Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Greg Bettles

I think you will find that all of the directors are fans first DA11 otherwise why do it?

To be fair to the club they have tried quite a few things to promote the club from ladies days to kids for a quid and from entertaining local schools to free tickets and Friday night games, they have even tried fielding a team of full-time professionals capable of challenging for a play-off place but sadly if people can't be arsed to go you can't force them.

Harry you are right about Bluewater. I think that is a bad idea. As a comparison how long did the West Ham shop stay open for? However, their shop in Lakeside does a roaring trade. The right catchment area. I suggested a long time ago about having a concession inside maybe JJB sports. A few shirts, scarves and hats to start with. You wouldn't have to pay staff they just put a supplement of maybe £4 per shirt ( a small amount if it is being purchased for a present and the person buying doesn't go to the Fleet) plus they get an affiliation with their local club. They can even put a poster by the escalators. The worst that can happen is that it increases our profile. Most of the sales ideas are promoted within the program so effectively preaching to the converted and there is only so much money the loyal fleet fan can spend. We could run discount vouchers or competitions in the KM. Both would benefit. The KM from increased sales and the Fleet from raised profile and sales. A&Z sports in Perry Street used to be a great outlet for Fleet stuff. But what has happen there?? Although passing trade isn't ideal in Perry street is was an outlet. This isn't rocket science.

Originally Posted By: DA11
My only concern is that ideas have been bounded around this forum for some time now and in most cases if you scroll back most of our ideas have been said time and time again. What makes now so different. I think Rowly Edwards is key to this as being a director and long term fan he should be able to see things from our perspective.

Quite agree. The trouble is, as I pointed out in my earlier posting, is that we seem unable to point out what our problems are. Until we see these for what they are we won't get far.

Gary, I know I've already said it, but I don't think the stand idea is going to work. If the board did take the idea on and it worked I'd be the first to look back through previous posts and quote when you originally said it and congratulate you.

Now this is going to touch a nerve.

So like I've said above the main reason we don't get decent crowds is because we don't seem an attractive option to most people.

Now as most of you will know I travel around the country to watch the team, as I know many of you have done. Now it becomes clear to me that that many people don't like to, or can't, travel. Now I can already feel the tension as I write but I'm just stating a fact, we had 50 at Kiddy on Saturday.

Now for whatever reason most of our fans don't travel away, be it can't or won't. Yet when we went to Villa in the FA Cup we took 6,000 up there. What if we hadn't got that far in the Cup? and just fulfilled or normal fixtures for the day? I for one wouldn't have gone I can tell you that as I didn't consider them an attractive option.

Now next season on FA Cup round three day we could go to Manchester United if we do we'll take 12,000 there just like everybody else, yet if we fulfill our normal league fixture we'll take 50 provided it's somewhere north of Birmingham.

So for whatever the the reason for most of our fans not making the trip to Morecambe it is probably the same reason for most of the people of the township of Gravesend not to turn up for the home game v Morecambe.

I feel that I have to reiterate that what I have posted are facts, I'm not criticising anyone for not going to away games. As I simply don't know the reason but even if they're can't be bothered than it's still their decision.

Your idea of getting JJB on board is a good one but fear it would get in the way of their national promotions. Millions more to be made out of Umbro etc etc..

Originally Posted By: DA11
We could run discount vouchers or competitions in the KM. Both would benefit. The KM from increased sales and the Fleet from raised profile and sales.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the KM tie up earlier this season supposed to have brought forward advertising and promotional initiatives? I must admit to not buying the Gravesend Extra and I haven't seen too much evidence of GNFC promotional stuff in the Gravesend Extra or perhaps I missed it.

JJB like most high street stores would have both a national and a local campaign. The same as they would have a budget for both. They need to promote themselves as a national outlet but with a local interest as that is what attracts the customer. I know they were a sponsor but Allsports carried stock of Charlton shirts in the Gravesend branch. What would be in it for JJB? Advertising in the programme, increased profile to a local audience, add on sales, special promotions. I honestly believe this would be a win win scenario.

Originally Posted By: hopeful
CHRIST. 6000 people went to villa park for a good day out, going to southport etc is not. 200+ went to oxford because it was probably the best away fixture of the season. simple.

Err, exactly!

Can I just say how disappointed I am that with the thread title being named after the famous Greg! that this post, I think, contains the first exclamation mark.

I dont believe that a club stall based in Bluewater would substain enough to pay the rent let alone make a profit !

It is also based in Dartford as most may have noticed.

(or Greenhithe if you want to be pedantic) I would suggest most shoppers especially at the weekend are not local so would not give a monkees, better off in gravesend town centre in the rain and snow !!trying to get locals to attend.

