Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

v Hungerford

Reading Rebel

Well if we play as bad as we did against Chesham, we're likely to get stuffed...........

I'm an optimist, so let's believe the real Slough team show up and upset the odds !  

What team would you play?  

I would start with

Scott

Fraser  Hollis  Hicks  Fox

Case   Hope   Webb  Dhillon

Hallahan  Mpi

Subs: Putman, S.Harris, Gokman  Sear[if fit]  Clayton. 

Scott

Case/Fraser  Hollis  Hicks  Dhillon/Fox 

W Harris  Jepson  Webb  Putman

Hallahan Mpi

The decision on full backs is a tricky one.

If Case was staying with us I would put him in at right back.

With Nathan Fox because of where he lives I'd imagine there is very little chance of him staying with us so I'd go with Dhillon if fit.

Didn't think Warren Harris was available, so didn't include him. I would favour Ryan Hope and Adrian Sear above James Jepson[because of the Chesham game], though definitely not writing him off, as liked him when he played for Kettering.

As Hungerford are strong down the flanks and Puts is weaker in the tackle. I would put Jhai Dhillon in front of Nathan Fox, to shuffle the pack and shake up our team.

Lewis Putman is one of my favourite players but we can't keep using him, when he is ineffective, as he clearly was with his poorer display against Chesham.

Dhillon should be fresher and raring to have a go. Be interesting to see him in front of Fox IMO and then you also have the option of Putman as an impact substitute. 

Didn't think Warren Harris was available, so didn't include him. I would favour Ryan Hope and Adrian Sear above James Jepson[because of the Chesham game], though definitely not writing him off, as liked him when he played for Kettering.

As Hungerford are strong down the flanks and Puts is weaker in the tackle. I would put Jhai Dhillon in front of Nathan Fox, to shuffle the pack and shake up our team.

Lewis Putman is one of my favourite players but we can't keep using him, when he is ineffective, as he clearly was with his poorer display against Chesham.

Dhillon should be fresher and raring to have a go. Be interesting to see him in front of Fox IMO and then you also have the option of Putman as an impact substitute. 

Don't really agree with your analogy of James Jepson and Putts.

James Jepson, apart from the Chesham game, has played well since he's been with us.

Lewis Putman has been a revelation this season. Not only does he give us balance down the left, his work rate and crossing of the ball has been top notch, add on the goals he can score IMO out weighs any negatives in regards to his tackling ability.

Team selection cannot be based on who played well or who didn't in the Chesham game as we'd be struggling to field a 5 a side team. 

I think in the interview with Unders he said Warren should be available.

Putman was the only player who actually managed to hold the ball up for us and bring it forward !!!

Not his fault he was then double marked every time he got the ball and no slough players came to give him help.

Agree. It was easy to see that Puts had two players on him as soon as he got the ball, making it very difficult form him to play his usual game. Must give credit to their manager for setting that up, something they picked up from members of their coaching staff watching some of our games.

I would also comment on their centre back partnership who gave very little to our front players, particularly when they worked out how they could often hold our players down and not get penalised for it. Although it must be said they were very strong in what they did.

I know football is all about opinions but there is no way (in my opinion)the current loan fullback should be in front of Sean Fraser. The way SF reads

the game and covers the back line when needed, as examples. Technically as well, I would say there is quite a difference.

As I said I've only seen Ryan Case once and was suitably impressed with him.

It is all about opinions and IMO I thought he looked good enough to hold his place at right back.

Sean Fraser is unavailable for the next few games, hence why Ryan Case was brought in, as soon as Sean is available Ryan will be going back to Basingstoke as discussed with him and their manager (there is no way we would doubt Sean, he has been excellent this season)

There was also logic to our team selection for Boxing day and the strikers (and not an old pals act), however that is for another time, and will become clear over the next month or so.

Don't really agree with your analogy of James Jepson and Putts.

James Jepson, apart from the Chesham game, has played well since he's been with us.

Lewis Putman has been a revelation this season. Not only does he give us balance down the left, his work rate and crossing of the ball has been top notch, add on the goals he can score IMO out weighs any negatives in regards to his tackling ability.

Team selection cannot be based on who played well or who didn't in the Chesham game as we'd be struggling to field a 5 a side team. 

Hold your horses, Reading Rebel, when you say about Lewis Putman, you have to remember that he came to Slough as a striker into our team, not a left winger !

He hasn't been able to hold down a place as a striker but fortunately for him and for us he has turned out to be a very good left winger and has been a regular in the team, which I have wholeheartedly agreed with.

I wouldn't be sponsoring him in the programme if I thought he was useless, would I?

In actual fact I hoped he would succeed as a striker not a left winger but like you, can see how good he is on the left side.

However, no one player should be bigger than the team. Against Chesham, yes the opposition player's doubled up on him but this happens a lot in games and you have to expect that the opposition are going to do all they can to stop our movement/attacking play.

For me, he didn't have a great game on Boxing Day, regardless of the marking.

As we're playing Hungerford away next [a top 5 side] and with the Chesham match fresh in my mind, I would rather tighten up on the flanks to start the game with, hence why I would opt for Jhai Dhillon over Puts.

If we can contain Hungerford for the first 45 minutes and keep the scoreline down, we have a chance of getting at them in the second period and perhaps play a bit more gun-ho.

Then we could bring on Lewis if need be.

As for James Jepson, he has played 3 games for Slough so far and I've seen two of them and so have you, as both of us weren't at the Poole game, so we don't know how well he played there.

At the Merthyr game he played well in the first half but faded in the second half. Against Chesham,he hardly touched the ball but done the usual midfield baloney, where he shouted and told players what to do, without doing much himself ! Seemed to me that he went to the same midfield schooling as Adam Martin ! lol !

I'm not looking to slander James Jepson, as we know he hasn't been playing regularly for anyone and it takes time to become match fit.

He hasn't become a bad player overnight but Slough aren't a top side yet and so our centre midfield need workhorses mostly with a touch of flair but luxury players who don't contribute much aren't needed IMO.

If James Jepson plays against Hungerford, I hope he shows more than he did against Chesham, that's all I'm saying. 

When a team is on song, any player looks good but when a team isn't playing well, that's when you see those who are willing to make a stand.