Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Has This Season Been A Success?

11 minutes ago, Holyport Rebel said:

Hi RR. 

Always good to read other people's views.

I think it's great to hear optimistic comments from fans regarding next season, but do you really mean what you said in your post ?

You'll be "disappointed" if we don't make the play-offs and  "only" say,  finish 8th ?

Blimey, no pressure there Scott !

Before the season started I'm sure fans of Dartford, Havant, Torquay and Eastbourne all hoped, nay expected in some quarters, to at least make the play-offs.

Football is a "funny old game" and has a habit of kicking you in the   when you least expect it.

If today I was somehow offered the chance to lock Slough into an 8th place finish for  next season,  I wouldn't have a second's hesitation in doing so.

Might be boring and short-sighted to some I suppose, but that's me.  :oldman: 

Cheers !  🥃

You know me HR 😏 I like to be positive.

You've got to reach for the stars :lol: and see where that takes you.

Play-offs here we come :31:

Edited by Reading Rebel

This season has absolutely been a success both on and off the pitch and I truly believe that we should be aiming to be in the playoffs next season. Unfortunately, you could probably say the same for at least half the league so some will fall short in that respect.

Some of the really positives of the season have been:

- Cup performances. In both the FA Cup and the FA Trophy we have gone toe to toe with several teams from one or two levels higher in all games, even with 7-2 loss we were competitive and gave a really good account of ourselves.

- League wise we have seen our biggest National League South points tally since we got promoted which is fantastic, surpassing the previous highest of 63 points. In addition, if you take the last 39 games and ignore the first 7 then extrapolate out we would have finished on 76 points which would have put us comfortably 6th. 

- Highest average gate of the 21st Century and highest league attendance since 1996 Woking game. Let's also not forget that we capped the Grimsby game based on supporter experience where we could have let another 1k in.

- Settled squad and early contracts for some our our younger brightest talents (Ogbonna/Leon/Spasov)

- 50 year lease secured on the ground. Probably for the rest of my life we will play at Arbour Park. I will let you know what happens when I'm 86 :D 

1 hour ago, Mark44 said:

This season has absolutely been a success both on and off the pitch and I truly believe that we should be aiming to be in the playoffs next season. Unfortunately, you could probably say the same for at least half the league so some will fall short in that respect.

- Cup performances. In both the FA Cup and the FA Trophy we have gone toe to toe with several teams from one or two levels higher in all games, even with 7-2 loss we were competitive and gave a really good account of ourselves.

- League wise we have seen our biggest National League South points tally since we got promoted which is fantastic, surpassing the previous highest of 63 points. In addition, if you take the last 39 games and ignore the first 7 then extrapolate out we would have finished on 76 points which would have put us comfortably 6th. 

- Highest average gate of the 21st Century and highest league attendance since 1996 Woking game. Let's also not forget that we capped the Grimsby game based on supporter experience where we could have let another 1k in.

- Settled squad and early contracts for some our our younger brightest talents (Ogbonna/Leon/Spasov)

- 50 year lease secured on the ground. Probably for the rest of my life we will play at Arbour Park. I will let you know what happens when I'm 86 :D 

Gonna say there's nothing like an optimist 😂

1 hour ago, Mark44 said:

Does all depend on a persons definition of success.

All the above is excellent progression for the club at whats been a difficult time but has it really been a successful season on the playing side or a decent season?

Lets put it this way if we do the same next season will it still be deemed a successful season?

Edited by Reading Rebel

5 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

All the above is excellent progression for the club at what's been a difficult time but has it really been a successful season on the playing side or a decent season?

Lets put it this way if we do the same next season will it still be deemed a successful season?

Personally I'm very happy with the progress since the new owners took over. The marketing of the club has been excellent and with no sky high ambitions. All this carried out with openness and in a very short space of time. Long may this all continue along with the increase in attendances. We are moving as a club slowly towards being promotion ready. I don't want us doing an Oxford City for example.

Next season, I think we realistically should be looking at a play off position.  Now that would be progress for me, although an FA Trophy final would be nice too!

3 hours ago, Bernie Gogan said:

Personally I'm very happy with the progress since the new owners took over. The marketing of the club has been excellent and with no sky high ambitions. All this carried out with openness and in a very short space of time. Long may this all continue along with the increase in attendances. We are moving as a club slowly towards being promotion ready. I don't want us doing an Oxford City for example.

Next season, I think we realistically should be looking at a play off position.  Now that would be progress for me, although an FA Trophy final would be nice too!

A play-off position next season to me would be a successful season.

Of course a decent cup run would be the cherry on the cake. 

Edited by Reading Rebel

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

All the above is excellent progression for the club at whats been a difficult time but has it really been a successful season on the playing side or a decent season?

It is a good point and all has to be done with relativity to the previous season imo as each team is on a different trajectory or point in their respective journey towards a goal

22 minutes ago, sdelane2308 said:

It has to be said Ashley and Co have done amazing on the Marketing side.

