Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

It's Ebbsfleet United FC

If the name change is indeed a pre-condition of the new sponsorship deal, then personally, I would feel very uncomfortable with this. The fact there was no consultation what so ever with the fans disturbs me, but does suggest the new sponsors 'may' have said to the Directors 'if you want our money you change your name'.

If the money involved helps us survive until the new ground is built (when income will rise just like Dartford's), then as much as I don't like the new name, I guess it is a case of 'needs must'.

I just wish we had been consulted. I also understand that we are to have yet another new style kit. How many is that now in the last five years I wonder ?

Jason said last night that the name change was unconnected with any new sponsership deal.

It's worth remembering that this change was first aired about 2 years ago, when we were in the middle of a longish deal with GLS

Originally Posted By: Chatham Gary
Perhaps as a gesture of goodwill , the club could subsidise the new shirts (with new sponsor) to anyone with an Austrian shirt.

Aren't Jako shirts from Germany rather than Austria

Originally Posted By: Chatham Gary
Perhaps as a gesture of goodwill , the club could subsidise the new shirts (with new sponsor) to anyone with an Austrian shirt.

I have an old Hawaiian shirt....can I trade that in ?

Oops.....nurse is coming back !! talk again in a couple of weeks !!

Cheers...

This is the first opportunity I've had to comment on the name change. And although I'm not that surprised, it is a little odd to finally see it in black and white. I've spent most of this afternoon reading through the messages left on the board, and it's no surprise either, to find that feelings are split. It's going to take some getting use to, as Ebbsfleet Utd doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

I wasn't at the meeting, but I have read the through the Boards explaination for the change and it does make sense. Ebbsfleet will have a higher profile than Gravesend ever had. Better business opportunities for sponsorship and better recognition nationally. An increasing fanbase. Yes, people do carry their loyalties with them. However, if this was always true I'd be watching QPR every week, since I'm originally from West London. With the locality of football on your doorstep, it will draw people in. Additionally, some of this new housing will be starter homes, specifically for couples and young families. The adults may already follow a club, but their children may not. Children don't always follow the same club as their parents. Of the supposed 9000 new homes, some of these residents must become 'Fleet' supporters by the law of averages, the fanbase will increase.

Whatever the future holds, Jason Botley' name will always be associated with the club as the man who helped make it what it is. We have three potential routes. To fade away into obscurity, but a name change should have no effect on that. To keep floating along as a Conference club, never really achieving anything, just like Woking. Or using the potential resources at our disposal to become a bigger, better and ultimately League club. The proof is going to be in how the Board direct us, how Liam as manager uses his squad and how well the team perform on the pitch. I am a little sad that the name Gravesend and Northfleet has gone, it will be missed and I may shed a tear or two, but I look forward to the future with anticipation.

UNITED, UNITED, UNITED

hello all, just thought i'd put my opinion across, not that it matters just thought i'd comment on the topic. Being born and bred in northfleet, i consider myself a northfleet boy through and through and am gutted to lose the 'northfleet'name. I have always considered ebbsfleet as dartford territory and now am a bit peeved that we got a name that to me represents our 'not as good as us nextdoor neighbours' (dartford not medway). maybe this could be the change that the club need to bring in more intrest etc,who knows, thats for everyone to find out. the majority of the town don't know we exist anyway, the only time they see us is on sky sports soccer saturday if we score and our name flashes across the bottom of the tv screen, whilst they are looking out for their premiership club result,thats all i have to say,anyway i'll still be on the terraces next season. see you all then

Whilst agreeing with many of the above comments and certainly agreeing that everyone is entitled to their own opinion I find that I actually don't have a choice in the matter, I have supported the club for 36 years and will go on supporting them whatever the future brings.

Personally I would have preferred to remain as GNFC but if the club is to be called Ebbsfleet United then that is who I will support.

It will be interesting to hear the details of the new sponsorship deal in June although I hope and believe that the name change is not connected to the deal. As we all know sponsors are transitory and if we went that route we could be changing name as well as shirts every season.

I hope that the name change will facilitate the new stadium (stadiums last so much longer than sponsors) but if it doesn't then I wonder what benefits the new name will bring.

One thing that someone earlier on posted that I do not agree with at all is the accusation that the board are 'a bunch of chancers' or words to that effect, there is no doubt at all in my mind that the current board is the best we have had in the time I have supported the club and also that every action they have taken, whether I agree with it or not, has been taken with the best interests of the club in mind.

I will support the club whatever the name so actually the piece of news that I was most interested in from last night was the bit about 'Liam has spent the last couple of days signing up the players he wants to keep for next season', whoever they are I'll be cheering them on.

Although I'm quite sad having slept on it I find it's quite exciting. At 39 I never thought I would be shouting the name of a new club. I have the opportunity of supporting a club named 'United'. It's a bit like your wife leaving you and going out on the shag again. You just don't know whats its going to feel like.

Come on you Reds

After a lot of thought i cannot give my backing to the name change.

Therefore i am starting up my own team, imaginatively called 'gravesend and Northfleet fc 2007'

we will start in the ryman league division 4 south east north.

Open trials at 10.00am this sunday in woodlands park

Madge has said she will get her oranges out.