Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

xmas rumors

Question for eveyone why do the same managers who are not successful in the essex senior keep getting jobs in the league when there are other managers about with good contacts with players and fresh ideas not getting a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you had been on this site for a few weeks you would have known . For me if someone fails once more than once then their time is up. Some committees seem to just take on and recirculate the same old dross. In my opinion it rests with the committees and they are to blame. Nevertheless, in their defence, the committees can only appoint who applies.I am not sure many of the ESL jobs are that attractive for the commitment required so the regulars seem to apply and of course money and budgets has a bearing. Sad but my opinion.

Edited by Stop Whinging

I suppose it depends on what your definition is of not being successful Argo.

It seems to happen every year in the ESL when clubs who are not doing as well as they hoped they would, stop the money and so managers decide to move on. This opens the door for managers who have a bit of a reputation of coming in and "steadying the ship" until the end of the season which won't cost the club any money.

Who do you follow Argo?

I dont follow any team really but watch a lot of non league games im just surprised of the managers doing the merry-go-round in the ESL when there is talent about in the coaching . I know that there are new managers trying to get into the ESL and they are also sending their cv's into the clubs but are getting no joy but the same old faces are cropping up in the dugout on a regular basis.Perhaps the people that run these clubs are just happy plodding down the middle lane and have got no ambition to progress I Dont Know The Answer

I dont think you need money to succeed if you are a good coach players will come and play for you its all word of mouth ,if your coaching is good that will show on the pitch which will encourage more players to want to play for the manager also the clubs backroom staff should be on the look out for young talent that is playing park football to bring in and coach to a good standard but its about coaching players on the training ground and are most of these clubs in ESL good enough to do this???????

Argo you are obviously a disgruntled manager that hasnt been given a shot at the 'big time' and you are not going to get a job posting your "great ideas" on a forum nobody reads.

Best of luck to John at Bowers and as you can see there is no truth in the original rumour regarding myself. Nice to be talked about though!

Argo you are obviously a disgruntled manager that hasnt been given a shot at the 'big time' and you are not going to get a job posting your "great ideas" on a forum nobody reads.

Best of luck to John at Bowers and as you can see there is no truth in the original rumour regarding myself. Nice to be talked about though!

As Oscar Wilde said, "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's NOT being talked bout"!

the fact is there are managers who can do the job of managing a ESL club and then theres others who come in with 'big plans' and bull sh1t, try to run before they can walk and fall flat on their face,Doyle,Wood,Higley,Watters et cetera know what needs to be done commitees,directors,chairman just want someone who can do the job and cause them the least amount of hassle as possible.

the fact is there are managers who can do the job of managing a ESL club and then theres others who come in with 'big plans' and bull sh1t, try to run before they can walk and fall flat on their face,Doyle,Wood,Higley,Watters et cetera know what needs to be done commitees,directors,chairman just want someone who can do the job and cause them the least amount of hassle as possible.

And therein lies the problem. Committees etc just want an easy life whereas to push on you need to be prepared for a rough ride and reap the benefits later. I'm guessing all these guys and a few more besides are "old school" and are not really in step with the modern game. They'll have "coaches" who make the players run while dragging tyres or have them on road runs in midseason and get them to do sit/press ups as punishment for the most trivial of offences. The reason they do this is because they don't know how to coach football and these dinosaurs are left to their own devices as the Manager has a cosy chat with the Chairman to decide how they can earn an extra fiver out of the players by fining them for not getting plastered in the bar

you're getting confused with 'football club' and 'football team',you think its about a game of football on a saturday its not,now certain clubs in the ESL-Witham,Enfield et cetera their aim is get promoted for the rest they cant go up cant go down,this is what them clubs want from their manager:

if you can try to win more than you lose

dont lose the fecking kit

dont steal from the club

dont sign troublesome players

try to become terry spillane not alex ferguson

now theres the kit,theres the pitch,training balls,match balls,training ground,even a coach to take you to away matches-now you wanted the job fecking get on with it and dont cause us grief. if you want a ESL job thats what clubs want-forget the ego trip,dont walk around with a clipboard chewing gum you're not alex ferguson but one day you might become a terry spillane,john doyle or john higley if you work hard and learn whats needed.

you're getting confused with 'football club' and 'football team',you think its about a game of football on a saturday its not,now certain clubs in the ESL-Witham,Enfield et cetera their aim is get promoted for the rest they cant go up cant go down,this is what them clubs want from their manager:

if you can try to win more than you lose

dont lose the fecking kit

dont steal from the club

dont sign troublesome players

try to become terry spillane not alex ferguson

now theres the kit,theres the pitch,training balls,match balls,training ground,even a coach to take you to away matches-now you wanted the job fecking get on with it and dont cause us grief. if you want a ESL job thats what clubs want-forget the ego trip,dont walk around with a clipboard chewing gum you're not alex ferguson but one day you might become a terry spillane,john doyle or john higley if you work hard and learn whats needed.

