Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Resignation

But isn't that what the alleged problem is? That is, that is what we've got! I can't see how any director (and I do not have a Constitution to hand) is empowered to withhold information from the Board i.e. other directors.

It would be grossly insulting to assume that an individual would blab confidential matters and to withhold information on that assumption. Again I do not see that it is constititionally possible. Obviously if an individual DID spill the beans, it would be a serious, possibly resigning, matter. But you can't hang someone on the grounds that they might commit a murder.

Notwithstanding all the above, I must add that my comments on this thread are largely hypothetical. Over the past 5-plus years I think our Board (and the other volunteers) have done a superb, if not superhuman, job in moving our club along from nothing to where we are now, and for what it's worth (if anything) they have my full support: a big well done to all.

Doesn't mean anyone is not accountable and that questions can't be asked however.

So you change the board structure and have executive directors and non-executive directors. The role of the non-executive directors is STILL to hold the executive members to account on confidential matters on behalf of the stakeholders who are in this case the supporters. If you exclude this check and balance you are excluding understood best business practice. This may suit some inner circle board members but is in my opinion NOT in the long term interest of the Society.

What happens when executive directors blab confidential matters to supporters after too many beers in the brimmo bar then, or the finances start to slide into a mess? We are a cooperative and those that are frightened of being held to account for their shortcomings might do well to look in the mirror at their own fears in this matter.

I don't think we are talking about exec & non exec Directors, just less of them supported by something like the old EFC General Purposes Committee (for find raising, grounds maintenance, etc. etc.).

I think we are all generally agreed that not all extant Directors can possibly be consulted on every decision that needs to be made, from booking coaches to kick off times and everything in between.

The issue of checks and balances is absolutely valid, and appears to me what both the Chairman & Vice Chairman are planning to address in what appears to me to be a commitment to a greater frequency of Trust meetings in the future.

Whatever Phil's reasons for resignation, business, personal or otherwise, it has certainly encouraged debate, on a range key issues, which is healthy and can't be a bad thing.

Everyone wants to see the Club succeed and move forward. What has been achieved over the past five seasons is nothing short of miraculous, and if we are to maintain the momentum, Society board members deserve all the support available.

Yes, we all have our own ideas about the size of the board, accountability, communication, etc and yes, there is probably a strong argument for introducing a General Purposes Committee similiar to that which existed at Southbury Road. Has this ever been proposed as a possibility?

As we approach the new year and the second half of the season, let's not forget the Club is doing very well, Jim Chandler and the lads are on a roll, and well on course for promotion. Let's get right behind the team at Ware tomorrow and cheer them to victory.

Come on 'THE TOWN'.

Originally Posted By: littlehampton

Certain Board matters have to remain confidential, and are not for public consumption on the terraces, in the bar, or on the fans forum. .

so why are certain confidential matters known by supporters before all of the directors have been notified?

Answer, the "inner circle" or "senior board" members demonstrate the exact behaviour you describe, plus they seem to want their own exclusive club.

There is no need for 2 or 3 level teir of information within the board of a limited company.

All triangles have 180 degrees - that is, the sum of the three internal angles is 180. Presumably you mean a right-angle triangle as opposed to any other sort, e.g. isoceles, equilateral etc?

Up here in Yorkshire I am thinking of forming an Outer Rhombus. I have not yet decided who to tell about it. (Doh!)

Quite right ST, a multi-level board would be an absurdity and counter to the spirit of the club. Talk of the need to consult other directors on mundane matters is a total red herring. I am sure that every director gives a brief report to the Board on his/her own fields of responsibility, and is aavailable to answer more detailed questions if required - perfectly standard. The point is not that all directors should be consulted before every paper clip is purchased, but the information on that purchase should be available on request. These are everyday running matters: policy matters do require the input of all directors, who we elect to make those decisions.

Yes, yes Invis but I only want to be one corner of it, so just want to get the feel for the optimal degree of angle I would actually be in, Im getting on now but am still nearly six foot tall so would prefer the 90 degree corner, but however I think Arky might bagsy that corner due to his err, err.......width?!

Ah, I understand. Certainly anything less than 90 degrees would probably be a bit uncomfortable, I see your problem. And as you say you can only have one comfortable corner.... putting Arky in any angle is rather like putting a round peg in a square hole....

We in the Outer Rhombus have the advantage of having TWO angles greater than 90 degrees to lie back in.

Originally Posted By: The Invisible Man
Ah, I understand. Certainly anything less than 90 degrees would probably be a bit uncomfortable, I see your problem. And as you say you can only have one comfortable corner.... putting Arky in any angle is rather like putting a round peg in a square hole....

We in the Outer Rhombus have the advantage of having TWO angles greater than 90 degrees to lie back in.

There's no problem with putting a round peg in a square hole provided the peg is smaller! I thought that was obvious

Originally Posted By: littlehampton
Whatever Phil's reasons for resignation, business, personal or otherwise, it has certainly encouraged debate, on a range key issues, which is healthy and can't be a bad thing.

Everyone wants to see the Club succeed and move forward. What has been achieved over the past five seasons is nothing short of miraculous, and if we are to maintain the momentum, Society board members deserve all the support available.

Yes, we all have our own ideas about the size of the board, accountability, communication, etc and yes, there is probably a strong argument for introducing a General Purposes Committee similiar to that which existed at Southbury Road. Has this ever been proposed as a possibility?

As we approach the new year and the second half of the season, let's not forget the Club is doing very well, Jim Chandler and the lads are on a roll, and well on course for promotion. Let's get right behind the team at Ware tomorrow and cheer them to victory.

Come on 'THE TOWN'.

You will probably find that Phil gave his reasons for resigning in the initial posting. It doesn't look like it had anything to do with his business.

Originally Posted By: The Invisible Man
Originally Posted By: Gazza
The Outer Rhombus does sound Impressive, being In Cambridgeshire do I qualify? Or am I on the Inner Rhombus? Just covering all angles you see, just In case Arky refuses me entry to the Golden Triangle.

Absolutely. Anywhere north of Potters bar is Up Norf!

So where is Potters Bar then? Is it in Rhombus border territory?

Originally Posted By: Gazza
The Outer Rhombus does sound Impressive, being In Cambridgeshire do I qualify? Or am I on the Inner Rhombus? Just covering all angles you see, just In case Arky refuses me entry to the Golden Triangle.

No mate, you've been co-opted into the Golden Triangle, the Rhombus mob lean to far to the right (Or left)& have strange northern ways.