Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lost souls

Cookie

Disappointed with Saturdays turn out? I was! What else can be done by the club and by us to encourage those lost 200-500 to return? Posters help but if they are not actually being displayed,though all were taken,then this should be addressed.I know we've been over this on here before but on Saturday the league leaders I thought, would have, & should have attracted more even taking into account the results and performances prior to Saturday.

Maybe now they WILL come back after that cracking performance but is there more than CAN be done nevertheless in the meantime.Any suggestions?

No ideas yet but I too was surprised. As for causes; previous disappointing performances? Rugby on TV? Getting cold? Xmas shopping? Hopefully, word of this latest performance will get round.

[color:"blue"]Trouble is Cookie, that it was bl**dy freezing. If you're a floating supporter & were given the option of freezing your bits off at a football match, watching a team that's being playing indifferently OR sitting in your centrally heated front room / toasting your feet in front of the fire - freezing your bits off is not going to be too popular.

All valid excuses Steve/Peter but the attraction of the league leaders I would have thought would have offset all those reasons,surely. Had it been another club deep in the relegation zone then I could have understood but it wasnt just any team here on Saturday was it?.If thats the best we can get for the table toppers then what will other less fancied teams attract.Its got to be a concern.

Its getting that word around to the people though isnt it? Posters have been a major help I think up till now & it just concerns me that they are not being displayed like they were before.

If the people out there dont read the local how else are they/were they supposed to know who we are playing and when.Word of mouth or being one of those that attend may not be enough on their own.

p.s.It wasnt as cold as was expected on Saturday Peter,and besides your post highlights my point. What else can be done to try and attract those sit at home in their warm environment,the floating fans, to come along,apart from giving each one an outdoor heater,an armchair and a cuppa brought TO them during the match. Now thats a thought! Any usherettes out there?

Saturday's game was not advertised in the press, due to it being rearranged. Not only that, but apparently Tuesday's programme suggested fans do their Xmas shopping Saturday as there would be no fixture.

There was a honeymoon period when we returned to HDP, but we are still getting the best gates in the league barring AFCW, which are a special case.

The club are doing a lot to keep fans interested, with CK doing interviews every week etc. The posters will help too.

However the biggest draw will be RESULTS. It's starting to happen, so let's not be too pessimistic.

As an Exile for many years, attending only a few games where posssible, I am now back in the area and find that word of mouth is the best way to encourage people in. If people know you support Margate and you are positive about the matches (even those we lost) you can persuade people along at least to the next game. Saturday I was in a group of 4 which included a new supporter and 3 others returning to the game after a long break. Another friend did chicken out at the last moment because of the weather but I will work on that.

Have to stay positive and as long as I see a Margate team willing to give 100% commitment wearing the club colours I will do the same.

In the pre season supporters gave up there time to help get the ground upto a standard which would allow the Gaaate back home.The float on the carnival was a great success,(Kids are still wearing those arm bands)People became aware of the Gaaaate.Perhaps it is time again for another publicity drive to lift Margate FC profile in the comunity.How about a table outside, say Tesco's,Sainsburys or Asda or high street.handing out fixture list, goldengate/Misa membership forms Balloons( say a pound each which could be let go and the one that goes the farthest gets to be mascot ect),talking to people in general about what its like to be Gate supporters. Perhaps hire a crocodile suit ,dress it in blue and white and call him Gaaaater man. Give away some badges. Could even sell a few shirts ect. We could also sell raffle tickets,i am sure we could do a great job in raising the clubs profile,and increasing the Gaaate.What are your views Tony or any body.

The performances of course is part of the reason but its down to the weather as well. Im not the only person to have said this. Unless they are proper hardcore fans who want to watch the team no matter what, the temptation to stay in with a cup of cocoa and lounge about watching some telly is quite strong. Of course I would stay to watch the team, no matter what. Id just be hiding at the clubhouse end the whole time shielding myself from the cold wind!

Also, have you noticed we only play well at home when we are under flood lights.