Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Rayners Lane

Will this be the first time we've played Rayners Lane competitively since our first ever FA Cup tie?

For those not around at the time (and I wasn't at either match myself) we got a 2-2 draw away, marred by a broken leg to Vinny Hillier, then the replay on August Bank Holiday Monday morning saw us down to ten men after barely a minute, when two Ashford players (I believe one was Colin Hammond) clashed heads going for the same ball and neither could carry on, and it was in the days of just one sub. Admirably, we only lost the game 1-0 and then had to wait five years for our next FA Cup tie as we were refused participation due to no floodlights.

Looks like a difficult tie. Rayners Lane may be two divisions below us, but their tails are up after many years of stagnation due to no permission for lights, and they're still in with a shout for promotion. Also, they've won two previous ties on penalties this season so they're resilient. Let's stay sharp and focussed, play like we have done recently, and let's make it two cup finals in the space of two days in May.

Eddie, you are overlooking our 2nd Qualifying Round Middlesex Senior Cup tie at home to Rayners Lane on Tuesday 9 November 1993, when we won by three goals to one, after leading one-nil at half-time. Our scorers were Andy Smith, Mark Harrison and Nick Lyons with a penalty.

We went on to play Yeading in the next round and promptly lost 0-6!

For nostalgia sake, our team against Rayners Lane that evening was:

Paul Burgess (anyone remember him?), Martyn Spong, Jim Heggarty, Mark Harrison, Nathan Wharf, Dean Rix, Mark Silbery, Nigel Mathurin, Andy Smith, Keith Hoad, Nick Lyons, SUBS: Wayne Hancock and Phil Underwood (GK).

Referee was Mr. Barnard-Smith, who will be remembered by some for his striking resemblance to Jimmy Hill. He must have had a good game as we awarded him nine points out of ten (or maybe he bought the Secretary a couple of pints)

Martyn (Spong) played at left back for us, for a couple of seasons, maybe a bit less. He went on to associate himself with Staines and for many seasons worked with Mark Fabian, in charge of Staines U18's. I believe that he now runs the Capital League side at Staines and we still see him occasionally.

Wayne Hancock, who was something of a coup when we signed him after he left Staines, and Dean Rix, both went on to play for Spelthorne Sports over many seasons I believe. Wayne was a striker in the Richard Butler mode whilst Dean played in midfield.

Apropos of nothing, I went to school with Wayne Hancock's sister. When I were a lad, he was a player that us callow youths looked up to. Not that I was ever any good, which is why I ended up in football admin...

Oooh dear, Dan, you should know by now... never diss a Smoggy!

Besides which (I'm sure I'll get a wedgie for this...) who cunningly timed their pre-match announcement last Tuesday so I couldn't cheer the lads onto the pitch for fear of interrupting the tannoy? :P

...and don't get Kev started on Rafflegate again either!! :lol:

Wealdstone here we come!!

Save your pennies for two finals in the space of three evenings in May!

An assured performance by the lads. We deserved the half-time lead yet, while it was still 1-0, Rayners Lane had a chance of getting back into the game, but the lads totally dominated the second half, pressing the visitors back and deep into their territory and preventing Lane from having a single shot at our goal in the second period.

'Cracker' Jack Mullan took his two goals like a striker, Kofi's gently curling low shot into the far corner from the opposite edge of the area was sublime, and Conor stroked his effort home like a seasoned old pro. Praise to Pietro and Ashley, who did wonderful spade work for Kofi's and Conor's goals and who deserved to get on the scoresheet themselves.

The lads made it look easy and seemed comfy against a Rayners Lane side who were a bit moany, but who showed some nice touches, and their keeper James Harry made three excellent saves, the first one from Pietro's rasping shot probably the long range save of the season. Best of luck to The Lane in their push for promotion.

As for the final result, fully deserved. Burgo and the management team should be very proud of their own achievements and also the spirit shown by this group of players. Now let's try and put the icing on the cake.
Edited by Swifty

A very competant performance from the lads all over the pitch. Keeping a dogged Rayners Lane team to a single shot at goal which was deflected onto the bar.

My man of the match was Kofi who is really coming on well and hit a sweet curling shot to put the game to bed.

Congratulations to Conor who struck his first senior goal after being denied one by the ref a few minutes earlier for no reason other than challenging the goalkeeper for a loose ball!

A very nice bunch Rayners Lane and i hope they go on to get promoted this season.

Another final reached, another clean sheet and another quality night at the RPS ! Nice. B)