Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saturdays defensive line up

michael

Understandably, in the throes of misery, not much actual reporting of the game itself on saturday.

Both pre and post game, i think a few expresed the need Gregs exclusion-i could understand playing Smith against Leyton away, but surely in vital games against the likes of PB,Ivanhoe and Billericay you start with tried and tested players.

There again, there are so many influences which us supporters are not privvy to.

Not suggesting for one minute that was the cause of saturdays defeat ,but remain a bit surprised that the likes of Smith(who will be a very good player) is played in these vital games.

Putting that to one side, another surprise for me, was the 'sudden ' reintroduction of Donovan alongside RT in defenece.

JD has been out of favour to Wild for a few games,but comes back in the vital cup game.

Slightly odd to me, as i thought CW and RT were just about our best defensive combination.

I'm curious as to how it actually worked out on saturday.

Again, i'm not for one minute suggesting that these selections resulted in the defeat-i was not there so can't comment,and from afar, the defeat seems to be alot deeper seated-i'm just wondering how the defence looked overall.

i think the jury is still out on who is our best defensive combination.

Unfortunately, after saturdays defeat, i guess it means we cannot now get another top quality defender on board.

The problem on Saturday wasn’t really with the defence. It’s true that we are too slow in central defence because Trott/Donovan/Wild are all the same type of player: they head out the long ball, they can’t deal with the runs. We haven’t been bad defensively, but we need someone to win the ball on the ground. Saunders can do it, but he can’t be everywhere at once.

The goals were conceded as follows: 1) PB’s top player Fanibuyan brought the ball in from the right approx level with the edge of the box; nobody took him on so he thought let’s have a go. Goal. Trotty knows what is wrong, because Sappleton would have been the answer. Hopefully we will find another.

2) a mix-up between the goalie and a defender (yours, mine etc.), the sort of thing that can happen. Attacker nips in, gk brings him down (Skinner/SCS – both good players).

None of that would have mattered if we had converted possession into shots on target. That’s the problem. Towards the end we started to do it but too late. We are spending too long playing possession football and not getting shots in. It needs a forward-thinking mindset: get the ball into the area, hit the target, NOT ‘keep possession at any cost’. Ok maybe 4 out of 5 times you don’t get a shot in, but if you keep trying (at our level) you will force defensive errors and get your chance. This is not the Premiership or even the Conf. We should be playing football appropriate to the league we play in. That means work at defences and wait for the error. It will come.

As far as I see, nobody has mentioned the sub striker (Holden?) who worked hard and really looked the part. Not enough time to judge him on Saturday but looked a prospect.

Just on your other point, I don’t think Smith played badly at all. He is young and not as strong as he will be, but I have to disagree with some who say Greg is better at RB. I would like to see Greg given a chance on the wing, where we all know he can take on defenders and get crosses in.

What type/mould of striker is Holden ?

Small and pacey,playing off the other striker-a Ryman league Defoe ?

or a big bruiser and 'leader of the line'-Ryman league Shearer ?

You got it in one i think Chris :

''Ok maybe 4 out of 5 times you don’t get a shot in, but if you keep trying (at our level) you will force defensive errors and get your chance. This is not the Premiership or even the Conf. We should be playing football appropriate to the league we play in.

Cheers.

Its a bit neaderthal of me, but at this level, i always feel that a good big one,has a better chance than a nippy little one.

The problem with alot of younger players is that they don;t have the physical build to succeed against the rugged defenders you get in the Ryman/conference.

If they can 'look after themselves' ,they have a chance.

The big proviso is of course that they apply themselves-Darren Watson take note-he ought to have been the next Akpo Sodge

Quote:
michaelmichael said:
Cheers.

Its a bit neaderthal of me, but at this level, i always feel that a good big one,has a better chance than a nippy little one.

The problem with alot of younger players is that they don;t have the physical build to succeed against the rugged defenders you get in the Ryman/conference.

If they can 'look after themselves' ,they have a chance.
The big proviso is of course that they apply themselves-Darren Watson take note-he ought to have been the next Akpo Sodge

GOING AROUD CHARGING ABOUT WITH LITTLE THOUGHT IN YOUR HEAD AND NOT BEING ABLE TO PASS THE BALL WELL IS NEANDERTHAL. IT SERVES NO PURPOSE. DEFENDERS LOVE THIS TYPE OF PLAYER. IT BECOMES A PHYSICAL BATTLE RATHER THAN SKILL. A GOOD PACEY PLAYER WITH SOME SKILL AND GOOD PASSING ABILITY WILL STUFF ANY OVERWEIGHT DEFENDER I'M AFRAID