Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Same Old Managers/Players in the ESL Debate

Out of those sides you have mentioned though a good 50% of those are probably not too far from going back into the ESL

I just think an Essex league is far more attractive as a fan if it was to have representation throughout Essex.

While areas like coggleshall aren't massive,they are in areas where a Saturday game of football at a decent level could possibly draw a decent side crowd from the town & surrounding areas

not sure why Ilford always seem to get mentioned in these 'reprieve from Ryman relgation debates' as if they are constant customers . Considering they probabaly have the lowest budget in the Ryman they are run efficiently with no deby and always manage to finish out of the relegation places in two seasons under Chris Woods and Bert Hoyte and two more under Colin Walton and Bert Hoyte. They have seen relegated in their time Witham, Hillingdon, Waltham Forest, Harlow, Leyton and now Wakering et al, ll who were throwing mnore money at the problem than them. They last finished in a relegation position in 2007-08 under Rod Stringer but were reprieved but at least won 6 out of their last 8 to lose out on a goal difference of -1 to Tilbury .

Its pot luck if the season you are relegated there is a reorganisiation which reprieves you but Wakering only winning one game in 25 under Trenkel doesnt exactly put them in a strong position to complain as they are not even in touch with any team near them after being 7 to 8 points clear before he took over. The Ryman League is tougher now than it ever was as the Eastern Counties teams ensure that Brentwood, Enfield and Grays all find it harder and harder to come out of that divison and the bottom two are never the same

Edited by manontheinside

why would Nick Robinson and the Isthmian League do that? no sense in throwing ideas out there which are not workable, the hospitality and quality of most of the grounds at Ryman League level are far superor to many in the ESL and I dont think too many clubs in the Ryman would want to go back to sample the delights of Basildon, Apsa, Clapton, Bethnal Green ...etc , the clubs with the poorest facilities in the Ryman are usually defined by poor changing room facilities ie Redbridge, Brentwood, Watham Abbey or Potters Bar, the pitches and clubhouses are usually adequate but the same cannot be said for most of the ESL

The Isthmian will have no benefit to giving clubs to Step 5 leagues and why should they, they washed their hands of the rubbish which was Ryman Div 2 of which Clapton, Hertford Town, Wembley, etc were a part of years ago in a massive restructure and only Witham , Ware and Chalfont St Peter have produced teams good enough to get back to step 4 or have facilities good enough to be accepted at that level if you dont believe me look at the last season of that league

http://www.football.mitoo.co.uk/LeagueTab.cfm?TblName=Matches&DivisionID=2857&LeagueCode=ISTH2005

Wow alot to be read and said on this topic.

Yes managers sort of know what they are letting themselves in for at clubs before you go to them you end up spending your own cash and invest loads of time when i arrived at Bas i brought balls bibs tracksuits bench coats, warm up tops to make us look a team and even new floodlights for the training area then put them up ourselves only to have them tampered with... so what happens next the lads and a great set of lads i have all agree to chip in to pay for an astroturf so we can train each week out of their own pocket!

Take yesterday or this week for example on thursday me and my boy cut the whole pitch with a hand mower and a ride on that works and then stops and goes when it likes 5 hours ( only 5 hours.)

We then try to unblock the away changing room drain with our rods as its only been blocked for 3- 4 weeks now! Then finally put the kit out (which was washed by my misses to save some money) for saturday.

Onto Saturday arrive for the game at 11.45 after printing the programme and get told the lines need marking so off i go to use the marker that goes when it feels like it and struggle to mark the pitch out. Pump the match balls up which my assistant has bought. Then look at the nets to find gaping holes in them and tape the nets up ala sunday style! Try to get the tannoy system working as we are having a few more people in today im told but its been sabotaged so a waste of time.

Team talk,Team sheet, warm up, lose my phone in all the many jobs ive done(great news that not!) The lads battle out well take the lead and eventually lose like previous weeks go down with 100 per cent effort.

Back in the changing room sweep it through kit in the bag, no butter sandwiches for me phew lucky there( sorry rich).

Into the bar give out our awards which i had brought on friday.

Have the endless debate over whats happening next season which is a head banging constant chore over the last few weeks with different situations being dreamt up day by day goalposts moving every hour!

Drive home at 7pm thinking thats why i love football yes i do love it and yes there are mugs out there who would love to do it. Would they do it with all the sh1t involved?? I dunno but ask Doyley hes done it ask Wilf at Clapton we are the reason these clubs survive . But good people dont always get the good jobs Keith your lucky to have great set up and support id love that too but to make it like that either id have to have a major backer who would fund me or do it myself and i have no backer (not for the crayzy amount of money thats being branded around for having the honour of those priceless initials on the tracksuit at Bas.) So you end up making the best of what youve got and that means using that mower and marker that dont work.

I was at Ilford waitied 6 yrs to be 1st team manager (my dream job)and then when i got the job with the lowest budget they ever have had (£330)in those 6yrs. I managed to get them their highest finish and guess what i cut the pitch there too, swept the dressing rooms trained in almost darkness with the boys..put up with endless dribble written in the home programme by someone that should have known better (having seen times when the team was being backed to the tune of £1500 per week to finish bottom of the ryman 1 two seasons running). All i wanted was backing and i didnt get it there as all i wanted was another £90 to push on for play offs as we were 8th and i never got it. It can be done it was being done and im sure Colin is still doing it on the same sort of budget? There were good people like Roger who just love the club at Ilford too but not enough to move it forward and no one willing to invest in the way needed to push on.

The better team position better crowds debate well it doesnt work at Basildon or Southend Manor, Ilford, Waltham Forest, Hullbridge i could go on. at ilford we played Colchester in the essex cup after lots of exposure about the game on a Wednesday night with Col U having eight 1st team players in the starting line up and attracted a crowd of 79!!! It just wouldnt happen for certain clubs no matter what. Its a sad thing.

Now people quote Rod Stringer who has done fabulously where ever he has been but its about backing when you start out and he has been very lucky with backing at all his clubs lets face it rumour has it he left Braintree cos the club car wasnt up to scratch!!! Oh no shocking! so would Rod have liked to have done all the crap jobs to get there?? Jury is out on that.

Rod had backing its all about backing and without backing its down to hard work to get it done yourself if you want it done and get on with it. Does it make Rod a worse manager or a better one? no it doesnt. Does Rod love football more than me, Keith, Colin, Doyley et all no way! we all love it and its about breaks and cash at the end of the day.

Rich is a good man so is Matt at Basildon and unless youve done the job you will never know what its really like most would hate it and although it would be ever so nice to have everything in place just so you get on with managing the team its so far from the truth. Without people like these Bas would be dead in the water.

So there is an insight into the real life of a Manager at a local club yep mug i am but do i love it yes i do, give me the tools and ill get it done.

'The boss' is a screename and no ive not got my initials on my tracksuit lol

Bit like piper screename should read pipeup! Who ever you are!

Edited by theboss

You make some good points re: all the hard work you do & well done, it's a thankless task. Been there, down that & had enough myself now.

What i don't like is you coming on here & digging out another Manager. That's poor form. When Rod was at Barkingside, i don't remember them having a big budget, same with Barking & when he was Don's assistant at Sawbo. He's a proper football man & deserves the success he's had.

If he's gone to clubs, where they've had good committees & volunteers, fair play to him. He wants to concentrate on football & not get side tracked. Even now at Bishops Stortford, the budget he has for that league & all that travelling will be one of the lowest & the job he has done since then has been fantastic.

I don't think Woodsy is digging him out, I think he is making the point that Rod has always been at clubs with a good set up and because of that has done well bcause he can concentrate on football.

That's how I read it too Jenks.

I'm sure that is the case, but i just thought it was a bit sarky the way he wrote about the way Rod left Braintree. Considering what he achieved in just 1 season there was pretty amazing. Managing in a national league like the conference is not like managing in the ESL is it. Plenty of driving & scouting is needed, so a request for a car to use on club business wasn't

way off the mark.

Rod had a big bidget at Braintree though didn't he?

Haha I'm not interested in how big his Bidget is !

Seriously though from what I was told it the budget wasn't that large, certainly not as big as what Lee Patterson or Robbie Garvey had, but then again 99% of gossip about budgets is Bull$hit.

true story-i was given a bike at Basildon to make the 8 mile round trip to the ground and back but unfortunately it was nicked, just as well really as it had no brakes and the journey home is all downhill.

Was that the Basildon Chopper? Or were you gifted time on the BMX?

true story-i was given a bike at Basildon to make the 8 mile round trip to the ground and back but unfortunately it was nicked, just as well really as it had no brakes and the journey home is all downhill.

my nickname of 'the Basildon Chopper' doesnt refer to my bike riding activities.

my nickname of 'the Basildon Chopper' doesnt refer to my bike riding activities.

But you did wear cycling clips during the videos?

I see that Saffron Walden town are back up and running,applying to enter next seasons FA Vase and holding a work party this Sunday to clean up the ground and they have over 200 members on board.

They are also deciding this week which league they will try to enter but shouldn't they just be put straight into the Essex Senior League with a ground like theirs and the support they seem to have???

• 1 month later...

Saffron Walden are trying to get going but i don't think they're going to be able to get a team together in time for the new season.

Well supported club with a great stand and set-up...such a shame they had to pull out last year really. on't think they'll want to go back into the ESL if they can help it though, their preference would be to go back into the Ridgeons league as the league itself is viewed as a much better platform.

Heard a rumour spillane has left Redbridge due to the chairman leaving what chance of him popping up at Enfield or maybe Eton manor maybe?