Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FAO Football Man

Just read the "Bungs" thread over there. clip Rods at his idiotic best! Even funnier given that I know the person who started that thread and that he started it as a wind up!

I noticed that clip Rods had the cheek to say that this forum had become boring without him, yet he is posting about the different ways that people pronounce Swindon (apparently, some people in RhodesWorld pronounce it Swindun!!!).

I must read more later. Hilarious stuff!

Football Man - I thought you might like to see the link my friend Dobbo kindly e-mailed me following his trip to Israel to watch Spurs in the UEFA Cup, enjoy:

-----Original Message-----

To: Rhodes

Sent: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 7.49am

Subject: Hapoel Tel Aviv FC

http://pieandmushypeas.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...

Football Man - One of the anoraks on anothers Forum went to Potters Bar Town on Tuesday night, just curious to know if you would have followed exactly the same procedure had you still been Secretary of the Club:

Potters bar 2 Uxbridge 0

Middx Senior cup ABANDONED 80mins

Game sadly abandoned after 80 mins. A Potters Bar player took a blow to the head that knocked him out cold. Ambulance called, player was unconscious for a long time, Mass melee on the pitch, arguments & slamming about in the changing rooms. Due to the seriousness of the injury, ref had no choice but to end the game.

Dreadful scenes to end what had been a thoroughly enjoyable match.

I just hope the Potters Bar lad is ok.

Football Man - Trust you to be awkward as it was a straight forward question. I only asked whether you would have done it differently as surely the new Secretary was consulted and ultimately had the final say as to whether there should be an abandonment or not, as you are somewhat of a forceful and opinionated bloke, as Kentish Town found to their cost, you may have tried to avoid the game being abandoned with just ten minutes left to play.

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Football Man - Trust you to be awkward as it was a straight forward question. I only asked whether you would have done it differently as surely the new Secretary was consulted and ultimately had the final say as to whether there should be an abandonment or not, as you are somewhat of a forceful and opinionated bloke, as Kentish Town found to their cost, you may have tried to avoid the game being abandoned with just ten minutes left to play.

It would have been the referee's decision (or final say, as you put it). We had a player break his leg in a match at Dorking. He was on the pitch for 45 minutes before the ambulance took him away. The referee insisted on playing out the last 15 minutes of the game, despite the pleas of both managers (it was the last day of the season, with nothing at stake). I can't recall that either secretary was even involved in the decision!

Horace - Thanks for that, I was merely asking the question of how Football Man would play the situation if, and it's a big if, he were still Secretary of Potters Bar Town. Knowing him he would probably be fairly keen to get the game over and done with particularly with just ten minutes left to play so he would do his utmost to take the Referee to one side and have an 'influential' word in his shell like.

Horace - Thanks for that, I was merely asking the question of how Football Man would play the situation if, and it's a big if, he were still Secretary of Potters Bar Town. Knowing him he would probably be fairly keen to get the game over and done with particularly with just ten minutes left to play so he would do his utmost to take the Referee to one side and have an 'influential' word in his shell like.

Anyone connected with a team winning with 10 minutes to go would probably try and suggest to the ref that he finish the game, unless the injury to the player was so traumatic as to sicken everyone. Once again you are seeking to be provocative - a strange trait for someone who claims to be "Mr Nice Guy" ?

The result at the time of this late abandonment could stand. If I were the Secretary of that club, that is what I would be pressing for.

What happened on the night and the decisions made are purely down to the individual circumstances. The managers would have been concerned about their players getting cold and stiffening up - potentially leading to more injuries if a restart after a lengthy hold up had occurred. The referee has to take that into consideration as his second priority after seeing that the injured lad had been dealt with.

The question may have been straight forward to you, but it wasn't very clear to me. However, if you need an answer that badly, the simple truth is that my reaction would have been based on a number of factors that can only be assessed at the particular moment in time, e.g. the seriousness of the injury and how it was caused, how good natured the game had been up to that point, how the players had reacted to the injury or the circumstances that caused it, what the Manager and Chairman felt about the situation, how adamant the referee was about the need to abandon the game and why (this may have been affected by how well I knew the referee and his character), how long the game had been held up on what was a fairly cold evening, how many players felt like continuing with the game, etc., etc.

Without having been there and experiencing all those factors, I cannot say for sure what I would have done or attempted to do.

Originally Posted By: Horace
Once again you are seeking to be provocative - a strange trait for someone who claims to be "Mr Nice Guy" ?

Horace - There you go again, like I said I was purely asking Football Man what he would do in that particular situation if he were still Secretary, nothing more nothing less

Originally Posted By: Horace
Once again you are seeking to be provocative - a strange trait for someone who claims to be "Mr Nice Guy" ?

Horace - There you go again, like I said I was purely asking Football Man what he would do in that particular situation if he were still Secretary, nothing more nothing less

Look up the word "disingenuous"!

Originally Posted By: Football Man
So we'll see what your "Mr. Nice Guy" reaction is to my answer then!

Football Man - Thanks for your comprehensive answer, why couldn't you have just posted that in the first place yesterday

clippy, I am now in possession of the facts regarding Tuesday evening's game and I can tell you that, had I still been Secretary of PBT, I would have ensured that the game was abandoned regardless of the referee's view. Although, it should also be said, that 99.99% of referees would have abandoned it anyway.

I have also been told that, fortunately (and I mean fortunately), the player concerned is still alive and is beginning his recovery in hospital.

I have no further comment to make on the incident on this thread, other than to congratulate the physios of both clubs, the Uxbridge Assistant Manager and Cathy, the PBT barmaid (and a trained nurse) who, between them, kept the player alive until the paramedics arrived.