Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 0 Scholars 2

Swifty

The quest for our first Saturday point this season continues, and now we're bottom of the table.

We were handicapped from the start when Jim Mann got sent off in the 3rd minute for apparently either a kick or a stamp, though I was too busy nattering to see what happened and I don't know if this was the reason for a penalty being awarded or if it had already been given for another offence. Tobi Akinserrin's spot kick wasn't very good, but credit to Tyler for still getting down to save it.

Two well taken goals either side of the break from Cole Penny and James Ewington settled the game, but who knows what would have happened had we had the full compliment on the pitch. We didn't have that many efforts, though Adam put himself about and tried really hard as our lone striker, and sub Cyril also went close twice, once bringing out a fine save from George Komuraby. Potters Bar's Finbar Robins must have felt a right prawn, getting himself needlessly booked for kicking the ball away when given offside before the break, then getting a second yellow for a foul in the 65th. 

You couldn't fault the lads' effort. We were aimless for the first 15 minutes but grew into the game. Man of the match for us was Weighty - he was immense today.

By the way, could someone fix the radio mic and also dig out the megaphone for next Saturday? I'd intended to say a little thank you to Burgo over the tannoy today but the 'big end' went yet again!

Having not seen Ashford play since the 3-1 defeat to Northwood and all that's happened in between I was expecting to see a lot of new faces in the team, but apart from Adam Turner and Joel Jacobs I was disappointed.

I've seen Adam play very well for Bedfont Sports but he needs better service than he received yesterday.

So what were the plus points from yesterday's game?

Cyril came off the bench and had a couple of chances

Jack got forward down the right flank really well in the second half and Joel followed suit down the left

Scott gave 110% and should be given the captaincy for his morale boosting talk throughout

Tyler made some great saves including the spot kick

There was some good passing between Elliot and other players in the centre of the park

Now to the bad points

Jim need I say more?

If Russ is going to look after the 'team' he needs to sit on the bench and view his team-mates from a different angle

I'm sorry but Russ has lost his edge this season and neither he nor Jim has the pace to keep up with the speedy forwards in this league.

Robbie got dispossessed on far too many occasions and both he and Perry don't appear to be match fit.

Possible solutions

Elliot should be in midfield with Cyril partnering Adam up front.

We need to use the flanks and put pressure on the opposing full backs so Tom, Joe, Perry, Jack and Mitchell should be given the opportunity to do this

We need to utilise our reserve and under 18 teams for players. We've had some decent under 18 players in the past but where are they now?

I don't mind if we get relegated as the Combined Counties league offers less travelling to away games, but we can still turn this season around.

Some good points, but when you go down to ten men after two minutes everything you have worked on during the week goes out the window.

I thought the effort put in was fantastic. I thought Weighty and Russ we're excellent as a central pairing.

Match fitness was a problem with a couple of the lads , especially as they were a man down for most of the game, but understandable in the fact that they haven't had much football.

It was interesting to see Mitch get back in the first team. Elliott did well, but he was out of position as number 10 as he's a fine midfielder and deserves to cement a place there. Cyril surprised me as a forward and probably merits a game or two partnering Adam up front now that Hughesy's been recalled by Staines Town. I agree Jock had a great game on the flank too. By the way, what's happened to Mark Gallagher, and is Harry Driver still ill?

One problem was that we put in the effort but managed too few efforts on goal. Adam needed someone alongside him in a Shearer / Owen type pairing. He couldn't do it all on his own. In a similar vein, we can't score if we bring everyone back to defend corners, and this happened on occasions. Maybe if we kept a forward near the halfway line, and another player just outside the box to pick up any scraps and relieve the pressure on the defence, feed the forward or go on a charge himself.

It seems my last post (The only way is up) offended someone, with nobody now below Ashford, up is the only place to go.

The Ash Trees are only wilting they haven't fallen.

I agree with Swiftys comments,with a new manager imminent, a bit of self confidence instilled,there is still time to pull the season together

The song The only way is up by Yaz is very upbeat, should be played prior to the boys leave the dressing room

It seems my last post (The only way is up) offended someone

Really? I can't see anything on this thread to suggest that. I thought it was a fair point! After all, when you are where you are, where else is there to go?

Although perhaps a bit dated, the one big hit from Yazz and the Plastic Population (there's one for the teenagers) would not be a bad pre-match tune, if we were only allowed to play music over the tannoy. But that's an entirely different thing to worry about...

There is time to turn things around and I want to assure supporters that the Board are working hard to identify new management for the First Team. In the meantime, let's take the positives from Saturday and build on them.

Do we think that the current squad is good enough to get us out of this situation? If it is, then the task for the new manager is difficult but do-able. But if we don't think the squad is good enough then he will have a monumental task, for who would want to join a club at the bottom of their league at this stage of the season? Surely only players who can't get a game at their present clubs?

As it happens I think this squad of players is capable of performing a lot better with reorganisation and re-motivation. We certainly have time on our side as there is still two thirds of the season to go. Onwards and upwards!

Archived