Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 3 The All 0

Swifty

In the end, a deserved Middlesex Charity Cup win over Southall, though we left it very late.

I thought it was going to be one of those evenings. Having had such a long way to travel, Southall's minibus turned up at 7.23 (and, for some reason, the lenient ref allowed the game to kick off ten minutes late to accommodate them) and they didn't provide a team sheet. Off the pitch, Southall were shambolic. On the pitch, they were decent opposition in what was, admittedly, a game played mainly in second or third gear, and their idea of disputing a decision was to moan for two seconds tops and then get on with it, which was refreshing. They had a couple of very speedy forwards and their keeper was overall man of the match, making at least three excellent reflex saves and a couple of other saves of note. Southall were far better representatives of their league than that shower from Berkhamsted.

As for us, it was a low key match despite fielding a strong team and, while we rarely looked in trouble (though Southall hit the post with a fine late effort and Tyler made two excellent saves), we were profligate in front of goal and occasionally looked heavy in the touch throughout the team (not well described, but I think you know what I mean). Apart from the aforementioned saves, we shot high, wide or tamely on too many occasions, though at least we're making lots of chances and the forwards link up very well with the midfield. In fairness, it was much more enjoyable to watch than the majority of last season's fayre and, once again, you couldn't fault the effort of anyone in our colours..

Mind you, those of us on the Tangerine Terrace were coming to terms with the spectre of a penalty shootout until a couple of inspired substitutions. Conor came on in the 81st minute, muscled his way into the action and belted us into the lead in the next minute. 'Beads' finally made it safe with a 90th minute rocket from 20-25 yards, and Bitz marked a cameo as sub with a cool 93rd minute finish. Despite all the forwards getting the glory (and I know my vote's too late to count) I think Kieran shaded it as our man of the match, ably marking a zippy forward and getting some fine tackles and touches in.

I did mention this in a previous thread, but we've been given very fortuitous draws in the Middlesex Senior Cup and Middlesex Charity Cup and we have a real incentive to make at least one final.

We've been drawn at home up to and including the semi-final of the Middlesex Charity Cup. We've also been drawn at home for the first three rounds of the Senior Cup if we stay in the competition that long (Harefield United in the first round, then Bedfont Sports or Hillingdon Borough in the second round, then Enfield Town or Hanwell Town in the quarter-final).

Archived