Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

It's Ebbsfleet United FC

Like most, I have major reservations, mainly through the prejudice of having supported GNFC for over 42 years.

But when I am asked who I support, I invariably answer, "The Fleet".

To that end nothing has changed.

Change for changes sake is not a good idea - this however could be if we can tap into the huge market on our doorstep.

With the onset of a new sponsorship deal - the new build in 3 or so years together with the 9000+ new houses, we simply HAVE to recruit a talented marketing team to raise the profile of the club.

Mostly it will be done by the players on the pitch, but they cannot do it by themselves.

I'm with you on that one Stu, I'm one of the old farts that some posters dislike, I have supported GNFC since 1948 and have no problems with a name change that will stop me from supporting my beloved Fleet. FOLLOW THE FLEET regardless of name change.

It is sad to lose the name Gravesend & Northfleet, it has gone through my mind, but in my opinion, the name change is a major step forward for when we get to the Football League. I believe Ebbsfleet United will very soon become a famous name.

Liam signs on, commits himself to the club, extra signings of players, new football ground, new sponsors (no more one year deal nonsense), new website, new supports, but the nickname will always stay with us: THE FLEET!

To my mind, as I said tonight, the main thing to get extra support will be the ground rather than the clubs name. That said, it is now essential we get the change of name across to the public of Gravesend, Northfleet, and all surrounding areas and emphasize its still the same club & one that belongs to them just as much as it ever did under the name of Gravesend & Northfleet FC.

Will the reasons mentioned in the meeting be published on the main website? When I told my dad he just said "Why?" I wish I had gone too, but due to a dentist appointment I did not get home from work till 19:30 frown

In addition what will happen to all stock of the mugs, hats, t-shirts, etc... in the club shop which all have the wrong name on them now?

Seems a bit of a risk in my opinion to pin all our hopes on ebbsfleets growth. Who's to say how the areas development is really gonna go? And if the ebbsfleet does grow I can't see it being bigger than gravesend for another 15 years at the least.

Wouldn't have minded the name change if ebbsfleet was bigger than gravesend BUT ITS NOT.

We're now losing the one selling point we had on the folks of gravesend and northfleet, we being there home town team. Can nobody else see that by becoming ebbsfleet we are no longer that. There's a lot more in a name than a lot of people on here seem to realize.

I'm very disturbed by the clubs decision to rename the club, but I think I'm more disturbed by the reaction of my fellow fans, that seem willing to change our clubs identity just like that. Do you lot have no attachment to the club or something? I mean I've only supported the club for about 5 years, but some of you have supported for plus 40 and don't seem at all bothered.

I think its a case of should the heart rule the head? WE all cling on to the old & known things in life - & many of us are wary of all things new, some of which turn into multi million pound ideas, and some of which crumble and die within a few months.

I hope, & believe, ours will be one of the former group - lets face it, we havent got much to lose by trying, given that we've got a low average crowd as things stand, and can surely only improve this going forward - given that we seem to have tried most other things, including a team performing well on the pitch, without much success, the name change may, daft as it seems, be the catalyst to something positive.

At the end of the day people, I'm just unhappy about losing the 'Gravesend' and 'Northfleet' from our name. It's where I come from and even though it's a shithole I love the town. It's my real link to the club, I've never got people who adopt new clubs from different areas. I'll still come to the 'Fleet' but only because my mates are there.

I still am and always will be 'gravesend till I die'. You won't ever get me singing I'm 'Ebbsfleet till I die'.

Some people didnt like the name GRAVESEND so they changed it to Gravesham,then up popped a railway station called Ebbsfleet this station will be a household name soon and possibly all over europe.Now how long will it take for gravesend to vanish and all of you to be in the borough of EBBSFLEET.

I couldn't get to the meeting tonight, other commitments. My initial reaction is I'm not sure. I'm from Gravesend, always will be even if I live in Northfleet.

But like a lot of things you get used to them after time.

It would be good if those that couldn't attend could hear/read the reasons behind the change.