Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Is everyone feeling comfortable?

seven

Having listened to the world famous Podcast 2 Talk of the tank end of which i was part of, my question "is everyone feeling comfortable" stems from the very good feeling and harmony surrounding the club at the moment which I am delighted about.

The mangement team are very approachable and are willing to chat about any aspect of the game. It is also so nice to see the players in the bar after a match and they too are very approachable.

However as a club are we feeling that draws and defeats are ok because of this happy atmosphere. Could it be that some players in the side win, lose or draw are feeling comfortable about their position or should we expect more? Please dont interperet this post as a slight on the management team or players as I have watched most games this season and the effort and endeavour has been noticable.

Was sorry to hear of the departure of Tom Kaneck and would not like to see any other players depart. With some regular faces warming the bench each week would it be nice to see them given an opportunity to play thus creating competition for places?

I am aware that I do not see what goes on at training and this is only a supporters opinion and I am behind the management and team 100%

Draws and defeats are not good enough when we play teams below or around us. However, I am sure i am not the only one to feel that the NGU game was very frustrating and concidered it 2 points dropped. Then there was the St Neots draw, where Swifty said something along the lines of "one of the best results he has ever seen at the club"

I think we are a young team and the effort shown this season has been fantastic. I am sure they as a team want to win every game but sometimes errors and naivety that come with having young players dont allow it. Personally I am happy to see them giving everything for the club and try not to get top high on a win or low when we dont.

What do the other forumites think?

I agree with both you chaps.

32 points from 25 games is respectable, especially bearing in mind the (lack of) time Burgo had to shape his squad and management but, from what I've seen, we should have beaten Woodford United at home (lost) and AFC Hayes (drew) and possibly also Bedfont Town (lost), plus we should have beaten NGU away (drew). Had we won those four games, our record wouldn't be 8-8-9 but 12-6-7 and we'd have 42 points, which would be play-off material. Such fine lines between being successful and being satisfactory.

We've just given away too many soft goals and not taken the number of chances our play has deserved. Work in progress, the effort can't be faulted, and the camaraderie's obvious. We're not all that far away from stepping it up a notch.

It's a great question, this.

I don't think anyone at the club is "comfortable" with losing a game. I'm certainly not, as the club shop door can testify (it has had a few thumps this season already).

However, it doesn't spoil my weekend in the way it used to and I seem to bounce back quicker from a defeat than I once did. Maybe that's because as Lilly grows up I get more perspective about the game (it is supposed to be fun, after all!) and I can't go around brooding about the match because I need to be switched on for her.

Maybe, because of the circumstances in which Burgo got the job, he has been given a longer "honeymoon" period than other managers might get at other clubs or even at this one.

Or maybe the process we went through last season has given everyone a different viewpoint. Success is relative and my view of what would constitute a successful season is completely different now to two or three years ago. As we stabilise the club, that view will almost certainly change again, but not for a while, I suspect.

It's worth remembering that Sir Alex Ferguson took four years to win his first trophy at Manchester United. I'm not saying Burgo should be untouchable, but I am delighted that, as a club, we are taking a long-term approach to the football side of things rather than chasing instant success.

I've made my thoughts on this subject public many times, especially during my time "In The Chair"

I would be more comfortable supporting Ashford Town in the Combined Counties than having NO Ashford Town to support. Yes everybody, at every club, including me, wants to see their team play at the highest level possible but in this day and age that has to be tempered against financial constraints and not chasing impossible dreams. No disrepect intended to anyone involved in the club but I think that we are all aware in the past we have overstreched ourselves to reach those levels. Luckily we have been able, with hard work from a lot of people, to get keep the club on track.

Burgo and his team are doing a magnificant job on a VERY limited budget (probably one of the lowest in the league) and I've been surprised by the quality of players we have and the quality of football we're playing. I know Burgo is still trying to improve his squad and it is unfortunate that we may lose some of our "fringe" players in this process but it's understandable that they want to play football.

It's interesting that one of the main complaints about Jamie last year was he continually changed the side, now it seems to be being suggested that Burgo should change the side more to keep players interested.

As Beano said and I've said in the programme notes in the past, non-league football is supposed to be fun, so whatever level we're at love it when we win, be disappointed when we lose but most of all enjoy the day and the friendly atmosphere that is Ashford Town. I believe we have a VERY SPECIAL club.

Off soap box now ... SBF

Edited by SlimBoyFat

Phil, I understand your point about people being unhappy when Jamie constantly changed the squad and some people now asking Burgo to swap the team around, and it's a fair point.

I think the main difference is that it got to the stage where Jamie was bringing in brand new players almost on a weekly basis and putting them straight into the first team to the detriment, and possibly disrespect, of lads who'd been in or on the periphery of the first eleven for some time. A lot of these new faces were here today, gone tomorrow, and not many of them added anything to the first team or frankly even looked bothered, and I'm not alone in thinking that.

With Burgo, we have a decent squad of about 18 talented and dependable lads, with some on the bench waiting for a chance, and Burgo sometimes seems reticent to give the lads on 'the outside' a chance, either as an impact sub or with the odd start. I think some supporters are just worried that some of the bench warmers will look elsewhere, like Tom, who was unfortunate to have started the season like a train and then lost out through injury.

Well Well this is just like the old forum. Great post and great replies long may it conyinue. As for the question I personally am content with the situation.I certainly don,t want to see loyal players move on but the buck stops with Burgo so the final deciision must be his