Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Slough v Yoevil

4 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Mr Cooper not very quick putting out his post match interview!

Rather like this forum then. Was anyone here actually at the match? 😆

5 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

We have 55 points which as it stands is not mathematically safe but we would have to lose all our remaining games and other clubs win all theirs which is not going to happen.

True, but nonetheless we wouldn't celebrate winning the league until it was a mathematical certainty, so neither should we do so regarding safety from relegation (it's psychological, I like it when we're mathematically safe rather than merely realistically safe!).

3 hours ago, Nathan said:

Rather like this forum then. Was anyone here actually at the match? 😆

True, but nonetheless we wouldn't celebrate winning the league until it was a mathematical certainty, so neither should we do so regarding safety from relegation (it's psychological, I like it when we're mathematically safe rather than merely realistically safe!).

I would imagine most were Nathan, however, I also expect that might tell you everything you need to know about the game itself. Fantastic result for us but wasn't much of a game in itself.

If you'd like some thoughts - a very good defensive display and for me all 6 defenders (including the goalie) deserved MoM above Matt Lench. Thought the ref was pretty poor for both teams and how he booked Lench in the first 10 minutes was a joke. Was surprised at Yeovil playing basically a long ball game and if that's the way they have played all season, im surprised they are top. Perhaps the standard of the game was 2 decent sides cancelling each other out, but all in all an excellent result for Slough and perhaps the league to narrow the gap at the top.

49 minutes ago, SloughFlyer said:

I would imagine most were Nathan, however, I also expect that might tell you everything you need to know about the game itself. Fantastic result for us but wasn't much of a game in itself.

Point taken - it wasn't exactly a classic was it (this was not down to a lack of effort from either team)? Though it's ironic that the sides who are now 4th & 3rd highest scorers in the league fought out a 0-0 draw.

49 minutes ago, SloughFlyer said:

Thought the ref was pretty poor for both teams and how he booked Lench in the first 10 minutes was a joke.

Agreed. Matt Lench was booked very early on, yet the ref allowed persistent fouling from most of the Yeovil team for the rest of the match, I think they ended up with only 2 bookings?

Edited by Nathan

14 hours ago, SloughFlyer said:

If you'd like some thoughts - a very good defensive display and for me all 6 defenders (including the goalie) deserved MoM above Matt Lench. Thought the ref was pretty poor for both teams and how he booked Lench in the first 10 minutes was a joke. Was surprised at Yeovil playing basically a long ball game and if that's the way they have played all season, im surprised they are top. Perhaps the standard of the game was 2 decent sides cancelling each other out, but all in all an excellent result for Slough and perhaps the league to narrow the gap at the top.

Firstly, most sides who either get promoted or are in the fore front for promotion have a blend of big physical no nonsense players along with a sprinkling of skill full players. I see Yeovil as no different to this profile.

It may not be the most exhilarating and exciting football to watch but as long as it's effective and produces the results required most supporters will put up with it.

On the other hand if a club is mid table or struggling the club will be under pressure from supporters to change things.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Just watched the "highlights" video, and of the 5 mins 43 seconds long video, 1 min 30 sec was the intro and 40 secs was the end of the game, with a mighty 3 mins 33 secs of actual play!?!?

The footage of the play then started with a clip 20 minutes into the game!

Did nothing happen in the first 20 mins?

Was there a technical issue with the camera?

Was the match that dull?

Not a great advert for the club on social media.

Just checked the stats on Youtube and over 400 views and only 4 likes - that is an awful ratio of likes to views.

Edited by Sir Rebel1965

51 minutes ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Just watched the "highlights" video, and of the 5 mins 43 seconds long video, 1 min 30 sec was the intro and 40 secs was the end of the game, with a mighty 3 mins 33 secs of actual play!?!?

The footage of the play then started with a clip 20 minutes into the game!

Was there a technical issue with the camera?

Was the match that dull?

Not a great advert for the club on social media.

Just checked the stats on Youtube and over 400 views and only 4 likes - that is an awful ratio of likes to views.

Have to admit imo our highlights package seems to have gone down hill a bit compared to when it first started.

Still better than some but nowhere near as good as the better ones in the division.

14 hours ago, SloughFlyer said:

TBF SF, if you asked 20 people at the game who their motm was they would probably give you 6 different names.

As for Dan Lincoln, yes he kept a clean sheet which is all you can ask for from a keeper but how many saves did he have to make?

I'll admit that would normally lead to defender getting motm.

As for Matt Lench as usual he was in the thick of the action and for me produced his usual yard stick of 8/10.

So no complaints from me him being given motm. 

59 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

Have to admit imo our highlights package seems to have gone down hill a bit compared to when it first started.

Still better than some but nowhere near as good as the better ones in the division.

If there is anything specific, this can be fed back.

In terms of the length of the Yeovil highlights package, having watched the game I was expecting it to be a struggle to find moments of note!

