Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Surrey F.A. to move to Dorking

Probably not everyones cup of tea but this link takes you to the M.V.D.C. web-cast of the scrutiny committee meeting held June 2nd.

http://www.molevalley.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/176863

Scroll roughly half-way into the meeting to Item 9 on the agenda.

This deals with Surrey F.A. involvement; DFC, and Dorking Wanderers.

There is a lot of 'talk' but some interesting details do emerge.

Obviously this IS in the public domain.

Executive committee meeting on June 16th.

Edited by Big J R

Well, tonight's the night, folks, I'm sure we'll all be in front of our computer screens for the MVDC webcast of the executive meeting that will decide who the tenants of the new Community stadium will be.

We may find out the outcome of the recent discussions between Dorking FC, Dorking Wanderers FC and the council leader.

I've not seen it mentioned on twitter, which is unusual for both Dorking clubs.

Will this be another major step in Dorking FCs revival?

Will we be watching Ryman football in the town again next year?

Will Surrey FA relocate and Dorking's football followers get a host of representative games and cup finals each season?

Who will be getting the income from the clubhouse?

What colours will be on the gent's toilet walls?

Log in early as I'm advised the MVDC website may get near capacity this evening.

Well that was a view. Council approve new development to allow Surrey FA to relocate to Dorkings new community ground. Dorking fc granted a 25 year lease

Wanderers promised council will find a suitable plot of land to build new stadium

Dorking youth community group which is an umbrella group for all local youth sides will have loads of slots for training

Possibility of wanderers playing first 11 games there on short term basis

Hoo bloody rah!!

I have a funny feeling youth and community groups will get the first shout.

A little birdy has recently told me that clubs will be asked to pay £100 an hour for usage.  Anyone care to prove me wrong ?  Well, I suppose Surrey F.A. will have to pay for their new accomodation.

SCENARIO:-  Saturday first team league match ?  Ground required from 1:00 p.m. to approx 6:00 p.m. That equates at £500.  I just hope the gate take enough money plus what will be needed for the match officials.

I have a funny feeling youth and community groups will get the first shout.

A little birdy has recently told me that clubs will be asked to pay £100 an hour for usage.  Anyone care to prove me wrong ?  Well, I suppose Surrey F.A. will have to pay for their new accomodation.

SCENARIO:-  Saturday first team league match ?  Ground required from 1:00 p.m. to approx 6:00 p.m. That equates at £500.  I just hope the gate take enough money plus what will be needed for the match officials.

I would have thought that the lease would take into account multi use. Can't see DFC paying by the hour!

Yes Chris.  The lease will be issued to the Surrey F.A., with ONE or maybe two senior football club/s being granted a sub-lease with the M.V.D.C. blessing.

So lets just wait and see what the hire charges will be, given the outlay for the whole development, which to date are well in excess of £4 MILLION less any outside grants received.

Edited by Big J R

Yes Chris.  The lease will be issued to the Surrey F.A., with ONE or maybe two senior football club/s being granted a sub-lease with the M.V.D.C. blessing.

So lets just wait and see what the hire charges will be, given the outlay for the whole development, which to date are well in excess of £4 MILLION less any outside grants received.

Surely the Leatherhead offices are worth a few bob?

They are in Bridge Street Chris, and I think you will find they have to pay substantial rent on them.  No idea what their deal with M.V.D.C. will be  That would be asking me a bit much, even with my spies.

Edited by Big J R

Most of the figures are in the agenda for last nights meeting. Pitch hire is estimated to be between 90 and 120 pounds per hour.

A sublease will only be given to Dorking FC, it's 25 years. The word "viable" was used. I would take that to mean amongst other things "affordable"

The council were clear that they wanted Meadowbank to be a community facility, and two senior clubs with reserves, youth team ladies etc, would exclude youth teams too much.

They acknowledged Wanderers success , and the issues at Westhumble and are seeking land in or around Dorking for Wanderers.

