Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Today's Gazette

I am Spartacus

O.k. Alan I too don't want to fall out with you either.Quite rightly the decisions ARE made by those who are employed to make them & in no way am I trying to do that on here.I am merely discussing it & given my opinions on the subject.I need now not say anymore on the subject as I feel I have exhausted my opinions as I see them.

To get a good crowd you not only have to attract the floating fan (no pun intend due to the weather) but, (and this is the most important one) the visiting away fan.

If you look at the attendances when we play away you will notice that it is always the second or third highest attendance (generally it is AFC Norbiton).

So if we want to get better gates then we have to get the away supporter to HDP. This is helped by the good and friendly away supporters we send to other clubs but must also be done by the football we play.

After all think when you go away of the money you spend on food, drink etc. This does increase the profitability of the match.

Also attendance figures do not reflect the true nett gate receipts of the game. It was fascanating to hear the Ramsgate Chairman say the other week that they only had 140 paying customers at the match even though the official attendance was 276. One of the first things that Ken Bates did when he became Chairman of Chelsea was to cut back on the amount of complimentary tickets and limited players and DIRECTORS to only 2 each (for directors one of the tickets was for themselves).

To have a succesful club (remember that at the end of the day it is a buisness) is to increase profitabilty. In my opinon (as I stated before) this is not done by appointing a commercial manager. After all how much would they cost and, would it be trully cost effective.

When the budget is drawn up for the season it has to done realistically and have flexability built into it to take account of changing circumstances.

Remember if it carries on raining next week like this one then we will have another postpoinment to deal with and, that match will be moved to a Tuesday night with a possible reduction of at least 100 attendance. That will mean (using AP figure) a loss of approx £500+ food/drink takings.

The Ryman League does not have the same profile or allure as the Conference. We would probably need to be 20 points clear at the top before we started picking up the floating fans who watched us in our Conference days.

Also, we just have to accept that, with a few exceptions and local derbies, away support is minimal once you get below the Conference. Even in Conference South I thought the number of away fans who came to Homelands was pretty poor. Clubs like Harrow, Hampton, Staines and so on are never going to bring decent numbers.

I think the point about performances is valid. MFC and football on a Saturday is a product and is in competition with a whole load of other products - from watching the TV to shopping at Westwood Cross to going up to London to see Charlton in the Premiership.

If "our" product is perceived as lower value by the customers, then they will go and "buy" something else.

We clearly have a strong and robust core set of customers / supporters of around 550-600. So the "missing" 500-600 are off doing something else. And it takes much less time to lose them than it does to get them back, or get them in the first place. In our DM title season, our average attendance in the second half of the season (when we looked likely to win promotion) was more than double that of the first half.

Everything that everyone is doing including you Cookie as well as the directors is part of the "noise" and that "noise" needs to continue and be added to. That's hoefully what we are doing with the internet commentary and experimental tie up with BBC RK. All I would say is that for goodness sake, don't anyone stop!

When we hit the new year and we're still in with a good shout at the title, attendances will go up becasue the product that people want to see - a winning team - will be more attractive to them than it is now.

Having said all that I still think that schools and the Thanet Sunday League are untapped markets for the club.

A big problem with attendances is the ground.

If the club wanted to increase crowds it should look at building a temporary stand at the coffin end for a start.

Thanet has thousands of people who love football. But both Hartsdown and Southwood are offputting to all but a few diehards.

Hopefully we will get some progress on the ground soon,but with just one proper end and one side i think crowds wont go up by much.

Agre with Wellsie that it is a 'winning team' which willl bring in the crowds.

Equally , everyone should not bea themselves up to much since as far as i can see attendances are generally down all around this season(unless you are a promoted club ).Not much consolation though as the bills still have to be paid.

I probably am being a bit unfair, especialy from 225 miles away, but i did say from start of season that i did not see much evidence of the club promoting itself-when did we start shirt sponsorship-and then half heartedly-about late September -when that was a summer job !!

The worst thing is though despite our reasonable league season-the cup defeats have hurt-both in the losing itself-and the timing-just when things were looking up and interest was getting going.

We needed cup wins to keep interest going into early November and crowds at least reasonable until then prior to the regular pre-Xmas drop off.

Just shows the importance of th cup(s).

Even if we got 200 more through the turnstiles over next 10 games-that would give say an extra £15K,whereas 2 cup wins would have generated the same,plus get the additional crowds.

Even the Westview cup would have stimulated general interest in the dark Nov/December days which has a spin off in higher league attendances

OK so it is up to all of us to push the name of the club whenever and wherever we are.

London work colleague now look out for our results and a couple will be attending away fixtures in their areas BUT support Margate.

Locally I am pushing the club in the British Legion and a few (at the moment) have attended games with more to follow.

If you go to anywhere PUSH the clubs name