The last two Saturday's I think we have had two very physically demanding matches. 
The first one, last week at Braintree, was against a team I thought who played the game in a similar fashion to us.
Give 100% effort, close down the opposition at all times and don't give them a second to dwell on the ball. 
This past Saturday , against the league leaders , was physically demanding but in a different way. 
Yeovil had lost their last two games and definitely had the attitude that they were not going to lose against us.
Their approach I thought was in one way a compliment to the manner in which we have been playing at home, but also  made a bit of a mockery of the rules of the game.
If we the fans could see that on EVERY aerial challenge a Yeovil defender was grabbing hold of Nathan's and other Slough players shirts and bodies, you cannot tell me that the officials obviously closer to the incidents couldn't see them either.
It wasn't even subtle grabs, it was full blown  wrestling holds.
This started right from kick off, and the ref finally booked the main Yeovil culprit in what seemed like the last ten minutes.
Big deal.
The foul he got booked for was no worse than what had occurred all game.
If he had got booked in the first ten minutes as he should have done  rather than the last ten, you would have hoped we might have seen a different, more enjoyable game.
And as for what goes on at corners and attacking free kicks nowadays is ridiculous.
Defenders not even looking at the ball and just concerned with holding and blocking, American Football style, any attacker who advances into the penalty area.
We had rough, tough defenders in the past such as your Norman Hunter's ,Tommy Smith's and Kenny Burns, who would kick you just because you were on the same pitch as they were.
Shirt pulling and manhandling though was something those "dirty cheating foreigners" would do to you, when you played against them in Internationals or European matches.
Weak ref's have allowed this "tactic' to flourish.
Yeovil achieved what they set out to do, not get beat.
It made for a disappointing game, but I'd have been very pleased with a point before we kicked off and it was just sad that the game played out the way it did.
I know I'll be considered a bit naive and will be told that that is how the game is played nowadays, which is sadly absolutely correct, but it doesn't mean  I can't go on a rant about it !
I guess we'll just have to take it as a massive compliment to us  that the  awe inspiring footballing giant  of the modern English  game  that is Yeovil Town had to resort to such basic and uninspiring footballing  methods to avoid defeat against us.

Edited by Holyport Rebel

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

In terms of the length of the Yeovil highlights package, having watched the game I was expecting it to be a struggle to find moments of note!

37% fill, 63% play.

No coverage of the Matt Lench dodgy yellow card on early on.

For those of us who can't make games the Yeovil highlights gave no clue to what went on in the game.

9 minutes ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

37% fill, 63% play.

For those of us who can't make games the Yeovil highlights gave no clue to what went on in the game.

Yes, there was the yellow card and what followed was a bit of a battle with both sides repelling each other. Hard to conjure up highlights from that, and in fairness I can’t remember a game where the highlights package was so short. 

If you’re interested in statistics around performance of video content, you might be pleased to note that the Bath City highlights have 2,600 views and the manager interview 4,100 views!

3 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Was the match that dull?

It was a very physical battle with very few goal scoring opportunities….. they could possibly have added another 5 minutes with clips of Minhas being held, pulled, wrestled & man-handled whilst only receiving one or two free kicks at most, but that wouldn’t have been a good advert for football either.

6 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

Firstly, most sides who either get promoted or are in the fore front for promotion have a blend of big physical no nonsense players along with a sprinkling of skill full players. I see Yeovil as no different to this profile.

It may not be the most exhilarating and exciting football to watch but as long as it's effective and produces the results required most supporters will put up with it.

On the other hand if a club is mid table or struggling the club will be under pressure from supporters to change things.

Agree with the assessment RR, not too sure who their skill players were though (maybe the next loan #20) as they seemed to just want to go long for most of the game (this may well have been the way we set up as well though to stop them playing).

5 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

TBF SF, if you asked 20 people at the game who their motm was they would probably give you 6 different names.

As for Dan Lincoln, yes he kept a clean sheet which is all you can ask for from a keeper but how many saves did he have to make?

I'll admit that would normally lead to defender getting motm.

As for Matt Lench as usual he was in the thick of the action and for me produced his usual yard stick of 8/10.

So no complaints from me him being given motm. 

You are quite right about the 20 different people RR. I also agree about Dan Lincoln, I think he made 1 "save" which was a smoother of their little sub forward towards the end of the game, however, still have him and the 5 defenders above Matt Lench for MoM.

In addition, whether I agree or not with Lench as MoM, Nathan wanted comments on the game and if nothing else, my comments got people talking😉

3 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

37% fill, 63% play.

Oh it did SirRebel. Tells 100% of what went on in the game, nothing!!!!

I'm just surprised the guys came up with that amount of highlights.

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

It was a very physical battle with very few goal scoring opportunities….. they could possibly have added another 5 minutes with clips of Minhas being held, pulled, wrestled & man-handled whilst only receiving one or two free kicks at most, but that wouldn’t have been a good advert for football either.

It wouldn't have been a good advert for football, but it would have been an accurate reflection of the game, which is what "highlights" (to use the term loosely) should be about.

At any rate, what we've got are at least better than this extravaganza:

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes, there was the yellow card and what followed was a bit of a battle with both sides repelling each other. Hard to conjure up highlights from that, and in fairness I can’t remember a game where the highlights package was so short. 

If you’re interested in statistics around performance of video content, you might be pleased to note that the Bath City highlights have 2,600 views and the manager interview 4,100 views!

So Jerry Gill now thinks he's Mr Beast!

4 hours ago, Matt said:

The volume is always very low.

Something else that's been mentioned in the past is the camera motion. When the ball fizzed about it seems to go a bit blurry.