Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FAO Micky Woodham

Rother

I appreciate that it's going to take a while to get a settled team, and to get the squad fit enough to compete for 90 mins but I'd really like to know what is actually happening right now, what you've learned so far, how the squad is shaping up in your mind.

We have new players popping in every game, only to (seemingly) disappear... Christ knows how many players we've used this season, is that likely to end soon, are players not coming back because they dont fancy it or are you trialling all and sundry to see who's good enough for the 1st team squad long-term?

I think the fans have been very supportive and patient but probably deserve to hear a bit more info now.

Thinking about it, Humpty's thread asking for an update / forum has already covered this I guess.

Mick has written two sets of fairly comprehensive programme notes thus far, and with a couple of weeks before the next home programme I suspect the next set will be fairly comprehensive. Trying to attract players who a) will play for the love of playing and B) who are not already tied to a club is difficult.

If it were easy to have the pick of the best 11 players in the area, ask them to play for you for free and walk away from current commitments then I reckon even Humpty would stand a chance of winning football matches!

Don't lose the faith, it's frustrating but when we've won a few games and have 8 first team regulars, we'll look back and wonder what the fuss was all about.

If I'm honest, I'm disappointed there's even a hint of negativity....lest we forget February 2011.

In response to this I would say Be Harris, Lazza, Gould, Tom Mudge and a couple of others have played a few games now. The goal keeping situation is not the greatest we have ever had at the club but so far I have seen nothing but total commitment and dedication. Its fair to say some have shined brighter than others but we have to accept when you put a team together with no budget players will come and go. the level of commitment to the cause has been great, we can all see where we need strengthening and at times difficult to watch but look for the positives and the long term gain. Remember also the manager is trying to secure players all the time and maybe doesn't want other clubs knowing who.

I think you need to wait for the dust to fully settle and then when we have this more settled squad see where we are.

I've mentioned this thread to Mick as I know he doesn't 'do' forums and for managers I think that's correct as comments will attract attention from too many anonymous keyboard warriors !

What he did say though is that if anyone wants an update he is approachable and doesn't bite and is more than willing to talk to people face to face if they have any questions.

Doris made a few valid points to which I would add that the only opportunity we will get to see if a player is good enough is by trying them in a 1st team game as you can't tell just from training sessions and we don't have a reserve team to look at players we're trialling.

Anyone who's been around the non-league game for a while should know exactly what we're up against and nobody said it would be easy as if you're not paying anything then other calls become the most important ie Ben Wilson called into work yesterday morning and Stanley Mugisha offered money to play for AFC Hayes. Neither player is at fault but at 11 o'clock on a Friday night it doesn't help Mick's cause in selecting a squad for the following day !

It will take a special type of player to come on board with what we're hoping to achieve and people like Ben Harris who wants to play in every game injured or not, Ollie Beasley who's been ill all week with tonsilitis but really wanted to play or Chris Dean who two seasons ago was a paid full time professional player but told Mick after yesterdays' game that he loves it here and wants to stay and help us achieve what we're attempting to do are an example of the type of player we need right now.

I can't remember if I said it on here or maybe in a conversation with someone that September and October are gooing to be like a second pre-season for the squad and now we have no midweek games for a few weeks it means Mick and the squad get two sessions a week on the training pitch to iron out all the little wrinkles that they haven't had time to do before now.

One thing you shouldn't underestimate though is the amount of time Mick is putting into the job watching games on Sundays and midweek to try and find players that will be the type we want and it will all fall into place soon which still gives us the best part of six months to show what they can do.

I had a little bet with someone last week who said if we finish one point above relegation it would be a good season and I said we'll finish between 6th and 12th but would be slightly disappointed with anything lower than 8th - let's see if I'm right come the end of the season !

As Doris said, remember February 2011, one of the darkest times of my life certainly and I'd rather see us win the league in 2 or 3 years time than fold up in six months because we'd spent more than we could afford ! As supporters we have actually been spoilt over the last few years having had a squad that was overpaid for the level we were at but did mean a higher quality player than you would normally expect to see so we got used to winning most of the time but reality has kicked in now and you have to expect something different which isn't to say we can't hope for success but the expectations have to be lowered to fit the reality.

Whilst we do lack technical ability in some areas at the moment you cannot fault the effort from everyone and that is exactly what most CCL teams proved to us last season, you don't have to be the best if you have the will and fitness to compete - just remember how we struggled against some of the so-called lesser teams last season as a prime example of what can be achieved with willingness and team spirit.

I must also say that that team spirit and willingness shown by the team is mirrored by our supporter-base who, by and large, have shown nothing but encouragement to the team home and away so far when it would be so easy to whinge and moan, but I think that's because they know the reality of what we're trying to do is not an overnight thing and are prepared to be patient for what is to come in the future which is a stable club with players who really do want to wear their town's colours and can see their younger mates/brothers progressing through the youth setup into 1st team reckoning rather than imported players with no real pride in what they do as long as they get paid for doing it.

Here endeth the lesson !

Thanks for the very informative post. I think the supporters are perfectly in step with the long-term philosophy and recent measures taken, and indeed accept that patience and faith are required as far as the playing side is concerned.

But having a proper understanding of the reality of the challenges faced by Micky & Co is very helpful and I think that flow of information should be encouraged.

Thanks again.

Good post Steve.

Having seen Windsor get relegated 3 season’s running back in the 90’s, losing a few games mid-season isn’t really something to be too concerned about.

Results will improve, we have been unlucky not to get a result in numerous games recently, the tide will turn soon, we just need to be patient and keep the faith for a little while longer.

I think Mick is doing a great job and unlike his predecessor he isn’t able to tempt players to the club by chucking them loads of sweeties. Most players at this level are already going to be

committed to clubs for the season. It’s going to take time to get a settled side together.

What we are seeing at the moment is 11 players on the pitch all giving 100% and playing for the shirt, it makes a refreshing change.

Keep up the good work Mick

Steve's post has summed up beautifully everything that is great about Windsor FC. Mrs Cat and Doris also sum things up really well. I for one am going to raise a glass or 3 when Mick's pups get their first win. It's great to hear about everyone connected with the club pulling in the same direction and that is what makes us special.

Come on you Stags!

Totally in step with everything you wrote Steve. We're lucky to enjoy such good support, and the fact such good numbers still turn up proves it's more than just about the First Team. It's about the Club. Yes, of course it's frustrating as time goes by and we haven't yet been able to achieve off the pitch what was proposed, but the belief and desire remain. It's great being able to chat with Mick about the highs and lows of performances, let alone being enthused by his knowledge, experience, and encouragement for his young players. Have a chat with him - you know it makes sense!

Yep, all good replies, mostly from ex or current committee members.

I think the openness of everyone on the inside is commendable but not everyone has the time/ inclination to step up and ask the questions that are on the mind.

I know some things need to be kept off public forums / media but please don't forget to keep the fans informed as much as possible. In a time of struggle and transition I think the importance of that is multiplied several times over.

Onwards and upwards!

Archived