Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Players signed, retained, left the club

1 hour ago, Scott Davies said:

Glen, I’m glad you said that! 😅 I don’t remember saying it, or being asked that question!

I think every team aims high, and there will be a number of teams ‘hoping’ to get in that top 7, like Aveley managed this season!

We would love to improve on last season but we know that will be tough. Let’s see I guess!

Scott I hope  you and the club can improve on last season and I believe you and your coaches are the best guys for the job, since you took over I have taken more of an interest in the club and been to more games and enjoyed watching you guys. Good luck for the season 

1 hour ago, Brettski said:

Scott I hope  you and the club can improve on last season and I believe you and your coaches are the best guys for the job, since you took over I have taken more of an interest in the club and been to more games and enjoyed watching you guys. Good luck for the season 

Thank you Brett. Glad you’re enjoying watching us. Much appreciated 👍🏼

2 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

I'm pretty sure the question was asked 'what are the clubs ambitions for next season'

It was said 10th place exceeded the clubs expectations in their '5 year plan' but seeing as we were only 5 points of the play-offs and with normal progression Tristan said a play off play was the target to which I definitely saw Scott nod his head in agreement or was that in despair at the weight of expectation 😅      

I’ll always aim high but within reason. Marc White has said that Dorking are the ones to beat. You’ll never hear me say that will be in the top 7 as I could be left standing here with egg on my face looking rather stupid.

There will be the best part of 15-20 clubs expecting to finish above us this season, as there probably was last year too!

Anyone wanting to predict the NLS is a lunatic! 😅

Let’s just wait and see 🤞🏼

On 18/05/2024 at 20:48, Reading Rebel said:

I'd say 4 decent step 2 players for their money but as I said we don't really know for sure how much our new owners could stretch to.

Our aim this season is the play offs as Scott stated at the fans forum.

I can't see Slough making the play offs next season unless the club come by a windfall. We are not in as bad a shape as say Hampton but for me it always takes time to bed in new players regardless of what division they are from.

I'd say we are miles away from a title challenge, and aiming at the play offs seems unrealistic. Even if the club bring in 3 or 4 NLS experienced players, our current squad looks light of real quality [with the very odd exception]. 

I would have thought getting anywhere near the 10th place finish of last season would be good given the club's current resources and the amount of competition our team will face next season in our league.

Scott and his management team have worked wonders in the two seasons they have been together but can they keep doing it on what appears to be an average to smallish budget [if the rumours are true] which compared to other teams looks more of a challenge with every passing year?

This is not a dig at the owners or the team management. I just think fans expect too much here at Slough Town FC currently. If we compared our team to teams in the Premier League we are miles off being a Manchester City,Chelsea or even a Manchester United . Slough seem more like West Ham: a resilient team that is established and perform acts of good stuff on occasion but rarely win anything ie prudent spending without making any headlines and breaking the bank.

Least we're not Sheffield United ! ha ha !

So to me I'm expecting 2024/25 to be another moderate season for the Rebels.One can live in hope for better but I can't say I'm expecting it.

1 hour ago, 3spirit said:

I can't see Slough making the play offs next season unless the club come by a windfall. We are not in as bad a shape as say Hampton but for me it always takes time to bed in new players regardless of what division they are from.

I'd say we are miles away from a title challenge, and aiming at the play offs seems unrealistic. Even if the club bring in 3 or 4 NLS experienced players, our current squad looks light of real quality [with the very odd exception]. 

I would have thought getting anywhere near the 10th place finish of last season would be good given the club's current resources and the amount of competition our team will face next season in our league.

Scott and his management team have worked wonders in the two seasons they have been together but can they keep doing it on what appears to be an average to smallish budget [if the rumours are true] which compared to other teams looks more of a challenge with every passing year?

This is not a dig at the owners or the team management. I just think fans expect too much here at Slough Town FC currently. If we compared our team to teams in the Premier League we are miles off being a Manchester City,Chelsea or even a Manchester United . Slough seem more like West Ham: a resilient team that is established and perform acts of good stuff on occasion but rarely win anything ie prudent spending without making any headlines and breaking the bank.

So to me I'm expecting 2024/25 to be another moderate season for the Rebels.One can live in hope for better but I can't say I'm expecting it.

I’ll reserve league placing predictions until I see who we sign (IF that ever happens…!!!). I too think it’ll be a difficult task to better last season’s position just from the players we’ve lost (so far). Hopefully we can get the extra revenue making streams up and running urgently plus bring in more sponsorship so we can up the budget.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, 3spirit said:

It boils down to what players leave and what players come in.

Of course the budget is important but not the be and end all as clubs like Aveley have proven.

We know the players that have left and will possible leave but the unknown is the quality of the players that we will bring into the club.

We don't know, and will never know what our budget is.

These unknown factors could well determine what sort of season lies ahead so it's far too early to predict what position we'll finish in the league.

The club obviously want to progress on the field as well as off so any position above 10th place will be seen as progression.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, 3spirit said:

3spirit, I think we've got to be a lot more optimistic than what you've posted which does sound a bit doom and gloom.

Yes, there are lots of clubs in the NLS that have more money but if a manager has the right contacts and the budget is spent wisely I see no reason why a challenge for a play-off place can't be achieved.

We had an unsettled start to last season which included 3 goal keepers and several loan players and still flirted with the play-offs.

No one is saying it'll be easy but we've got to be positive and give it our best shot.

Edited by Reading Rebel

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

3spirit, I think we've got to be a lot more optimistic than what you've posted which does sound a bit doom and gloom.

Yes, there are lots of clubs in the NLS that have more money but if a manager has the right contacts and the budget is spent wisely I see no reason why a challenge for a play-off place can't be achieved.

We had an unsettled start to last season which included 3 goal keepers and several loan players and still flirted with the play-offs.

No one is saying it'll be easy but we've got to be positive and give it our best shot.

I didn't mean my post to be doom and gloom RR. I view it as realism.

I want Slough to win the title every season but I know it's not going to happen.

No manager is going to say 'we are likely to be battling it out in the bottom half of the table' at a start of a season.Fans won't rush to buy season tickets on that statement Most managers say their aim is the play offs but they are not fools they know how capable their players/squad really is before a ball is even kicked.

In my opinion Slough exceeded expectations last season and put in a stirling effort to get a credible 10th in the table and had a fine FA Cup run. With the Spring/Summer break upon us we have news that Temi Eweka, Tyrese Dyce and Dan Lincoln have left our club and have rumours that Johnny Goddard will also leave. We also have no news on Matt Lench. I would say all those players will be hard to replace [like for like] and to then expect better results than last season seems hopeful at best, rather than likely ! 

It's good to be optimistic and positive but reality isn't always like that. I hope I'm wrong and Slough have a great season ahead of them but it seems a pipe dream to me.  

Edited by 3spirit

1 hour ago, 3spirit said:

I didn't mean my post to be doom and gloom RR. I view it as realism.

I want Slough to win the title every season but I know it's not going to happen.

No manager is going to say 'we are likely to be battling it out in the bottom half of the table' at a start of a season.Fans won't rush to buy season tickets on that statement Most managers say their aim is the play offs but they are not fools they know how capable their players/squad really is before a ball is even kicked.

In my opinion Slough exceeded expectations last season and put in a stirling effort to get a credible 10th in the table and had a fine FA Cup run. With the Spring/Summer break upon us we have news that Temi Eweka, Tyrese Dyce and Dan Lincoln have left our club and have rumours that Johnny Goddard will also leave. We also have no news on Matt Lench. I would say all those players will be hard to replace [like for like] and to then expect better results than last season seems hopeful at best, rather than likely ! 

It's good to be optimistic and positive but reality isn't always like that. I hope I'm wrong and Slough have a great season ahead of them but it seems a pipe dream to me.  

I think it's been said before most loyal supporters will buy a season ticket regardless of what players are leaving and there being no good news.

If you want to exceed sales over and above what almost becomes the norm for season tickets you have to generate positivity and excitement around the club to persuade and entice the 'fence sitters' that are weighing up whether to buy a ticket or not.

You buy a season ticket because you support the club 1st.

players come 2nd.

Look at the clubs who had big budgets and them got relegated.

A tight knitted team of players working for each other more than not out ways a team of individuals that cost arm @ leg :lol: playing for themselves.

COYREBELS 

On 20/05/2024 at 19:39, Scott Davies said:

Glen, I’m glad you said that! 😅 I don’t remember saying it, or being asked that question!

I think every team aims high, and there will be a number of teams ‘hoping’ to get in that top 7, like Aveley managed this season!

We would love to improve on last season but we know that will be tough. Let’s see I guess!

We’re all going to have to trust Scott with his signings ,he knows what we need and he is a good judge of character and he will sign good players 

COYR

28 minutes ago, sdelane2308 said:

players come 2nd.

A tight knitted team of players working for each other more than not out ways a team of individuals that cost arm @ leg :lol: playing for themselves.

COYREBELS 

Believe the  Steve Bateman teams never got over the line because of this.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, sdelane2308 said:

players come 2nd.

COYREBELS 

Exactly SD, with loyal supporters the club comes first regardless of who leaves and who signs.

But that only applies to a % of the attendance who turn up on a Saturday.   

Edited by Reading Rebel

14 minutes ago, Markskelton said:

So That’s 5 first team players gone,but miffed with Johnny going to be Honest after his interview..Guess we were nowhere near matching his ambition with additions.

He’s been offered full time football, that’s one thing we can’t match. 

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

He’s been offered full time football, that’s one thing we can’t match. 

I get that,but he did say if the club brought in quality players to match his ambition he would be up for staying.

34 minutes ago, Markskelton said:

So That’s 5 first team players gone,but miffed with Johnny going to be Honest after his interview..Guess we were nowhere near matching his ambition with additions.

5 gone and we needed 3 or 4 to strengthen the squad so I make that around 8/9 new signings required.