Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

George Purcell

Whats happened to Purcell? He played one game where e perfrmed brillantly, and then had a slightly less impressive second game, but hasnt been seen since - If hes still around, lets give him a chance on the wing on Thursday, rather than Ledgister or Keeling (or at least start Keeling with Purcell on the bench)

Which 18 year old keeper, desparate to become a regular first teamer with a professional club is going a) to improve his ability by sitting on the bench for 40 odd games a year, B) would rather be playing as a regular at a lower level to gain much needed experience?

It will be interesting to see whether young Mott, and a few of our other peripheral youngsters sign on again during the summer.

Originally Posted By: Chatham Gary
Not a chance, Alan. There are certain players in the team who are absolutely GUARANTEED a starting spot.
Purcell, Mott, Coleman and Varney must be getting very p****d off at the moment.

What's the answer to keep everyone happy then Jose ?

a) pay them Chelski wages ( which we can't !) so then they don't mind not playing as long as they get their £30k+ a week.

B) play a rotation system...a la Ranieri....a la Fleetway Printers

c) play 15 a side ......

d) or is this another anti Quinn ( cheap jibe ) comment ?

Answers on a postcard please......

However, I do think reserve team football should be re instated !

Cheers,

The answer to keeping the team happy is to let them know that NO ONE is the team is spared from dropping/resting if they lose form, so that eEVERY player in the squad has a chance to prove himself.

This clearly isn't happening at the moment - one or 2 players have been a bit off the pace of late - yet still start.

Mott came on as sub when Cronin was injured, did a decent job, then promptly got dropped for McShane. What message does that tell Motty?

Secondly it was a mistake to drop the reserve side - even if they play in the Kent league, it keeps those not in the 1st team squad fresh and match fit.

I listened to a really good (for a change) interview on Talksport during the week, with Dario Gradi.

When asked "What makes a good manager?" he replied,

"One who spots things that are going wrong on the pitch and rectifies it 10 minutes before the crowd are aware of the problem."

This is from a respected veteren league manager, and makes good sense.

In our case it's often the crowd wot spots the problem 30 minutes before the manager, who tries to solve the problem in the 87th minute.

This isn't an anti LD post, as overall he has done a good job, and is right up at the top in Fleet history with spotting and signing good young players.

I just feel that sometimes his tactics, selection and substitutions are cast in stone during the week and are inflexible, almost playing to a script.

We are rarely surprised by team selection - nor are surprised when Moore or Sodje come on for the last 5 minutes.

I just wish Liam would show a bit more flair and imagination.

Joe is a product of the ex Wimbledon/now MK Dons Academy. He is the friend of the brother of someone I work with and is highly regarded. Her brother has however done somewhat better for himself as a first job after emerging from the Academy - a 2 year professional contract with Reading!

Blue Circle?

In our case it's often the crowd wot spots the problem 30 minutes before the manager, who tries to solve the problem in the 87th minute.

This isn't an anti LD post, as overall he has done a good job, and is right up at the top in Fleet history with spotting and signing good young players.

I just feel that sometimes his tactics, selection and substitutions are cast in stone during the week and are inflexible, almost playing to a script.

We are rarely surprised by team selection - nor are surprised when Moore or Sodje come on for the last 5 minutes.

This can still be the case from time to time, but it's only fair to point out that Daish has improved in this department this season, with an increased frequency of games in which substitutions are made fairly early when things aren't going well (e.g. on Saturday (although it didn't work, at least an attempt was made), and, perhaps the best example, the double substitution at half-time against Exeter at home, which played a major role in our comeback from 2-0 down to draw 2-2).

Varney????????

So you are saying that Charlie MacDonald deserves to be dropped?? And also two players that are in form? (Sodje, Eribenne). I cannot agree with accusing players being 'undroppable' when overall only a few of them have had 2/3 bad games in a row. And the ones who have have been dropped!!

Originally Posted By: Bloodnock
What about Joe Howe or has he dissappeared as well,you could now give these guys their head and see what they are like, nothing to lose.

No doubt he is serving his apprenticeship for another Conference/Blue Circle club to snap up on a freebie in the summer.

Yes because that happens all the time doesn't it?

I can see Joe joining that long list of youngsters who have learned their trade at the Fleet and gone on to bigger things at another Conference club like uummm uuummm uuummmm ooh Liam Hatch...oh no we got paid for him. No you have got me stumped C.G. who are the players that have done that in the past and why do you think it will happen with Joe?

Originally Posted By: jc

This can still be the case from time to time, but it's only fair to point out that Daish has improved in this department this season, with an increased frequency of games in which substitutions are made fairly early when things aren't going well (e.g. on Saturday (although it didn't work, at least an attempt was made), and, perhaps the best example, the double substitution at half-time against Exeter at home, which played a major role in our comeback from 2-0 down to draw 2-2).

Further to this, there have also been games this season when people have been calling for substitions and we have scored before Daish instigated them (Havant away springs to mind).

Giving selective examples doesn't deflect from the fact that far too often this season substitutions have been been made too late in the game to make an impact or rescue a dying cause.

I accept things have improved of laye - suggesting that LD is getting more decisive and is learning by his mistakes.