Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Wealdstone Away on Saturday

townendleftside

Traditionally the middle Saturday in December is an awful day for crowds with shopping (shudder) and whatnot. I'd imagine we'll take between 50-100 although as it's supposed to warm up and if a few can get away from domestic duties it might be a bit more.

Will be a tough one, however many are there!

A little article on the game -

http://thecoldend.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/wealdstone-away-or-christmas-shopping.html

they have not lost at home in the league for over a year. Last team to do it was Canvey on 19th November 2011. It's going to be very tough game against one of the title favourites..

COME ON YOU TOWNERS

Good article, as ever, from thecoldend - certainly brought back a few memories!

Wouldn't have recalled that Nick Francis, Paul Furlong, Paul Harding and Steve King all played in the same side - what a forward line!

Enfield certainly had some epic battles with Wealdstone - a certain two legged FA Trophy Semi-Final springs to mind. I've got a programme somewhere showing Vinnie Jones and Stuart Pearce in the Wealdstone squad - and they weren't the hard men!

Hard they were thugs!

In those sides were the cordice brothers.

I recall a Middlesex senior cup final. Must be over 45 years ago. At lower mead they won 2-0 outside the ground their fans were singing we''ll be running round eEnfield with the cup. My response prompted by my dad, was you'll be running round Enfield with your tails between your legs.

Second leg 0-0 at half time and things looking bad. Two goals in second half and into extra time. Eventually we win 4-2. What a night!

Now to be corrected by FJ.

There are eight of us going over there to celebrate my son's 10th birthday!

Better than a boring children's party.

Hope we can score at least four thus possibly earning us a draw.

I will also be celebrating my birthday there, although i am slightly older than 10!!!!

Good article, as ever, from thecoldend - certainly brought back a few memories!

Wouldn't have recalled that Nick Francis, Paul Furlong, Paul Harding and Steve King all played in the same side - what a forward line!

Enfield certainly had some epic battles with Wealdstone - a certain two legged FA Trophy Semi-Final springs to mind. I've got a programme somewhere showing Vinnie Jones and Stuart Pearce in the Wealdstone squad - and they weren't the hard men!

I'm almost certain that Pearce had moved on by the time Jones arrived on the scene but again FJ will no doubt correct me.

And Francis, Furlong, Harding and King played together a lot, not least in the FA Trophy final and replay against Telford.

I'm almost certain that Pearce had moved on by the time Jones arrived on the scene but again FJ will no doubt correct me.

And Francis, Furlong, Harding and King played together a lot, not least in the FA Trophy final and replay against Telford.

I remember young Vincent (As he was then) having a non alcoholic cold beverage in the bar at Southbury Road before a Wendy Fair Capital League match many moons ago.

Pearce had indeed moved on (Coventry I think?) by the time Mr Jones joined up. Left back in the mid-80s was either Steve McCargo or the legendary Dougie McClure.

Oddly enough, neither Pearce nor Jones stood out as hard men at the time. Pearce was simply a solid left back, while Vince Jones (as was) was a fringe player who didn't really acquire his reputation until his Wimbledon/Paul Gascoigne castrating days.

Now Paul Bowgett - ouch!!!

I remember seeing Vinny play for Wimbledon Res at Southbury Road only around a month before The Dons historic cup final. I was 10 years old and he shook my hand outside the changing rooms saying "cheers son" when I wished him luck at wembley.

They won 0-8 and I think Laurie Cunningham played too... someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived