Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Walid Matata released by Folkestone!

Wellsie

Just taken this from the Folkestone web-site ....

Striker Walid Matata is today being released from his contract by Folkestone Invicta.

Neil Cugley explained, “Walid was one of the higher earners at the Club and it makes it a bit easier to use the money to bring in more locally based, cheaper players. We’ve obviously got to get our squad numbers up as we were getting so short of players that it was embarrassing. With Walid going I can use that money to finance a few of the younger ones we’ve brought in, and there might be another one, it won’t be for Saturday but hopefully we’ll get one more in which will bring our squad up to some sort of a reasonable number.”

The Invicta boss believed it was likely Matata would find another club very soon stating, “He’s got other clubs interested in him and he’ll definitely get a club as he is a good player. To be fair if he was more of a local player, I think he would have been a very good asset as you could’ve got him training twice a week and you would see a big improvement in his play. With him living in Tottenham it is a long old travel down, which wasn’t always ideal for him and us. Sometime he was late for training because of traffic or he was late home and at the end of the day I think it will suit everybody this way. We wish him all the best as we’ve had no problem with him and we hope he does well wherever he goes and we hope he kicks on.”

The bottom line remains the financial situation at the Club at the present time and Neil remarked, “If anyone else comes in to help finance the Club, perhaps then we could bring some more players in. But we’ve got three important games coming up against teams around us which we need to concentrate on. I know it’s not ideal having people on trial at this time of year but it’s what we’ve got to do to see what their about and if we can get another one in, that’s five or six we’ve brought in recently. If two or three of them can become decent, regular players for Folkestone then it would’ve been a worthwhile exercise.”

Must be frustrating for the fans but it looks like they need to balance the books.

Perhaps he could car share with Abbo? Matata has always impressed me although when he was at Dover some of their fans weren't too hot on his finishing. Thing is, he's scored a few cracking goals against us. In my opinion, he's the sort of player who can offer us something a bit different in the final third and will frighten teams. I would say we could do with a target man to get on the end of crosses but with Matata available his pace and skill makes it hard to ignore him. Matata is a little bit special in terms of his athleticism for this level. One criticism I would make is that we can sometimes be a little predictable and teams can stifle us but with Matata it would make it a lot tougher for teams to shut us out. Remember the Phil Collins and Leon Braithwaite partnership.

Like him very good player quick and dangerous if used in the correct way,i think he would be the perfect foil for Hockton,saw him a couple of times last season and i thought he had the potential to play at much better level,give him him the ball to feet around the box thats his asset.

Would be a good move perhaps, but come next season "if" we fail to get promoted we could end up in the same boat as Folkestone with a Wage bill larger then our income and dwindling crowds and thats if we arnt in that situation all ready.

Signing a 'name' up front would give out a bad signal to our promising reserve players, not to mention our existing very successful strike force.

We don't need another striker at present, particularly not Walid. We need a nippy defender who can dispossess forwards without fouling and has the composure to pass the ball out accurately.

That will release Jay to midfield where he and Proths look so formidable. In fact right now Saunders could play up front with Danny and we might score more goals. That's because JP plays deep and doesn't shoot enough. Hopefully that will change as he gets more confidence.

For the moment I would vote for keeping a settled team unless we sign someone at the back or changes are forced on us by injuries/suspensions/poor results. Too much tweaking can be bad.

Quote:
michaelmichael said:
As i keep on saying-Remy is a goal machine and quality at this level

Sorry to disagree with you Michael but Remy is by no means a goal machine. He scores goals yes,after all thats what hes there for but you fail to see or hear about all the errors he makes, all the easy misses he makes also. He COULD be a prolific goalscorer if he were to cut out these errors,& there are quite a few(though admittedly I havent seen ALL his games to be fair).He's not up to the standard that we are needing to get out of this league i.m.o.

Sorry Michael, I agree with Cookie on this one. Remy had many scoring opportunities for us and scored, what, 3 was it?

You can't even mention him in the same breath as Hockton.

Remy, Yiga etc.; young players good enough for step 4/5, but won't make it at our level until they are 28 or so (if ever).