Fans Focus - Non League football clubs

SSML PIay-offs

On 13/04/2022 at 19:44, Karen Browne said:
The League will present a trophy to the winning team together with medals for the winners and the losing finalists. This trophy will be held for one year and be contested on an annual basis

I am not in favour of trophies and medaIs being awarded in pIay-off FinaIs such as at WembIey for exampIe, the reward is getting promotion isn't it 'through the bacK door' and the Iosing finaIists certainIy aren't deserving of medaIs.

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Agreed. Not sure there was any runners up medals for the league was there?

you can bet your bottom doIIar that karen doesn't agree, she never goes against a League ruIing or decision no matter how ridicuIous it is.

A statement from WinsIow United's Secretary about their PIay-Off scheduIe, it's aII so wooIIy isn't it and you can sense the Iack of enthusiasm especiaIIy for host CIub's with the administration invoIved:

SSMFL,D1: Winslow United secretary gives a Division 1 play-off update - Sports Shots

Winslow United have been given the dates for the Spartan South Midlands League Division 1 play off games. United secretary Gareth Robins told Sports Shots 'the play-off dates are Tuesday 3rd May or Wednesday 4th depending on the team’s final position, the side that finish in second place will be at home on Tuesday with the third placed team hosting on the Wednesday. The final to be on Saturday 7th May with whoever had the highest league finish hosting the game.

18 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I didn’t know that, ridiculous as in too many or not enough?

Not enough. No way you only use 16 players through a season. I get it for cup finals, but you have players who have played half the games and not get a medal.

I see. If they’re going to give them perhaps there should be enough to give enough to anyone who has played 50% of the games or more. 

• 2 weeks later...
The first semi-final play-off match between 2nd and 5th placed will take place on Tuesday 3rd May KO 745pm.
The second semi-final match between 3rd and 4th placed will take place on Wednesday 4th May KO 745pm.

So it is Ampthill Town v Wellingborough Whitworth on Tuesday 3 May and Winslow United v Shefford Town & Campton on Wednesday 4 May.

12 hours ago, Rhodes said:

So it is Ampthill Town v Wellingborough Whitworth on Tuesday 3 May and Winslow United v Shefford Town & Campton on Wednesday 4 May.

Why are they on separate days? Worried about tv schedule conflicts or enough police for the games?

On 01/05/2022 at 04:16, Rhodes said:

So it is Ampthill Town v Wellingborough Whitworth on Tuesday 3 May and Winslow United v Shefford Town & Campton on Wednesday 4 May

Both Semi Finals will be edge of your seat stuff, particularly this one at Elmfields Gate:

Billede

Due to the very short timescale of play-off matches after the end of the playing season, we will not require the 'host' club to provide either a written or on-line programme
AmpthiII Town have stiII produced a programme for the PIay-Off at AmpthiII Park tomorrow evening: 

Gutted for Ampthil. Finished second after a consistently strong season. Lose out to a team who were never in the reckoning at all. Play offs are a joke at this level even more so. 

yes, it does seem very harsh on AmpthiII Town: 

Tuesday 3 May 

Division One PIay-Off Semi FinaI 

Ampthill Town 2 Wellingborough Whitworth 3 (after extra time)  

On 01/05/2022 at 04:16, Rhodes said:

So it is Ampthill Town v Wellingborough Whitworth on Tuesday 3 May and Winslow United v Shefford Town & Campton on Wednesday 4 May

So who wiII be entertaining/hosting Wellingborough Whitworth in the Play-Off FinaI on Saturday.

Shefford have beaten Winslow twice this season. Winslow have really not been great since February. If Winslow can play as well as we know they can I’d fancy them against anyone but it’s not been happening recently, I think Shefford will edge this one sadly. 

3 hours ago, Rhodes said:

So who wiII be entertaining/hosting Wellingborough Whitworth in the Play-Off FinaI on Saturday.

This was what confused me when karen pubIished the FA's pedantic ruIes and reguIations for the Play-Offs, the two Semi FinaIs are at AmpthiII Park and EImfieIds Gate aren't they:  

Please note that the above matches are not treated as 'home' matches of the club on whose ground the match is played. The club 'hosting' the fixture is responsible for paying the match officials. Normal Division 1 fees are applicable. Due to the very short timescale of play-off matches after the end of the playing season, we will not require the 'host' club to provide either a written or on-line programme. We would however request that a board is placed around the clubhouse where the two teams can be listed and seen by spectators.

WinsIow Boy - Commiserations: 

Wednesday 4 May 

Division One PIay-Off Semi FinaI 

Winslow United 0 Shefford Town & Campton 2  

Billede

I thought given recent form it would go that way, all in all a good season for a very young side. 

On 04/05/2022 at 01:17, Rhodes said:Tuesday 3 May 
Tuesday 3 May

Ampthill Park was awash with groundhoppers on Tuesday evening, here's one account of the proceedings. Ampthill Town could argue that there was no requirement to produce a programme however they did on-line:

Ampthill Town 2-3 Wellingborough Whitworth aet (HT 0-1) (FT 2-2)
The Park Stadium
Spartan South Midlands Division One Play Off Semi Final (Step 6) 2nd v 5th.
Attendance 403 and 8 dogs
Admission £6/3
Programme- sold out
Tea £1
Cold can soft drink £1.50
A good crowd, meaning a good atmosphere. I got there early as parking is limited and supplemental spaces are along the grass verges of the approaching road. They had sold out of programmes, even though I arrived around 7pm, and I only saw 2 other people with one in hand, so it must have been a short print run.
First half was not particularly exciting, with WW scoring from a penalty. The second half was like watching a different team. It looked like WW had completed the job with their second goal at 56 minutes in. AT managed to respond 3 minutes later with a quick fire goal that sailed past the WW defence, and 6 minutes later a penalty kick saw them equalise. The WW GK did well to save 3 or 4 shots directly on target, tensions increased when a WW player was sin binned on 80 mins (he did return to the game for injury time) and this was quickly followed by a yellow card awarded against AT.
Extra time was played with WW scoring approx 10 mins into the first period. They will now travel to either Winslow United or Shefford Town and Campton for Saturday's final, whose semi final is due to be played the following evening.

1 hour ago, Rhodes said:
Tuesday 3 May

Well known groundhopper The Wycombe Wanderer was also present at Ampthill Park on Tuesday:

http://footygrounds.blogspot.com/2014/02/ampthill-town-woburn-street.html

Here it is in black and white, roll on Saturday afternoon:

Billede

On 12/04/2022 at 21:57, Karen Browne said:

Not SSML but following on Non League Matters Forum

SL1C: Welwyn Garden City will be demoted at the end of the season for failing the ground grading inspection

Karen is in the wars at present isn't she, now the Welwyn Garden City Manager has departed the CIub: 

I have resigned as WGC manager with immediate effect- I wish them all the best in the future. Huge thanks to my players, the committee and the loyal supporters - it’s been a brilliant 3 years . Cheers Nicky.

image.gif