Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Fanzine

jc

Originally Posted By: Harry J Allstars
I'm not criticising the club for offering to pay, it's the people who take the money that I question. What if we were in administartion and were a "crisis club" would you still say Kevin should take the clubs money? Money that they could well need. So Kevin how hard up would the club have to be before you said you would do it for free?

How about the players Harry?

They work for the same club that Kevin does and they get paid. How about Liam Daish and Alan Kimble? How about the groundsman or the fitness coach or the people who work behind the bar? Exactly where are you drawing the line between people who should accept their wages and people who should say no thanks you need it more than I do?

Thank you for answering my questions Kevin, sorry if I offended you at all. I do not doubt that you are Gravesend & Northfleet through and through. I imagine that you are also at College and therefore unable to earn yourself a decent wage from any part time job so you personally need all the money you can get. My questions were merely aimed at match day employees as a whole but as you were the one answering my queries got caught up in it all. There are one or two others who would have been more suitable to answer my questions.

Originally Posted By: Slartibartfast

How about the players Harry?

They work for the same club that Kevin does and they get paid. How about Liam Daish and Alan Kimble? How about the groundsman or the fitness coach or the people who work behind the bar? Exactly where are you drawing the line between people who should accept their wages and people who should say no thanks you need it more than I do?

The players earn their wage for a living and need all the money they can get, as it is their wage, others do not. I don't doubt the players commitment, I'm just honoured that they want to wear our shirt.

I work for the club as well through a third party, I do it because I love it, I'm not looking for thanks. Should I be asking for a wage as well?

Well done Alan, now go back and read the thread again.

Note the piece about me not criticising the club for offering the money. I was told by someone close to the club that they hate it when Grays come because they ask the staff what they're earning and offer double, £20 to come and work for them.

Using your logic Alan, chase as much money as possible and stuff everybody else, we wouldn't have any staff as they'd all be at Grays. What would you do then, offer them £30? That's 12 programmes but the season total in terms of wage for two programme sellers and eight turnstile operators, based on 23 league games would be £6,900. And that's money you think we can afford? Using the same basis, two programme sellers and eight turnstile operators, based on 23 league games, what we currently spend would be £2,300.

Originally Posted By: Harry J Allstars
Originally Posted By: DA11
I can see what this threads going to turn into here.

Sorry, I just think if that they "Love the club" as much as they say they do and are "Gravesend 'til they die" then thy would do it for free and pay for the priviledge of doing it.

I'm not saying I'm a better fan then anyone that just turns up and heads straight to the bar, everybody does what they can.

I turn up & head straight for the bar !!...having first bought a programme off of Kenny. However, I also bought a Fanzine & thought it was very good...although a bit too big to stick in the pocket.

Wouldn't it be good if we....young and old, miserable old w*nkers and not, good supporters & not so good supporters, people in ties & caps & those less smartly dressed, could all pull in the same direction ( so to speak !)...then we might get somewhere !

Cheers,

PS....H.....your sales pitch of "have you seen how big it is ?" may have to be modified in order not to frighten some of the punters !

Double cheers...

This should have been a thread about the fanzine - a resurrected publication, for which I applaud all concerned.

Its great that people such as Harry, JC, etc, have made the effort to provide this magazine, as well as actively promoting & selling it - anything that can raise the profile of the club is to be welcomed.

Could we agree a deal to sell a few with WH Smiths or even a couple of local newsagents in Gravesend? I recall some years ago that we also had arrangements to sell matchday programmes in Halls (used to be a newsagent in the Anglesea Centre for those too young to remember)

I realise this sort of idea has been mentioned on here elsewhere & it may not be practical/ viable financially to have this sort of arrangement, but its a slight variation on the theme.

(Harry, I've PM'd you rather than continue debating such issues in open forum)

Originally Posted By: Alan W (GNFC)
This should have been a thread about the fanzine - a resurrected publication, for which I applaud all concerned.

Its great that people such as Harry, JC, etc, have made the effort to provide this magazine, as well as actively promoting & selling it - anything that can raise the profile of the club is to be welcomed.

Could we agree a deal to sell a few with WH Smiths or even a couple of local newsagents in Gravesend? I recall some years ago that we also had arrangements to sell matchday programmes in Halls (used to be a newsagent in the Anglesea Centre for those too young to remember)

I realise this sort of idea has been mentioned on here elsewhere & it may not be practical/ viable financially to have this sort of arrangement, but its a slight variation on the theme.

(Harry, I've PM'd you rather than continue debating such issues in open forum)

The avenue is being looked at.

Also what’s the problem with threads going "off topic"? Discussion is good. If a good idea comes from a thread that goes off topic does it then become a bad idea? Of course not. This thread has been one of the better on the forum and displays that we can discuss things together and amicably. No insults were traded I got to air some opinions and others got to respond. We have to get over the fact that people are going to have differing opinions to ours, that’s how good ideas are made.

If I said wouldn't it be a good idea if we started selling Gravesend and Northfleet kites and someone else responded with that would be a bad idea that person isn't having a go at me, their just saying the idea is bad and unproductive. The sooner people get their heads round this the better.

I appreciate that it is up to Kevin to decide whether or not he wants to take the money that the club offer him but others must understand that if I disagree with that then I'll say so and it is my right to do so.

As a season ticket holder and Trust Member and therefore club shareholder, the Trust holds shares in the Club which then makes me, a Trust Member, a Shareholder in the club, I'll voice my opinions how I like.

Neither the Trust or the Club have anything to do with this forum, other than some of the members using it, so that has nothing to do with anything really, and whilst you can voice your opinion on here , you still need to stick to the forum rules. All the time that happens, it's all good.

As for staying on topic, that is the general idea, but it's only natural that things veer off every now and again. The only thing that bothers me is there seems to be two or three threads on here lately that have just degenerated into a personal slanging match between you and somebody else over stuff that would probably be best said in private messages. I'm not saying that you started all these, but it does always seem to be you involved in them. that may be something to think about.