Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Fanzine

jc

We hope to have another issue of the fanzine on sale before the end of the season. If anyone wishes to submit articles, just give Harry or me the details via a PM.

Articles for consideration for the next issue would have to be submitted by March 20th, to allow us to have the fanzine on sale at the beginning of April. Apologies for the short notice - if you want to write something but can't meet this deadline, you can always do something for the following issue, which would hopefully be out at the beginning of next season. Bear in mind, though, that the fact the fanzine would only be out a few times each year means that articles shouldn't be too time-specific (e.g. not about a particular match that everyone will have forgotten about by the time the article is in print).

There's still some copies of the current issue in the club shop if anyone's interested.

Could a mod make this thread a sticky please - it would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Well shot me for showing some enterprise and trying to sell the remaining few Fanzines.

The "buy another one and sell it on eBay" was meant to be a joke, thanks for telling me that you don't get it. I can now add you to my ever growing list of club employees that wouldn't know humour if it jumped up and smacked them in the face.

Before today we had about 40 fanzines left to sell, through going round the ground we managed to sell about 22 of them, that’s over half. Had we left them in the shop to rot then we would have sold any. I wonder how many programmes you'd sell if you went round the ground once you've sold the programmes to the 30 away fans or at half time. Last season I was asked by a club director if I could sell programmes in a similar fashion. I said that I couldn't as I am doing golden goals, plus if I worked for the club in this way I'd have to give up my season ticket and gain entry to the ground for free as I'd be a club employee. Despite also working before the game all Trust board members pay to get into the ground, unlike the "volunteers".

Harry - everyone knows you have the good of the club at heart and how you dedicate your time to promoting it & putting effort into earning income.

Its ok to point this out occasionally, but dont labour the point so much & use it as an opportunity to have "a pop" at other inividuals.

Many of your ideas are good but dont make yourself out to be such a martyr. It's great that you made a real effort to sell those fanzines yeterday & that you sold so many - its obvious you have the "gift of the gab" & the ability to sell snow to the eskimos - many of us just dont have that ability to do that & its a skill worth having if (like most things) used suitably.

I know I dont do anything extra for the club - circumstances at home dont allow it at the moment - but if I could help in some way, I would (and no doubt others on here would say similar things.

Kev does his bit at the ground (whether paid or not) by giving his time to sell programmes - its just as valuable to the club as your time, & as anyone elses, I suspect. I do think, however, that the thought of walking round the ground trying to sell programmes would at least be worth a try to see if , at all, it bossts sales.

Like I say, Harry - people do appreciate your intentions - its just that too often, you seem to push those good intentions alongside criticisms of others, which isnt necessary.

As you sold so many fanzines by making the punters aware of the product, it may show that having a little stall just as you come in through the gates,stocked with club items for sale,possibly would do better than the club shop, due to people being able to see the goods that are for sale and not having to go looking for them,so would be more tempting to the average fan rather than as stated left to "rot in the club shop"

Originally Posted By: DA11
I can see what this threads going to turn into here.

Sorry, I just think if that they "Love the club" as much as they say they do and are "Gravesend 'til they die" then thy would do it for free and pay for the priviledge of doing it.

I'm not saying I'm a better fan then anyone that just turns up and heads straight to the bar, everybody does what they can.

Originally Posted By: BustaGut
As you sold so many fanzines by making the punters aware of the product, it may show that having a little stall just as you come in through the gates,stocked with club items for sale,possibly would do better than the club shop, due to people being able to see the goods that are for sale and not having to go looking for them,so would be more tempting to the average fan rather than as stated left to "rot in the club shop"

Are you offering your services there? We simply don't have the levels of staffing to try out this route. Good idea though.

Originally Posted By: Harry J Allstars

Sorry, I just think if that they "Love the club" as much as they say they do and are "Gravesend 'til they die" then thy would do it for free and pay for the priviledge of doing it.

I can see who this is aimed at, but the club is short of people doing programmes, turnstyles, stewarding etc. so the club would pay each person £10 as a thanks for what we do.

I could always turn around and say that I'm not going to sell programmes for the club anymore, which means the club will be even more understaffed, which does mean the club keeps the extra £10, but may lose even more on the number of programmes they don't sell. Plus, that £10 they give me, for what I do for the club, goes as extra money to go to the away games to support Gravesend. The club does want to see as many of us at the away games.

Agree with Kev on this, wanting people to work at the Fleet for free because they're such good fans is good on paper but this is the real world, Fleet doesn't exactly have a big fan base in relation to many other Conference teams and by taking out the cash incentive half the people that work there would stop, and the club is already stretched when it comes to turnstiles and the like. I'd say that now Kenny is on his own, the fact that people will rather not wait in the programme queue since its twice as long would probably cost the club more than that persons £10 for the day. And generally that money goes back into supporting the club anyway like Kev said I know it's helped me out when going to away matches.

As you said we don't have the staff, so why then say that we shouldn't be giving the cash incentive to the ones we have right now.

I'm not criticising the club for offering to pay, it's the people who take the money that I question. What if we were in administartion and were a "crisis club" would you still say Kevin should take the clubs money? Money that they could well need. So Kevin how hard up would the club have to be before you said you would do it for free?

Kevin would save a lot more money on away travel if he went on the Mini bus to Kidderminster instead of going by train.

Originally Posted By: DA11
I can see what this threads going to turn into here.

I'm not saying I'm a better fan then anyone that just turns up and heads straight to the bar, everybody does what they can.

Harry, you may have taken my comment the wrong way. It wasn't meant to be a pop at you.

I'm not criticising the club for offering to pay, it's the people who take the money that I question. What if we were in administartion and were a "crisis club" would you still say Kevin should take the clubs money? Money that they could well need. So Kevin how hard up would the club have to be before you said you would do it for free?

Kevin would save a lot more money on away travel if he went on the Mini bus to Kidderminster instead of going by train.

If the club was in administration I doubt they'd be offering payment and probably everyone would do their bit to try and keep the club afloat, last time I checked the club wasn't in administration. I think Kevin would agree that he'd do the job for free if we were that hard up, but we're not.

I see this is beig pointed at me as an individual... Here are the answers to your questions, Jarvis:

If the worst come to the worst, of course I would do it for nothing, in fact they would probably have to say to us that we would have to do it for nothing.

I may well have saved money going by minibus, or even by car, but going by train, you can do whatever you like and whenever you like. That away game on the train was a one off, I always do one long away game on the train each season, just like you did this year going to Exeter City. You cannot really critise people for not travelling on the minibus, we are allowed to travel to the games however we like, it depends how you enjoy travelling the most. No disrepect to the Trust who organise the minibus or to the one who drives the minibus, but if you had a choice to travel to a long away game with your mates by car or by train, or travel on your own by minibus, what would you rather go for?

CAN WE END THIS ARGUMENT, I DO NOT REALLY WANT TO ARGUE WITH YOU JARVIS, THERE'S NO POINT, BECAUSE WE'LL JUST KEEP GOING ROUND IN CIRCLES. IT'S WHAT ALWAYS HAPPENS.