Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town 2 Lewes 2

blue pilgrim

A point gained, rather than two dropped IMO.

Town started well with Rowan Liburd hitting the woodwork and then Sapps opening the scoring with a fine goal. From then on though, Lewes looked the better side, despite their lowly position and looked at ease on a very heavy pitch. They scored twice before halftime to go in at 2-1 up.

Despite two half time substitutions, Town never looked like getting back in the game, until Sapps got red carded for a rash challenge on 78 minutes. The remaining ten men then upped their game and took a few risks in search of an unlikely point. It came deep into 8 minutes of added time when Town were rightly awarded a penalty for a foul when through on goal and Lewes went down to 10 men as as a result. Richard Halle made no mistake from the spot. Well done to the lads for their fighting spirit at the end.

Town will need to play a lot better against Maidstone on Monday but our visitors will not like playing on that pitch, providing it survives an inspection.   COYB

In context we were happy with the point after scoring late on, however we didn't play well for 60 minutes of the game, we kept giving the ball back to Lewes and fortunately they weren't the best so we stayed in the game. Sappleton's first goal was great but imo his tackle was never a red. He always gets decisions against him which is a shame. However a great penalty got us the point. Even better to see after their embarrassing time wasting. Let's keep pushing on from here and turning 1 point to 3

COYB

How did we get away with that one? For a lot of the game I thought we were truly awful.

A goal against the run of play, well taken from Sapps, was really the only highlight of the first half. After that we weren't at the races. We didn't close people down, were sloppy with the ball and didn't support each other. Ryan Scott needed protection at right back but wasn't given it. We lacked shape - a right back playing left wing and a non existant right winger.

The new(er) players really have yet to improve the team, and the group looked like they were more interested in getting to tonight's Christmas do than playing.

We only really started playing in the second half once Sapps was sent off. It wasn't a good challenge (despite his own opinion on Twitter), but it wasn't a red card. But it's a shame that's what it takes to get us going.

I've said many times before that I'll take the result, and I will today, but this result will very much paper over the cracks of what was a very poor performance. And this sadly, is for the most part the story of our season - very much results over performances.

I want to try and take the positives, but it's becoming harder and harder to do so.

Straight red card bought and paid for by the oppo bench who were up baying like dogs as soon as the challenge was made... Was more clumsy then anything and at most a yellow... But hey ho...

Justice was served with the almost last kick of the game...

We didn't really deserve the draw really but hey... We'll take it as fair payment for the red card.

Ref was considered a good un before the game but proved dire.

Off the griping... We were lucky. Up until Sapps goal we looked as if the game was going to be tight but we had the guns to shade it... And then... They upped their game and we didn't.

Difficult conditions for both teams. Made for a frustrating but entertaining match... Got to give the lads credit where it is due. Down to 10 men and the steel of the team was shown. We started to up our game and the penalty came about really from a period of pressure which we were slowly tightening...

As for the period of time added on... The lesson here is don't go round wasting it during the official 90...

And the lesson from both yesterday's and Harrows game... The team has steel but why show it when we are down a player.

Thought we were a bit fortunate to come away with a point but if we lack a few things team spirit isn't one of them as the team battled back well.

The ref had a stinker, not letting the game flow and inconsistent decision making all the way through. I was close to the Sapps decision and for me it was a clear yellow and that's all. I think the ref was prejudiced and made a decision on the player he knew not the challenge he saw. If you look at MOTD this w/e you will see that the reds were for studs up challenges which this wasn't

Some shocking and embarrassing behaviour from their management at the end when we scored. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I know people work hard and do their best on it but our pitch just gets worse and worse. It was terrible yesterday and I'm sure it hinders the team's performance. we desperately need to find a way to get it properly and professionally sorted out.

Anyway enjoyed the Xmas curry. Hopefully Monday we will be on and we can give Maidstone a decent game.

The sun was low through the first half, which was a pain for filming.

I only film on my phone so anything too far away isn't completely clear.  It was just luck that the dopey challenge that lead to the penalty was right in front of me.

People seem to forget that 4 minutes added time means exactly 4 minutes.  It means that at least 4 minutes added time needs to be played.  I think 6-7 minutes is at least 4 minutes.

I only film on my phone so anything too far away isn't completely clear.  It was just luck that the dopey challenge that lead to the penalty was right in front of me.

People seem to forget that 4 minutes added time means exactly 4 minutes.  It means that at least 4 minutes added time needs to be played.  I think 6-7 minutes is at least 4 minutes.

..so it's official, Fergie time is now in the Ryman!!! :huh:

I only film on my phone so anything too far away isn't completely clear. It was just luck that the dopey challenge that lead to the penalty was right in front of me.

People seem to forget that 4 minutes added time means exactly 4 minutes. It means that at least 4 minutes added time needs to be played. I think 6-7 minutes is at least 4 minutes.

And don't forget time added on for buggering about during the four minute period of time added on..

I'm chuffed for the lads in sneaking a point out of a game that based on performance up to the sending off was pretty hard to watch.

Then it was as if someone flicked a switch, both supporters/spectators and players seemed to find a new lease of life..

Fair play to the skipper for plugging another pen in the back of the net. a point was a gift.

I'm really pleased Rich Mann is back behind the goal, We need the likes of him and Ryan to get the Shoe army back on track. 

Big game tonight. Let's be having us supporters/spectators cheering on the lads from the outset. 

"I know people work hard and do their best on it but our pitch just gets worse and worse. It was terrible yesterday and I'm sure it hinders the team's performance. we desperately need to find a way to get it properly and professionally sorted out."

Looks like my comments from 2 years ago that I was berated for on this forum.

I'm glad people are starting to agree with me.

It would seem the assurances during the Chairman/Managers forum at the end of last season were not well founded and we are in the same pickle again

Oh and by the way I had a great view of the Ricky Sappleton red card. It was reckless and dangerous. Studs up or not doesn't matter. It was a fully deserved sending off. Such a shame our most potent threat gets sent off so often. But if it was a challenge against one of our players we would all be screaming at the ref to get him off

Archived