Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Supporters game

staines_rebel_Jr

Hi Staines.

As far as I'm aware it is on. Dan has been training with the opposition last week and they are still up for it.

I would welcome a kick about but would have to fit around work so one evening at say power league or Saturday for those of a not travelling to daventry?

Yes the game on the 3rd is still on, as well as the game on the 24th (as far as I know, Rugby are not being too keen on committing so far).

We have a squad of 13/14 I think (but could always do with extra players, even if people can only do 15mins), the pitch and changing rooms are booked for 11am kick off and the opposition are up for it.

The only things we need now are to know who has the supporters team kit and also to ask if anyone is willing to be a referee for 45minutes? Hop Leaf said that they have a couple of people who can ref, but they do also want to play!

I have bad news I'm afraid. Just found this message from Tom at Rugby in my inbox on their forum:

"I am struggling to get a team for this fixture. I am really dissapointed with the response but none want to travel early and a few are missing due to work commitments. I and a couple of others are beating ourselves up about this as this has been a really enjoyable experience with yourselves and a request for you to host us seems like a slap in the face. Don't want to fall out with anyone at Slough over this as we have made some good friends there because of these games. Hope you understand. We have invited St Neots over for a game prior and people are interested in this but to travel early they are not."

A real shame, considering we were very much looking forward to this game and also the fact that we travelled early morning/for the weekend in order to play them twice last year. So this game is off. I very much doubt that we would be able to arrange a team to play at St Neots in time considering how hard it has been to get a squad together for the home games.

The game against the Hop Leaf Reserves is still going ahead on March 3rd, kicking off at 11am at Farnham Park and the opposition are very much looking forward to it as it will be their first game in a while due to the snow and lack of fixtures. They should also bring a few to the first team game in the afternoon.

The only alternative I could see for a game vs Rugby would be to drop in and play them on the morning of our game against Woodford on the last day of the season, as Rugby are at home that day. Given that that is the day where the sponsored walk will be finishing I assume we would be missing a couple of players for that, not to mention the travelling distance, so seems unlikely but there is no harm in seeing who is available. Let me know.

Another alternative is to invite St Neots to play us at home on the day that they play at Marlow on Saturday April 7th. We are away to Bedfont that day so it would work in a similar way to the original Rugby fixture. I will stick a message on their forum and see if they are interested.

Sorry to keep throwing messages on here today, but I have a further update - please make sure you read the two previous messages if you haven't already!

There is a possibility that Mark44 has arranged a team for us to play at Farnham Park on Saturday 24th March now that Rugby have cancelled. They are Shinfield FC and they will confirm later this week subject to them getting enough commitment from their players. They play at around the same level at the Hop Leaf team we are playing on the 3rd.

I am waiting for a moderator on the St Neot's forum to grant me access to their board as a new member, so will get on there as soon as I can to suggest a fixture for April, but I suspect that we could get the same outcome as the Rugby game (unless any of our St Neots friends on here wish to comment?).

So fingers crossed for two games next month, even if they aren't against other supporters teams.

Looking forward to the game on the 3rd and if we could arrange for something on the 24th that would be great as I've a mate coming down from Manchester who is keen to play. Any other game that could be arranged would be a bonus but as I'm intending on walking to Woodford I most definitely will not be playing a game that day!

Mark-that's ok as long as anyone else you asked can still play.

Right we are all set for the game next Saturday. The opposition are well up for it.

The team currently looks like this, so we are down to quite a small set of players:

Myself, Mark44 + friend, Tom, Nigel, Bruce, Radders, Sr Jr, Martin and the ones who haven't confirmed Gary T, Matt C and Marcus.

Have I missed anyone?

So then, anyone who has either said maybe or that they would play if really needed - we need you! No matter how long you could play for or your ability, we do not currently have a full team. I have had offers from the opposition to lend us players if we need and Mark44 has offered to find us players but there must a few more Slough fans who can play?

On another note, St neots forum moderators have still not allowed me access to their forum 2 days on, so chances of a game against them seem slim.

On another note, St neots forum moderators have still not allowed me access to their forum 2 days on, so chances of a game against them seem slim.

Try registering using your normal name or at least your first name and it should get approved. Hope this helps

Try registering using your normal name or at least your first name and it should get approved. Hope this helps

......says "Manimal" ;)

I'm sure I read readingrebel posting on there the other day under his forum guise! That said, their chairman has been on there requesting users register under their real names. An idea we should embrace on here...

I think that may well be the case but you existing users can add their real name to their profile which appears on the right hand side of things they post.

The St Neots forum is the first place where I have had to be accepted to join, a bit strange and a bit annoying because I have not been able to get on there despite making a second application with a different screen name.

We still need players for the games on the 3rd and 24th March. Shinfield FC have confirmed they will play us on the 24th. If you know anyone who would like to play please invite them along as we do not quite have a team of 11 let alone a squad with subs to roll on and off. If you have been considering it but not spoken up then please do!! Unfortunately only having the Daventry game between now and the first game doesn't give me much chance of getting more people on board like a home game would.