Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Liverpool

The fact that Liverpool have been made to sweat on this decision is an absolute joke.

Of course the winners of the trophy should be invited back to defend their title, even if they are relegated from the top division.

The fact that Man Utd, Arsenal, and Everton are also participating in the Champions League is also a joke.

The Champions League should be for the champions of each European country not for those that finish below 1st. place. That way the previous seasons winners could easily be accomodated. It should, in my view be the case, that unless a club wins their National League they do not participate in what after all is called the Champions League.

Quote:
White Van Nistelrooy said:Of course the winners of the trophy should be invited back to defend their title, even if they are relegated from the top division.

The Champions League should be for the champions of each European country not for those that finish below 1st. place.

Er, remind us how Liverpool qualified for last season's Champions' League again.

I believe that having more than one club from each country,in the Champions League, is leading,eventually,to one thing.A European super league,with all the elite clubs in Europe playing each other in a closed shop. With one aim....to make bucketloads of money

Quote:
jc said:
Quote:
White Van Nistelrooy said:Of course the winners of the trophy should be invited back to defend their title, even if they are relegated from the top division.

The Champions League should be for the champions of each European country not for those that finish below 1st. place.

Er, remind us how Liverpool qualified for last season's Champions' League again.

Indeed if you take his 2nd argument, the 1st argument wouldn't exist!

Quote:
49er said:I believe that having more than one club from each country,in the Champions League, is leading, eventually, to one thing. A European super league, with all the elite clubs in Europe playing each other in a closed shop. With one aim....to make bucketloads of money

Erm...isn't that exactly what's happening now? It's called a league, and there's no pretention to even bother referring to it as a cup competition anymore...
...aaaaand the top teams get a bye past all those (unimportant, piddly, let's-get-these-poor-worthless-domestic-champions-out-of-the-way-early-so-we-can-all-watch-Feyenoord-Milan) sides from smaller countries.

Understanding irony obviously isn't one of your strong points is it Anon? It certainly isn't White van Mans the original poster. Liverpool did not finish first so should never have had the chance to win the Cup. Therefore his argument also defies logic.

Quote:
kmj said:
Understanding irony obviously isn't one of your strong points is it Anon? It certainly isn't White van Mans the original poster. Liverpool did not finish first so should never have had the chance to win the Cup. Therefore his argument also defies logic.

How old are you kmj?

JC appears to be implying that I am have some allegiance towards Liverpool. The truth of the matter is that I have been a 'follower' of Manchester United since I was around 4 years of age (I am now 51).

Liverpool secured a place in last seasons Champions League as a result of a system that is unfair to those clubs from other smaller countries, all of whom have one thing in common, they all won their domestic league. Why should they have to go through numerous qualifying rounds, in the hope that ultimately they just might get into the league stage, especially as the odds always appear to be stacked against them. Whether they be the champions of Spain, Germany, Malta, or Iceland they are still the countries domestic champions and as such deserve a place in the league stages of the competition. Not subjected to qualifying rounds so that the competition can accomodate 4 clubs from England, 4 clubs from Spain and Italy etc. etc. England's sole representative in the competition last season should have been Arsenal, next season it should be Chelsea. The only clubs invited to participate in the Champions League should be the clubs that have won their domestic league competiton, and the previous seasons Champions League winners.

The name of the competition really should give a clue 'Its called the 'Champions League', not the 'Champions....and for some of the more wealthy countries those that came second, third, and fourth League.

My arguement about allowing Liverpool back into the competition to defend their title, would still apply whether it had been AC Milan, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or whoever. Liverpool were in the competiton as a result of the questionable way the competition has been set-up, i.e. to make as much money for the richer clubs as is possible. They won it, therefore they should be allowed to defend the trophy next season. This applies to all sports whether it be golf, tennis etc. any other decision would have been madness. The question remains whether they should have been in the allowed into the competion, last season, in the first place.

Quote:
White Van Nistelrooy said: They won it, therefore they should be allowed to defend the trophy next season. This applies to all sports whether it be golf, tennis etc. any other decision would have been madness.

This isn't entirely universal practice in football, since the World Cup winners no longer automatically qualify for the next finals. Point taken, though.

Quote:
Student Scum said:
Quote:
49er said:I believe that having more than one club from each country,in the Champions League, is leading, eventually, to one thing. A European super league, with all the elite clubs in Europe playing each other in a closed shop. With one aim....to make bucketloads of money

Erm...isn't that exactly what's happening now? It's called a league, and there's no pretention to even bother referring to it as a cup competition anymore...
...aaaaand the top teams get a bye past all those (unimportant, piddly, let's-get-these-poor-worthless-domestic-champions-out-of-the-way-early-so-we-can-all-watch-Feyenoord-Milan) sides from smaller countries.
What I meant was,that this Super league would be PERMANENT, and the elite clubs wont even bother with their own domestic comps,just play each other.