Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Pre season games

James Hawtree at Slough Town FC! ha ha ha!

Where's all the Ashford news? What's happened to Ashley Lodge? Thought he was excellent against Slough.Also liked your skipper Russell Canderton.

We don't have many people on the forum these days. I fear a lot of forumites gave up posting after a few problems at the club three seasons back.

So far, from what I've read, 14 players have signed up for next season, all but two were with us last year. At least three other players from the last campaign are back for pre-season, and a useful lad who left us to go to university in Exeter is back trialling and showing us what we've missed. One of our rising stars has gone off to university in Birmingham and was last heard about to sign for a team a division above us.

Players' player of the year and supporters' player of the year Ashley Lodge showed his gratitude by buggering off very early last season to Chipstead if I remember correctly. Last seen doing a 'Judas' lining up against us for Staines Town in last season's Middlesex Senior Cup final.

Ginger Bobby Moore's still with us after something like 3,000 games and I'm sponsoring him again next season. I fully expect Russ to miss the start of the season through injury, suspension or a stag do as usual and the Quiet Storm, Scott Weight, will captain us to the top of the table!

Ashley plays for Staines in the BSS.

Russell has been at The RPS for so long, we have had to apply to the council for planning permission!

I here you have most of Godalmings team from last year including a lot of ex Ashford ?

Have a soft spot for Ashford.I've found visiting your ground,an enjoyable experience with fans who are knowledgeable about the game at our level.So always have a look to see what's going on,on the forum and the Ashford website.

Think under our last manager Slough would have liked to have acquired Ashley Lodge.Pity we didn't get him.

Scott Weight looks a decent player.He was impressive last season against us.Is Paul McCarthy still keeping goal for you? He is very experienced and been around awhile.The spine of your team is good.

It is your squad depth that probably let's you down in this league.Finances play such a part when trying to get promoted.

Yes,you are right,Slough might as well be called Godalming this season! Slough did need changes,though.The previous manager,Steve Bateman,had taken us as far as he could.Slough need new ideas to get out of this division.Impressed with the new managers so far and hope to see a few youngsters progress,unlike under the other regime.

Personally,I would have liked to have kept a few more Slough players of last season than we have.It takes a lot of time to get an affinity to so many new faces.Luckily,the new managers picked up two of our better players from last season in Ed Smith and Dave Woozley.So I think exciting times are ahead for us.

Best of luck for Ashford's new season.

3spirit.

Thanks, 3spirit. Hope you have a good season too.

Big Macca is indeed with us again for the new season, with cover in the form of a promising young lad called Tyler Tobin. If we're really stuck, I'm sure our manager Burgo would re-register and go between the sticks again! 

We're like the proverbial church mouse, and our dropping a division was caused because the club had to cut the players' wages twice (and drastically) in the same season. Our strengths are that we're seen as a bit of an underdog team which suits us and, apart from the Jamie Lawrence years, there's always been a huge sense of camaraderie which bonds the club together.

The main worry, really, is if Heathrow decides to build its third airport over Stanwell Moor, an option only mooted recently (by our own MP!) and announced last week by the airport committee. From what we've heard, if the plan goes ahead, our ground would be built over.

Thanks, 3spirit. Hope you have a good season too.

Big Macca is indeed with us again for the new season, with cover in the form of a promising young lad called Tyler Tobin. If we're really stuck, I'm sure our manager Burgo would re-register and go between the sticks again! 

We're like the proverbial church mouse, and our dropping a division was caused because the club had to cut the players' wages twice (and drastically) in the same season. Our strengths are that we're seen as a bit of an underdog team which suits us and, apart from the Jamie Lawrence years, there's always been a huge sense of camaraderie which bonds the club together.

The main worry, really, is if Heathrow decides to build its third airport over Stanwell Moor, an option only mooted recently (by our own MP!) and announced last week by the airport committee. From what we've heard, if the plan goes ahead, our ground would be built over.

Hi Swifty.Playing the underdog certainly has it's advantages.

Unfortunately,here at Slough,in this division,it's not the case as we always get tagged a big team and usually,one of the favourites for promotion,so everyone up's their game against us.

I definitely think Ashford always put an effort in getting a good side out,regardless of the money.

I have been impressed by Danny Edwards,manager at Chalfont St Peter,for this,too. A village team but always hard to beat and he's good at unearthing a player from lower leagues,too.

Money doesn't buy you everything.Team spirit and camaderie can take you a long way but the higher you go up,money does start to talk,especially in getting the better players to a club.

It will be a travesty of justice,if Heathrow get another runway/terminal.Unfortunately,the MP's who are honourable,good and true are a very small number and now very much in decline.

Most MP's now,I liken to slugs and that is giving a slug a bad name!

Doesn't seem to matter about pollution,the environment and our communities and people.As long as slimeballs make money.What a fu*ked up world cu*ts are making ! The rest of us just have to endure.

Sorry to finish on a downer! As Vera Lynn sang 'Keep smilimg through,like you always do'!!!

I may be wrong but the suggestions for extra runways last week seemed to suggest that the one south of the airport would obliterate Stanwell Moor rather than Stanwell and Short Lane in particular and go out over the M25.  I'm against any extension but if this latter one was the plan, I can't see that it would affect us.

Good to have an MP who cares about his residents though!

If they go ahead with this plan, what happens to the reservoirs, all the water they should contain, and the extra demand on water for the runway construction and then industry / consumer use? Will new reservoirs be built elsewhere? 

I couldn't read the proposal map properly last week (getting a touch of the Mister Magoos in my old age!), so it does look like the club would just about miss out on being bulldozed (don't trust anyone yet, though), but it wouldn't surprise me if we then had headaches about our floodlights being too close to the edge of the airport.

Archived