The council have delivered on promises made years ago at the time of the court case that football would remain at Meadowbank when many were convinced it would be a supermarket.

I'm quite happy to believe the council will find a suitable home for Wanderers.

Chairman's views now on DFC website.

Sorry couldnt post the link.

Here you go, Jeff.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/dorkingfc/news/chairman-welcomes-clarity-on-meadowbank-return-1444713.html

I have read it with great interest and await comment from other quarters, possibly from outside DFC !

I will only reiterate that it looks like any senior club wqanting to play there on a Saturday will have to find at leasr £500 before a ball is kicked or an official paid !

Edited by Big J R

Here is Marc White's take on the situation, posted today on the Dorking Advertiser site.

http://www.dorkingandleatherheadadvertiser.co.uk/Dorking-Wanderers-chairman-mixed-feelings/story-26714318-detail/story.html

I can't imagine for one minute that any business committing to a 25 year lease would accept paying, or be expected to pay, spot prices for the pleasure.

Now maybe Wanderers might need to find near to that sort of figure if they want to play on a more "casual" basis, but Ryman South football in the town I feel would attract a gate to cover that.

Come on JR, why so down on the deal? It's a terrific boost for the town, Dorking FC, and the youth and ladies teams and clubs in the area.

It will also be great for families and people using the Rec, as half the money will be going on non football related facilities.

Wanderers have been promised help in finding a more suitable ground than Westhumble, which is already Ryman approved.

I'm NOT down on the deal at all  In theory, a brilliant way forward, in practice though.....

I just think it may be too expensive for senior football.

If M.V.D.C. do adhere to their promise to find Wanderers a Ryman approved ground subject to talks between the two senior clubs, I wonder where and at what cost to whom ?

I know for a fact that the Westhumble Residents Association would prefer Wanderers to leave the Westhumble ground, basically on safety grounds, (traffic etc.)

Well they would rather see the ground return to a more suitable facilty for it's surroundings, and with the development u18s reserves definitely playing there for the foreseeable, and with the first team there at least next season that's not happening.

We can see from the chairman of DFC's recent comments more negotiation is to be done on the sublease, but the council approved a "viable" lease, and the Leader of the council confirmed they didn't want to see any club or team taking on an unsustainable contract.

I agree with Marc White I did find some of the reasoning for not offering Wanderers a lease a little strange, apart from the FA cup issue, (which was accurate when all this first started, I think) mention was made of League two football!

I do note however he didn't deny that Wanderers were unwilling to take on a 25 year lease at Meadowbank.

Personally I hope an agreement is reached, I cant be arsed walking to Westhumble, and I don't want the towns football community split.

I'm more or less with you on the above Jeff.

Certain statements made in both the Scrutiny AND Exeutive meetings didn't help, with terms like..

"Either the Council or the F.A must knock their heads together."  Meaning the Chairmen of the two senior clubs involved.

Very counter-productive, in my view.

You don't think the two clubs should sit down and talk, with the help of a neutral mediator, JR?

I think that is a very good way forward.

If a deal can be done that suits both clubs, considering what has been said about youth football in the area, then so be it.

If it can't then we don't want some fudge that mucks up both clubs plans and jeopardises the youth team getting enough slots.

Either way, at the end I hope both clubs can agree that the way forward is mutually acceptable to both clubs and we can all move on without rancour.

Of course I want the two clubs to talk together.

My bone of contention is the use of a certain phrase by both the Leader of the Council, AND a senior Councillor.

"Knock their heads together." is, in my view a totally unprofessional phrase.  As a retired LGO, I'm pretty sure that if any Council employee used that phrase, relating to two external parties, that they would face immediate disciplinary action.

Maybe, "Sit down and have constructive and meaningful talks", might have been a better choice of words.  But then my days of political script-writing are long gone.  The joys of retirement !!

Hey-Ho.  One learns from ones mistakes.

Edited by Big J R