Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Supplying an Assistant Linesman

I manage a reserve side in SSML Reserve Div 2 and am finding it a right pain in the [****!!****] trying to get someone to run the line every week.

how do other clubs manage to find willing volunteers for this? do you slip volunteers a tenner or something? it a pain in the ar3e that subs are not permitted to do it.....

useful tips welcomed.....

The Doog is King - Yes this has been a huge bugbear at all the Club's I've been with particularly at Tokyngton Manor where the Coach, who was a one man band, nearly always used a substitute as the linesman which resulted in a fine. I also recall dragging people off the street kicking and screaming and asking them to name their price to run the line, I think £30 was the most I ever paid.

The Doog is King - Yes this has been a huge bugbear at all the Club's I've been with particularly at Tokyngton Manor where the Coach, who was a one man band, nearly always used a substitute as the linesman which resulted in a fine. I also recall dragging people off the street kicking and screaming and asking them to name their price to run the line, I think £30 was the most I ever paid.

Yet the fine is £15.

Well, it's always tough to ask a "sub" to do the line. Of course, if you don't list him as a sub for that game, fine avoided.. I believe. Though, $20 seems the going rate.

You pay in dollars?

Edited by petethegreek

Yet the fine is £15.

Yes but you of all people know how I operate don't you and I'm as honest as the day is long

Yet the fine is £15.

Yes but you of all people know how I operate don't you and I'm as honest as the day is long

cheesy%20(2).gifcheesy%20(2).gifcheesy%20(2).gifcheesy%20(2).gifcheesy%20(2).gif

You pay in dollars?

Britman is apparently based in the US, presumably he doesn't have a pound sign on his keyboard

I manage a reserve side in SSML Reserve Div 2 and am finding it a right pain in the [****!!****] trying to get someone to run the line every week.

how do other clubs manage to find willing volunteers for this? do you slip volunteers a tenner or something? it a pain in the ar3e that subs are not permitted to do it.....

useful tips welcomed.....

It'd be interesting to know which Reserve side you run. But I think that you should attempt to get one someone from your club to do it on a regular basis and offer something like free membership or not charge for them to attend a club function etc.

I think that you should approach the League and ask them to consider a course for Club Linesmen too, there are more than enough Instructors on the League's Referee's panel to formulate & deliver such a course and I think it would help you.

I think £30 was the most I ever paid.

If I recall this was when I was at Haringey Borough, John Bacon would always prefer paying over the odds rather than getting a fine from the League

I think £30 was the most I ever paid.

If I recall this was when I was at Haringey Borough, John Bacon would always prefer paying over the odds rather than getting a fine from the League

Unlike yourself, I bet he was never left with EGG on his face cheesy%20(2).gif cheesy%20(2).gif

Well I cut my football administration teeth at Haringey Borough and learned from the master!

It was strange at Haringey Borough as money was no object when you least expected it but when it was something important the Club didn't want to know, presumably you know how their minds work

Do you not have an Assistant or could you not run the line yourself, during my time at Haringey Borough Clement Temile was Assistant Reserve Team Coach for a while when he first joined the Club and he ran the line a few times. I had to pinch myself to see a former Golden Boot winner from the African Cup of Nations running the line for Haringey Borough Reserves.

how did the "Great One" perform as a lino?

Well how long do you have, Clement was unsurprisingly very meticulous and because of his incredible speed, his nickname for Nigeria was the cheetah, he was always up with the play. I cannot recall a controversial decision when he ran the line but, as I said, he only did it a few times before he was promoted to Assistant First Team Coach working with Ged Searson who I gather is now head scout at Gillingham.