Utter nonsense. That's what the committee/backroom staff (kit man etc) do and that's why the majority of ESL clubs will go nowhere. If you can't go up or down it's just an ego trip to tell your mates in the pub that "I'm running/managing a senior club that enters the FA cup" whereas in reality they're fighting to keep their heads above water and know that they would be better off in the Olympian league where there is less of a financial burden. The guys you mention are no doubt committed but they are from the dark ages football-wise and if asked to coach/manage at EOL level where the emphasis is on the team's performance they would fall well short of what is required. Running players uphill and down dale went out with the Ark, they simply do not have the necessary skill or knowledge to operate at any other level, be it higher or lower

BBB what you seem to forgot is that the majority of the clubs in the ESL are run by volunteers and I am talking from the manager to the person who has to pick up the dirty wet kit and wash it (normally at home) so it's ready for the Tuesday night game. All of these people do it for either the love the game or for the love of the football club they are involved with.

Now I'd say that probably Garry @ Witham & Kevin @ Enfield are the only managers who get 'expensives' from their respected clubs, but that barely covers their petrol, phone bills and time spent trying to get a team etc, so the rest of us, me included, do it to for the love or to stay in football.

As for those that run the clubs I can only speak on those I know, which is Shaun Pugh @ Burnham & Richard @ Basildon. Now both of these guys love their club and give up a lot of time cutting the pitch, marking it out, in Shaun's case he washes our kit. They both do all the paperwork, which involves suspensions, games and In Shaun's case that is for FOUR senior teams. Now neither of these guys get a penny and I know that this coming Saturday Shaun will be at Burnham from about 8 o'clock in the morning preparing the pitch for our game against Richard's Basildon.

I'm waffling a bit now but what I'm trying to say is that there are very few people who come into these clubs that will do things for nothing and that is society in general. I would like to finish with asking you BBB - which club are you associated too ??? And would you give up your time to help run a club without any financial reward ???

If youre Olympian team playing on a hired pitch of course you put greater emphasis on the football side of things because you dont have alot else to worry about,maybe many ESL managers wouldnt be ideal for the Olympian League and it works vice versa,as Sorry knows when he gets the Barcelona job he can concentrate on 4-4-2 until then he doesnt have that luxury and he can spend 25 per cent of his time on football and the other 75% on all the other crap,Olympian managers have a lot more time to worry about footballing matters than 90 per cent of the managers in the ESL.

If youre Olympian team playing on a hired pitch of course you put greater emphasis on the football side of things because you dont have alot else to worry about,maybe many ESL managers wouldnt be ideal for the Olympian League and it works vice versa,as Sorry knows when he gets the Barcelona job he can concentrate on 4-4-2 until then he doesnt have that luxury and he can spend 25 per cent of his time on football and the other 75% on all the other crap,Olympian managers have a lot more time to worry about footballing matters than 90 per cent of the managers in the ESL.

All of which proves my point. Clubs are looking for an extra committee member and so they don't utilise the services of someone who can make adifference on the field.

BBB what you seem to forgot is that the majority of the clubs in the ESL are run by volunteers and I am talking from the manager to the person who has to pick up the dirty wet kit and wash it (normally at home) so it's ready for the Tuesday night game. All of these people do it for either the love the game or for the love of the football club they are involved with.

Now I'd say that probably Garry @ Witham & Kevin @ Enfield are the only managers who get 'expensives' from their respected clubs, but that barely covers their petrol, phone bills and time spent trying to get a team etc, so the rest of us, me included, do it to for the love or to stay in football.

As for those that run the clubs I can only speak on those I know, which is Shaun Pugh @ Burnham & Richard @ Basildon. Now both of these guys love their club and give up a lot of time cutting the pitch, marking it out, in Shaun's case he washes our kit. They both do all the paperwork, which involves suspensions, games and In Shaun's case that is for FOUR senior teams. Now neither of these guys get a penny and I know that this coming Saturday Shaun will be at Burnham from about 8 o'clock in the morning preparing the pitch for our game against Richard's Basildon.

I'm waffling a bit now but what I'm trying to say is that there are very few people who come into these clubs that will do things for nothing and that is society in general. I would like to finish with asking you BBB - which club are you associated too ??? And would you give up your time to help run a club without any financial reward ???

OK, I'll give you a bit of background. I'm a retired publican who's been involved in football in one capacity or another for over 45 years from coaching 7 year olds to senior sides, administering olympian & senior clubs and have been Chairman of a youth football club with many teams, I have also been secretaryof a social club with over 2,000 members and am not currently on any football club committee but am vice-president of my local Cricket Club. So you see, I've been there, done that as they say.

So, Mr Sorry, when you've had a virtual lifetime of volunteering without financial reward come back and speak to me. In the meantime, heed my words, move with the times and don't do things the old way "because it's always been done like that". Although in fairness your team plays some good football at times, but when things start going wrong you'll hear all the ne'er do wells telling you "you have to play percentage football in this league" and expect you to revert to long ball stuff. Hold your nerve and don't listen. And that's my point, poor managers/coaches run their players into the ground because they haven't got the know-how to do it any other way

BBB it wasn't a vendetta against you I was just asking the question. By your response I see that you have done the same things as a lot of people at this level. I am a relative newcomer to the management side and the running of a football club albeit only at Step 5 but I can assure you have had my eyes opened a great deal. There is alot of things that players and to ascertain level managers don't know about keeping a club at this level with limited finances afloat. Players just turn up collect their money (if they are lucky enoughto get any) and leave without a thought for the people who actaully run the club. So if a manager comes in he normally has a group of players that follow and that can be attractive to a club especially if a manager has left and taken a number of players with him.

Using a phrase some close to me has said to me and others many a time 'I now have to deal with 16 pairs of boots but while I was playing I was only interested in my own' and that leads me onto my next point. Players come and go I've played with and known players who would move clubs for a fiver more even if it cost them a tenner etc in petrol. There isn't much loyalty from players nowadays hence why clubs at this level look towards people to help run the club efficiently first. I'm sure you would agree it's better to have a safe foundation to build from than looking to get success with nothing to support it.

Finally, thanks for your comments about the team. I always want us to play football and the day we resort to smashing it long is the day I will pack it in. As Cloughie said "If God wanted football to be played in the air he would have put the pitches in the clouds"

BBB it wasn't a vendetta against you I was just asking the question. By your response I see that you have done the same things as a lot of people at this level. I am a relative newcomer to the management side and the running of a football club albeit only at Step 5 but I can assure you have had my eyes opened a great deal. There is alot of things that players and to ascertain level managers don't know about keeping a club at this level with limited finances afloat. Players just turn up collect their money (if they are lucky enoughto get any) and leave without a thought for the people who actaully run the club. So if a manager comes in he normally has a group of players that follow and that can be attractive to a club especially if a manager has left and taken a number of players with him.

Using a phrase some close to me has said to me and others many a time 'I now have to deal with 16 pairs of boots but while I was playing I was only interested in my own' and that leads me onto my next point. Players come and go I've played with and known players who would move clubs for a fiver more even if it cost them a tenner etc in petrol. There isn't much loyalty from players nowadays hence why clubs at this level look towards people to help run the club efficiently first. I'm sure you would agree it's better to have a safe foundation to build from than looking to get success with nothing to support it.

Finally, thanks for your comments about the team. I always want us to play football and the day we resort to smashing it long is the day I will pack it in. As Cloughie said "If God wanted football to be played in the air he would have put the pitches in the clouds"

Well said "young man"

yes sorry players-must have signed 300 in my time at Basildon,charming fellows,all signed up with 9 different clubs feel more loyalty to their sunday team than their senior side,oh and they pay £6 a match to play for their Sunday team,most think they are better than they are, dont know how the managers put up with them,the trouble they cause Secretaries and Managers is unreal.

Just throwing an idea out there....is that because too many youngsters are playing in the essex senior league nowdays? A few years ago it was the case that ESL clubs would gradually bring in youngsters throughout the season to get experience playing with more senior players. I've wayched about 6 games this year and players appear to be a lot younger. I'm not saying its a good or bad thing, just an observation.

Boycie in our case the youngsters we have used all come from our Under 17 side and all want to play for the club. They left Brentwood last season as a team to have a better chance of playing Senior football. The problem I will have is trying to keep hold of them as they will be too good for this level in a couple of years time.

Problem is players think they are better than they are and if they aren't playing week in week out then they move club. They don't have the attitude or application to cope with training twice a week and then not starting on the Saturday. What they seem to forget is that the season is played over 9 months and the majority start more than they don't.