Everyone is talking about what the club should or shouldn't do in fact the easiest and cheapest way to raise the clubs profile in the area is for the 1,000 fans we currently have to show the colours, if everyone was to wear the club shirt, hat, scarf, raincoat or whatever on in Gravesend on Saturdays people would notice and want to know what the fuss is about.

Also, the easiest way to double the attendance is for everyone who currently goes to bring a friend, doesn't cost the club any money, doesn't depend on reaching the right audience, doesn't involve any risk to the club at all just requires a bit of commitment from each of us to drag someone along whether they want to go or not.....after all its for their own good.

I have the personal opinion that the club dont actually want a big increase. Well certain people inside it dont.

The latest fiasco with the weymouth tickets seems to me like it was dreamt up just to get a task ticked. Why no data capture of who used those tickets, do they regulalrly attend , are they visiting for first time in x number of months/years.

I travel on the rail network extensively as part of my job and if not on a train , im in the van listening to the radio. I do not see Gravesend advertised in local papers , train stations or on the radio. Radio kent have some regular updates about kent football , but I just dont hear fleet mentioned as much as they should . Maidstone get lots of mentions. Of course Gills do and being the top kent team in terms of attandance and profile I would expect that. There is even regular items on Margate and Folkestone. Now , my question is , do these clubs have a press officer who is pushing for coverage week in week out or not. If they do , do we have an equivalent.

It just seems that at times , things can be tinpot .

I would start with the website. In this modern age , this is the point of contact with the public.

Every website for an event centre, stadium , theatre should have a button on its home page which the user can click and see whats coming up. Ours is hidden behind Matchday and then Fixtures and Results. I appreciate that the administration of the website might not be this straight forward , after all , I have had big problems sorting the trust site , but the bottom line is , the site doesnt work for those who just want to see whats coming up.

Secondly , we need to do a big leaflet drop into the hands of people between 9am and 1pm on matchday , maybe with a £2 off deal , but for goodness sake , capture data on these people.

Its ok everyone saying "wow , we got 1600 for the game verses xxxxxx" but what we should be saying is "We got 1600 for the game verses xxxxxx , and 400 were visting the fleet for the first time and 200 are visiting for first time this year"

Data is paramount in any operation . Know your customers fleet , then you can try and see where to target for new fans.

Agree about website BUT scratch the surface and there are stats and details that put many larger clubs to shame and was obviously carefuly researched and presented.

Trouble is you hav to knoe that they are there and search for them. Presentation and timeliness lets it down as there is nothing to grab you, first look at the home page and it looks out of date.

Originally Posted By: Riverview Supporter
I have the personal opinion that the club dont actually want a big increase. Well certain people inside it dont.

Is that based on any evidence? It just seems a big accusation to throw into the mixer when it's only a personal opinion based on... what? What agenda would a club official have to not want any more fans through the turnstiles?

Originally Posted By: Stu M

Is that based on any evidence? It just seems a big accusation to throw into the mixer when it's only a personal opinion based on... what? What agenda would a club official have to not want any more fans through the turnstiles?

It is a personal opinnion drawn from many conversations with people both working in the club , press releases and general lack of professionalism in certain cases. It is not an accusation but an opinion as stated . Sometimes the club do excel , like when the Morecombe game was bought forward and the hard work undertaken to inform as many as possible

Originally Posted By: fleeting glance
Agree about website BUT scratch the surface and there are stats and details that put many larger clubs to shame and was obviously carefuly researched and presented.
Trouble is you hav to knoe that they are there and search for them. Presentation and timeliness lets it down as there is nothing to grab you, first look at the home page and it looks out of date.

Agree it has good depth of info , but as you say , the homepage is out of date

Originally Posted By: BustaGut
I dont believe that a club stall based in Bluewater would substain enough to pay the rent let alone make a profit !
It is also based in Dartford as most may have noticed.
(or Greenhithe if you want to be pedantic) I would suggest most shoppers especially at the weekend are not local so would not give a monkees, better off in gravesend town centre in the rain and snow !!trying to get locals to attend.

I remember when I was in Dartford last year, Dartford FC did a small stall in the Orchard shopping centre, wouldn't hurt for Gravesend & Northfleet to do this in Gravesend town centre.

The latest fiasco with the weymouth tickets seems to me like it was dreamt up just to get a task ticked. Why no data capture of who used those tickets, do they regulalrly attend , are they visiting for first time in x number of months/years.

I can not agree or disagree with this this comment. But Riverview you have a point. We employ and pay a wage to a sales and marketing manager. Data capture is the most basic of marketing exercises. It's the only way to show that all the hard work has paid off. I have been involved in S & M for over 20 years and this is Janet and John stuff. This has been an issue for a very long time now. I agree with Slarti. Wear your colours around town. I'm proud to wear my shirt and coat around town on a Saturday. Tomorrow would have been a great opportunity to go into town to do some promotional work with no game on.