Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Canvey Island 4 - 1 AFC Hornchurch

Matt H

Just the reply we needed after Boxing Day and with our strikeforce having a much needed face-lift, it paid off and all came together against 10-man Urchins.

Although we conceded a well worked goal from Hornchurch, from Canvey's point of view it was quite sloppy. One kick out wide from Goalkeeper, a second cross-field pass over the top of the defence and Touhy was on hand to to finish well.

Again Woods-Garness looked dangerous and even in the first-half he was having the best of our chances. I thought Spendlove did well when he came on, but I thought it inevitable that he would be swapping wings.

Whilst I couldn't see the sending off incident clearly from my position, again it was another inevitable factor and there could've been half a dozen on the Urchins' side that could've been in contention for taking that early bath. Losing Touhy and Hornchurch reverting to three at the back in order to go for a winner/equaliser at 1-1 and 2-1 proved to backfire as Canvey laid siege to their goal.

All the goas were well taken. Hallett made an excellent run and Dobbo was strong to fend off three defenders and stay on his feet to smash the ball home. Woods-Garness did brilliantly to get around the defender and drag the ball back for Hallett's. Again he did great to lay the ball off for Curran, who hit his strike well and Woods-Garness capped off his immense performance with a wonder strike of his own.

I see he's only on dual-registration from Sutton Utd, but it would be great to get it made permanent.

It has to be said with the fresh faces coming in and players looking more comfortable playing a natural football style like we did in the second half today, you have to wonder if the likes of Spendlove, Woods-Garness and Hallett will keep Gordon, Curran and Heale out of the team.

Played really well in the second half. We looked a little lost at times in the first half and players were dragged out of position due to the pace at which Hornchurch played. The side looked more balance when Spendlove came on and Dumas dropped back. When we have players like Spendlove and Rhodes on the wings and with Woods-Garness and Hallet upfront we look really dangerous.

Hopefully we can really kick on now and push for the playoffs.

COME ON YELLOWS!!

Edited by Lefty

You bastards

How dare you beat us.

Agree with Matt with regards to us going for the game,in hindsight we should of closed up shop and played on the break but upto the sending off you was all over the place and jimmy mc must have thought another goal would of killed the game.

I know I won't be popular for saying this but until the sending off I thought it was the poorest Canvey side I have seen for years,I have calmed down a little since the end of the game,would still like to see the sending off again though as the lad misses the Grimsby match now for what many are calling a shove

You bastards

How dare you beat us.

Agree with Matt with regards to us going for the game,in hindsight we should of closed up shop and played on the break but upto the sending off you was all over the place and jimmy mc must have thought another goal would of killed the game.

I know I won't be popular for saying this but until the sending off I thought it was the poorest Canvey side I have seen for years,I have calmed down a little since the end of the game,would still like to see the sending off again though as the lad misses the Grimsby match now for what many are calling a shove

It seems that Hornchurch was ever so unlucky today.

It has to be said with the fresh faces coming in and players looking more comfortable playing a natural football style like we did in the second half today, you have to wonder if the likes of Spendlove, Woods-Garness and Hallett will keep Gordon, Curran and Heale out of the team.

Although I didn't see the game yesterday, following Batchy's comments in the paper about BWG being employed as a forward I think you'll find Healsey and Brad as your front two, as opposed to one replacing the other.

Wherever Dan's played, his best success has been alongside a direct pacy forward (like Brad), alongside Michael Begg and Lyle Taylor when he was with us, and with Billy Holland when he was at AFC Hornchurch.

Just my opinion though...

I haven't seen Batchy's comments, but I would've thought what you've suggested is the most likely outcome.

Using the old classic example of Boylan & Gregory, Heale would be the "Gregory" of the partnership, laying balls off to Woods-Garness acting in the "Boylan" role.

We also have Hilaire to show us what he's got and if Hallett can get back to full fitness and maintain performances like yesterday's he'll be right up there for contention too.

Healsey's partnership with Lyle Taylor at Concord was prolific. If he can link up in the same way with Woods Garness then they should bag plenty of goals.