Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Royston v Town

seemgee

Decent summary LS, I remain confident (hopeful?) that we will end up there or thereabouts at the end of the season. I think there's some basis for cautious optimism as we seem to be putting in more convincing performances now (a few of these against decent sides) than we were at the start of the season. It's clear that we're a long way from being the finished article, and it feels like a case of two steps forward, one step back, but if the overall trend is towards gradual improvement, then I'm pretty content.

Once again I agree,Barney, LS always seems to give a fairly balanced view.

Sorry if you felt I was putting words in to your mouth but, and not wishing to sound pedantic, in your earlier post this afternoon you did use the word "assume " twice, hence my reference in my reply. Also the choice of words used on whether or not AL was looking for new players were again based on an assumption. 

It is a fact, however, that all the opinions on this forum are based on each individuals assumptions so far as they interpret events. Even those of a personal abusive nature, although these are usually given without any knowledge of the abused.

Sorry if that all sounds terribly pompous, thought I was back in practice again.

Finally, I would like to have had a chat with AL but from several extremely reliable and respected sources, outside the club, who have knowledge of both of us, I am advised it would have serve little purpose. It seems we both have very fixed views. 

So on a brighter side, and to deter my detractors, lets hope that this week brings more added points, how ever achieved. 

My PC went again earlier that is why my post regarding my children seems all over the place. The game that we went to with 9 men was Runcorn  although with help of support staff we made it Eleven. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

It seems some people think there is a queue of top Ryman league players all queuing up to join us and that every single signing another club makes is another player Andy missed out on....that is just ridiculous.... dosn't anybody actually think he got in the best players he could in a short time and with the additions of Moore Greene and Martin he will try to improve the squad when players who want to join us become available....

A lively and forthright exchange of views (good that Father Jack stepped in when he did). The bit that caught my eye wasn't the debate over the players (quality, suitability, why X isn't starting etc.) - that's a debate that will never end. But I offer my view on the captaincy below.

A captain needs to lead the team by example and be heard on the pitch during a game (especially if we're not playing well). Mark Kirby, quite rightly, is club captain. But his injury must be worse than feared as he still hasn't recovered. Plus, once recovered, he will take time to get match fit. Once match fit and selected for the starting 11 (we can't take it for granted that he will - depends entirely on his fitness), he should be playing captain. In the interim:

1) Darren Purse clearly meets all the requirements of a playing captain but I see little sense in having somebody at the tail end of his career in that role. He leads by example just by playing.

2) Ryan Blackman is young, motivated, has been captain of several teams before and puts his point across on the pitch. If Kirby doesn't make it back to the starting 11, my view is that Ryan Blackman should be our playing captain.

Thoughts?

From what I have seen of him RB would be a good link between young and older players and has been respected enough by other club managers as their choice for captain.

Unfortunately, like Mickey Parcell, he has sat out games over the past few weeks. I'm not sure whether he is carrying an injury or whether that was manager choice.

Due to personal reasons I have only seen Adam Martin once and therefore it would be unfair for me to give an opinion. However,what I saw of him on Saturday, because of his long lay off, he appeared quite away of the pace and needs time to up his fitness levels. Then a better judgement can be made.

Overall, I still lean towards Blackman and it will be interesting to see if he starts tonight. It is very difficult to gain a team's respect if you are not on the field.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals