

From a team that limped onto the pitch two hours earlier - the bounce in the step and the singing in the dressing room at the end said it all.

Rhodes is just sh*t stirring again Oracle, now he has been cut loose from the Southill project he has free reign on his comments again.

Originally Posted By: NeutralFan

Rhodes is just sh*t stirring again Oracle, now he has been cut loose from the Southill project he has free reign on his comments again

Lol, that's certainly news to me.

I'm sure WGC might do better next year.

Oracle - Do you think both the management and players who have played at this level previously and above have underestimated the quality of the Prem league as opposed to 3/4 years ago when some of the players previously played in this league?

I think there is a real possibility that further rebuilding of the team will be required next year to really put a big championship winning run together.

Super win for Cockfosters they need to keep winning as Kentish Town have a few games in hand but the way they are playing at the moment I am not confident for their safety.

Haringey have been in this situation before so might have the know how get out of it.

Originally Posted By: bosman08

Haringey have been in this situation before so might have the know how get out of it.

Bosman08 - In 2005/2006 'Sugar' actually put his hand in his pocket and forked out for a number of mercenaries to come in which did the trick as they helped to keep the Club in the Premier Division at the expense of Harpenden Town, fortunately for them only one team was relegated that season. The following season however he didn't lift a finger and the Club were relegated albeit returning to the top flight at the first time of asking with Kentish Town, I wonder what he will do this season as Haringey look like favourites at present to fight it out with Kentish Town for the second relegation spot.

as Haringey look like favourites at present to fight it out with Kentish Town for the second relegation spot.

If there are clubs who fail to meet Grade F for their grounds by 31 March (only 18 days away now) they will be relegated. If they do not finish in the bottom two positions, this might mean a reprieve for the clubs that are. There is the now well documented possible scenario that Welwyn Garden City, despite having the most talented squad in the division (some would say) being relegated and their tenants, Hatfield Town, being promoted because clubs coming up from Step 6 have an extra year to get their ground in order! Bizarre.

Roger at Hoddesdon might actually get his wish this year - promotion without earning it!

Originally Posted By: coupwotcoup

recently issued by the Football Association...

THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION
LEAGUES COMMITTEE

Originally Posted By: ORACLE

I'm struggling with the flu at the moment albeit no report from last night

Why would WGC get relegated Horace. Their ground seems fine to me?

Originally Posted By: Horace
as Haringey look like favourites at present to fight it out with Kentish Town for the second relegation spot.

If there are clubs who fail to meet Grade F for their grounds by 31 March (only 18 days away now) they will be relegated. If they do not finish in the bottom two positions, this might mean a reprieve for the clubs that are. There is the now well documented possible scenario that Welwyn Garden City, despite having the most talented squad in the division (some would say) being relegated and their tenants, Hatfield Town, being promoted because clubs coming up from Step 6 have an extra year to get their ground in order! Bizarre.

Roger at Hoddesdon might actually get his wish this year - promotion without earning it!

Originally Posted By: Bilbo

Rhodent, what's all this about you being ejected from Southill, that's got to be your fastest exit from any of the clubs you have been thrown out of

Bilbo - Like I said earlier that's the first I have heard of it, if that's the case it would be nice to be told.
As for Oracle missing a game due to a runny nose that's surely a poor show, I thought he was a dedicated football administrator like John Bacon at Haringey Borough for example who would have to be carried out in a box Jock Stein style before he missed a game.