Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Cup, Hampton v Ashford

lazarus

By virtue of their win at Bishops Cleeve in the previous round, Ashford have a far easier FA Cup tie on Saturday in travelling terms as they make the short journey to the Beveree to play Hampton and Richmond Borough in the 1st Qualifying Round.

Hampton, of course, are in the Premier Division of the Ryman League and, with home advantage, will be clear favourites to win the tie.  The home club though have not enjoyed the best of starts to the season, with just one league win, leaving them in 21st position in the table.  Ex-Ashford player Billy Jeffreys is at Hampton but unlikely to play as far as we aware due to injury.  Stuart Lake though, another ex-Tangerine, may well be in the Hampton line-up.

If the match is drawn after 90 minutes, there will be a replay at Short Lane on Tuesday evening, which would replace the scheduled match against Chertsey Town.

Ashford have been bolstered by the arrival this week of Jamie Connor, a powerful midfield player, from Uxbridge FC, who has previous experience at both Maidenhead United and Aylesbury.  He will go straight into the squad for tomorrow.  Ashford have also finally received International Clearance for tough tackling defender Damian Paluszek, who previously played in the Polish League for GPTS Avia Swidnik who play in the 3rd Division of the national Polish League.

Admission at the Beveree tomorrow is £10 (concessions £5, school children £2)

Fingers crossed for a replay as I can't make the game as I wil be cheering Exeter on at "North"hampton

Quote from Billy Jeffreys:

Hampton & Richmond Borough defender Billy Jeffreys admits an FA Cup First Round Qualifying tie against former side Ashford Town (Middlesex) is just the draw he wanted.

Jeffreys was at Ashford for three years, captaining the side to their first ever Surrey Senior Cup win in 2009, before making the switch to The Beavers.

Ashford saw off Bishops Cleeve 1-0 to set up a first clash with Hampton & Richmond since 2007, and Jeffreys is relishing the opportunity to tussle with familiar rivals.

"I was following Ashford's replay on Saturday and hoping they would qualify," he said.

"I'm sure I'll be getting some grief, but only for banter reasons. I loved my time there and I've still got a lot of friends down at Ashford."

Ashford have failed to beat Hampton in the two sides' last ten encounters, but they have all been closely contested, with Hampton winning by a single-goal margin on seven occasions.

Unfortunately, Jeffreys is awaiting an MRI scan after injuring his knee in pre-season and will be watching the stands.

However, he admits that while it will be an emotional match, he will be rooting for only one side.

"I love Ashford to bits and they will always have a special place in my heart. But I'm playing for Hampton & Richmond now, so of course I want them to win."

Both sides have made sluggish starts to their 2013/14 campaigns, with Hampton 21st in the Isthmian League Premier Division and Ashford only faring slightly better at 19th in the Southern League Division One Central.

Jeffreys sees Saturday's match as one that could kick-start both sides' seasons.

He added:: "We've not had the best start to the year, but neither have Ashford, and we want to get a good run going.”

Back to the league stuff on Tuesday then :(

I don't know the ins and outs of the game, but very disappointing to lose having had a two goal lead.

Still, very pleased for Harry that he scored today. Harry's definitely one for the future, if not the imminent future.

If Billy ever wants to play for Ashford later in his career, I'd welcome him back with open arms. Fine player, lovely lad, really friendly dad.

The dream was alive for 50 minutes after Mark Bitmead's stunning strike put us 2-0 up. We had played really well in the first half, deservedly took the lead through Harry Roberts and their keeper made three excellent before the break. Their defence looked suspect in the first half but sadly there was a role reversal after Mark' s goal. We conceded from an unmarked header from a cheap free kick and then Hampton smelt blood. They brought on two subs, one of which is David Rocastle's brother, who seems to be a terrific player. He and their No 11 dominated possession and created a series of chances followed by two more goals.

We gave it a go at the end, playing three at the back but inevitably left us exposed for them to score goal 4.

There were lots of positives to take from the match, we played some excellent football at times, we ran them very close but unfortunately not close enough.

We didn't get the rub of the green with refereeing decisions but you cant blame him for the defeat. Ultimately we were beaten by a better side and there is no shame in that.

Here is the summary that will appear on the web site in due course.

Put the suits away, Ashford are out of the FA Cup after losing at Hampton on Saturday by four goals to two and  what a frustrating afternoon it was after going two goals up early in the second half.

An inexperienced side took the field, with Alex Duffy suspended and both Jim Mann and Chris Robinson unavailable.  Paul MCarthy came back in goal with Tyler Tobin also unavailable whilst new signing from Uxbridge Jamie Connor was on the bench.  Ryan Dearden came in for his 1st Team debut at right back whilst reserve top scorer Joe Lynch was also on the bench.  Harry Roberts was playing just his second match partnering Russell Canderton in defence.

Ashford started so well and deservedly took the lead midway through the half when Harry Roberts, in only his second start, scrambled the ball home following a Mark Bitmead corner.  As the half wore on Hampton had their moments but the clearest chance fell to Bitmead, clean through just before half-time, only for Rodney Chiweshie in the home goal to make an excellent save from his full bloodied effort.

Ashford supporters were again given something to cheer though immediately at the start of the second period when Bitmead crashed home a free kick from distance to double the lead.  Then though came the crucial point of the match with Hampton more or less going straight down the field and reducing the arrears.  A soft free kick, one of many throughout the afternoon given against Ashford by referee Smith, who seemed to have his blinkers on for much of the time, saw the ball swung in, and for the second week in a row, a free header ensued.

That was the catalyst needed by the home side and it was not a major surprise when they drew level on 71 minutes.  Ashford were unable to re-summon the resolve and skill they had showed in the opening period and a rampant Hampton then took the lead with another goal just a minute later.  Ashford did rally a little after that but rarely looked as if they could rescue the match and as they threw caution to the wind in the last few minutes, Hampton rubbed it in with a fourth goal two minutes into stoppage time.

Maybe the writing was on the wall beforehand as this was Ashford’s 11th attempt over the years to achieve a win against their opponents in various competitive matches and, apart from a meaningless friendly back in 1992, they have never managed it, although every single game has been close, the majority ending either in a draw or an odd goal victory for Hampton.

It’s another busy midweek coming up.  Tomorrow evening (Monday) the Under-18’s will entertain Woking U18 in the 1st Round of the Lucas Fettes (League) Cup, kick-ff 7.45 p.m. whilst on Tuesday, the 1st Team travel to meet Chertsey Town in the League, when Ashford should have a full strength squad from which to choose.  Kick-off at Alwyns Lane is 7.45 p.m.  On Wednesday, the Suburban League side are at home to Berkhamsted in the Suburban League Cup (1st Round, 1st leg).

Archived