Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Query re badge from a bygone age

Swifty

Did the club ever produce a metal badge before the familiar tree design?

A badge retailer I buy from has one for sale, for twenty quid (!!!), advertised as "Ashford Town SC (Middx)", though the county isn't shown on the badge.

It's a basic design - a white leather panel football enclosed by a tangerine circle with ASHFORD TOWN FSC in gold letters - and this sort of design was used by several clubs in the 70's and 80's.

The badge has the right colours for us, as the former similarly named Kent team wore green and yellow. Just curious!

That was indeed the first issue as a senior club, also produced in away colours (I really should get out more!) and - sorry, Alan - retailing for around £4 these days on the collectors' market.

The badge I'm curious about is the one in the top right of the attached page. You'll need to increase the magnification on your PC to see it better. http://www.terrysbad....uk/gold_A.html

I just wondered if the club issued a badge back in the intermediate days and, if so, if this is it. If this is the genuine article, I'll make a bid for it to go on my scarf...or baseball cap!

By the way, the 'spiel thern' (the 'speech tree' under which people used to gather and have meetings, which gave our borough its name, and was located near the junction of Town Tree Lane and Convent Road) was actually an elm tree.

It could well be legitimate. The club was formally known as "Ashford Town Football & Sports Club" for a while, certainly in the early-mid 1980s, so that would match the "FSC".

The local history is fascinating. All long before my watching the Club from 2000-01, but I am staggered by the long and wonderful memories of so many people.

I'd love to buy a book and read about it.

I bought a club pennant from Kit Selection about ten years ago, and it still adorns my wall in the kitchen - one of the first things that visitors to my home notice, and often prompting a question about my allegiance to Ashford, and did I still support the Saints.

Daft question, as they are not mutually exclusive.

Archived