Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

It's Ebbsfleet United FC

On another note..I am a bit dazed and confused at the moment. Having spent the last 36 years supporting GNFC it feels a little weird. At least my wife thought it was funny??? Whatever happens for the best of the club they will always have my support.

Jason also said that Liam had been working hard over the last 2 days signing up players for next season & when asked if Liam would still be manager next season, responded with "I hope so - I am speaking to him later this week, but as he's signing up players, you can draw your own conclusions".

One youngster asked if Charlie was signing for Gillingham & Jason told him to ask Charlie, but he was still a Fleet player at the moment under contract to the end of the month!

On the new ground front, Brian said they have identified a site near to the present ground, had plans drawn up, and that they were trying to get a partner for the project. He anticipated 3 years best scenario and 6 years worst case scenario. They intend to take the opportunity of the name change to smarten up the front of the ground (& to do some work on the loos!). Brian said they were aiming to own the ground outright, or to have security of tenure with a 150 year lease, rent free (financed by other aspects of the proposed complex).

Shirt colours are to remain unchanged.

Sponsorship announcement due on 5 June, although Jason wouldnt commit himself as to how far advanced the deal was. He did confirm it was a deal proposed for longer than a year, however.

With regards name change, we already have Kent FA, Conference and (from earlier today) FA Approval.

Think that covers everything that was discussed - thanks were also given to Austrian Airlines during the evening, but nothing else developed.

I wished I'd have gone now. I honestly thought the club wouldn't be stupid enough to go down this road. Now will someone tell us why they think we wanna support a team named after an unfinished railway station? Because that's all ebbsfleet is.

I support GNFC because they're my home town and I felt an allegiance to them, being my home town. Ebbsfleet is NOT my home town thankyou very much.

I'm interested to know, did the board actually consult the fans at all about the name change tonight? And were people opposed or for?

I'm very firmly against. Makes us no worse than franchise fc mk dons in my eyes. We're a football team not a marketing brand ffs!

Originally Posted By: Robbo
Makes us no worse than franchise fc mk dons in my eyes.

Have we moved the club to another geographical location entirely, then...? Somewhere the existing fans cannot continue their support of the club? No, so it's very much different to MK Dons.

I don't think any of us like the name change necessarily, but why it should diminish our support for a club that is fundamentally the club we've always supported, I don't know. Times change... times changed in 1946, necessatating Gravesend and Northfleet merging.. Can you imagine the outcry if we merged with Dartford today...?

Anyone who claims they can no longer support the club simply because of a name change needs to come up with a damned good reason in my opinion.

AS has been said elsewhere, the fans are the soul of the club - the name is irrelevant - its still going to be the same set of players, and the same ground - fans arent based soully in Gravesend or Northfleet these days - many, like myself, live in the Medway Towns, or in places such as New Ash Green, Meopham or Longfield to name but a few. They are the team I support & the teams name is certainly not the be all and end all.

If you seriously drop the club just because of a name change, you cant be a very committed supporter in my book.

And going forward, the area known as Ebbsfleet will be an important area and by committing the name to Ebbsfleet United now, we hopefully secure additional commitment & support from those developing the area as a whole. THis was the basic idea of the argument raised.

Also - how often did the press ever refer to us as Gravesend & Northfleet - generally it was just Gravesend - Ebbsfleet United will make it easier in that respect.

In fairness to robbo there is no right or wrong. It is personal. Whilst I am all for positive change I am still not sure what I personally feel. Two questions though. Will the name change actually encourage more support. Once the housing developments are complete will these new residents become fleet fans or will they still support the clubs they have grown with. How many new developments and residents have sprung up around Gravesham over the past 20 years that have had no benefit to the Fleet. Secondly, with the obsession to attract new supporters was any thought given to it's current loyal fan base and their feelings on a name change. This really is an exciting chapter in our history and one that I pray will benefit the club in the long term.

Originally Posted By: DA11
In fairness to robbo there is no right or wrong.

Indeed, I think anyone's entitled to hate the name if they feel strongly enough... but I just find it strange that on that one issue, you could drop the club you support.

Never a good idea, changing the name. Just look what happened to Margate when we became 'Thanet United' (United with no-one!)...... Anyways, best of luck to whatever you want to be called FC!!!

Originally Posted By: Robbo
I wished I'd have gone now. I honestly thought the club wouldn't be stupid enough to go down this road. Now will someone tell us why they think we wanna support a team named after an unfinished railway station? Because that's all ebbsfleet is.

I support GNFC because they're my home town and I felt an allegiance to them, being my home town. Ebbsfleet is NOT my home town thankyou very much.

I'm interested to know, did the board actually consult the fans at all about the name change tonight? And were people opposed or for?

I'm very firmly against. Makes us no worse than franchise fc mk dons in my eyes. We're a football team not a marketing brand ffs!

Believe me Matt, if you was there tonight, you would have heard why the name has been changed. I was utterly shocked when I heard about this tonight, but reasons were given and I'm all for it, the ground will still be located in Gravesham and not far from Stonebridge Road.

EBBSFLEET UNITED!!!!! Up the Fleet!