For fifty years the club have not been able to get Company's on the Trading Estate to really back us so really great the number now getting on board can only be positive.

Agree SD.

Our new owners look to be doing a great job which is looking really positive for the future.

Edited by Reading Rebel

5 hours ago, Mark44 said:

The 2019/2022 season, was shortened due to covid to 35 games giving 60 points, however with an average points per game of 1.71, and with only 42 games if extrapolated out would give 71.82 points, or with 46 games to make it comparable to this season it would extrapolate out to 78.66

So based on these numbers this season was the second best.

1 hour ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

The 2019/2022 season, was shortened due to covid to 35 games giving 60 points, however with an average points per game of 1.71, and with only 42 games if extrapolated out would give 71.82 points, or with 46 games to make it comparable to this season it would extrapolate out to 78.66

So based on these numbers this season was the second best.

Good job Winston Churchill did`nt look for negatives like you.

Based on what did happen, not what if, Scott and Co have done a terrific job.

12 hours ago, Banny said:

Good job Winston Churchill did`nt look for negatives like you.

Based on what did happen, not what if, Scott and Co have done a terrific job.

Banny, all I was doing was giving an accurate reply, if you don’t like the facts you can stick with the hype.

20 hours ago, Mark44 said:

and I'll let you know what happens when I'm 112 😁

Overall a successful season in my book - a great last 75% of the season...just need to sort out our slow start - some great cup games, Ebbsfleet, Grimsby (although let's not forget how close we were to going out to Salisbury and a feeling like we're developing well off the pitch.

4 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Banny, all I was doing was giving an accurate reply, if you don’t like the facts you can stick with the hype.

The hype 😂

Pretty much everyone predicted us to get relegated.

We’ve just finished 10th in a league where there are 6 full time teams.

We’ve recruited every play bar one from a lower level last summer, only exception with one being from the conference south.

We’ve gone 23 games unbeaten at home.

We’ve got to the 1st Round of the FA Cup.

Our attendances have risen brilliantly. The fans have been absolutely superb and enjoyed watching a team that works their absolute socks off for the badge. 

If Luton, Burnley, Sheffield United were able stay in the premier league then it’s successful season for them.

Have we had success.. some will say no because we haven’t lifted a trophy. A lot of people will think that winning something is success.

Has it been successful? Most definitely.

I looked up the meaning of success…

accomplishing a desired aim or result.
"the focus should be on a successful outcome”

Our desired aim wasn’t to win the league… 👍🏼

9 minutes ago, Scott Davies said:

The hype 😂

Pretty much everyone predicted us to get relegated.

We’ve just finished 10th in a league where there are 6 full time teams.

We’ve recruited every play bar one from a lower level last summer, only exception with one being from the conference south.

We’ve gone 23 games unbeaten at home.

We’ve got to the 1st Round of the FA Cup.

Our attendances have risen brilliantly. The fans have been absolutely superb and enjoyed watching a team that works their absolute socks off for the badge. 

If Luton, Burnley, Sheffield United were able stay in the premier league then it’s successful season for them.

Have we had success.. some will say no because we haven’t lifted a trophy. A lot of people will think that winning something is success.

Has it been successful? Most definitely.

I looked up the meaning of success…

accomplishing a desired aim or result.
"the focus should be on a successful outcome”

Our desired aim wasn’t to win the league… 👍🏼

So whats the desired aim for next season? A number of forum members say they would like to be in the playoffs but none so far want to win the playoffs!

3 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

So whats the desired aim for next season? A number of forum members say they would like to be in the playoffs but none so far want to win the playoffs!

The play offs would be incredible… everyone has to dream big! Yet again though, I think the league is even tougher again next season.

We’ve piled on the pressure and expectation for next season after finishing 10th this season. 

Whether we are going to be a victim of our own success and raising hopes, that’s yet to be known! I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

But I can honestly say, hand on heart, I didn’t expect to finish 10th this season and would’ve snapped everyone’s hand off at the beginning of last August to finish top 15.

Correct me if I’m wrong, SirRebel will know… In comparison to last season we have climbed more places than any team in the league last year.

And we ended up with 25% more points than we did last season. Not one other team has had the same increase, or in fact, anywhere near it.

Replicating that will be difficult, but we’ll give it a right good go.

12 minutes ago, Irishadrian said:

No point getting into the play-offs if you don't want to win them.

I don't want to speak on behalf of Scott, the management team and the owners but I'm pretty damn sure their desired aim next season will be to get into the play-offs and to win them.

Forgot Hampton… they’re a 25% increase on points too.

Dartford                     83 46      -37

Worthing                   78 84        +6

Chelmsford               78 84        +6

St Albans                   75 68       -7

Braintree                     74 81       +7

Eastbourne                 71 52       -19

Tonbridge                   70 58      -12

Havant                        69 37      - 32

Bath                             67 73       +6

Farnborough               66 72      + 6

Chippenham               62 62       0

Taunton                       61 46      - 15