Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Waltham Forest 0-0 Canvey Island

Matt H

Quote:
ForestGump said:
We might only have a few but theyre very die hard! None of them actually live anywhere near the ground......or london for that matter!

A serious question for you, how will you fund ground improvements and pay for a squad to challenge for promotion on an average gate of 97?

Do you get income from the pitches outside the ground?

Nope, nothing from the outside pitches. That goes to the ground. Its a rediculous set up, the ground and the team are two different entities, but rely on each other to survive! Many chairman have tried to unite them but without any luck. Only a few of our players are being paid the moment. What we rely on is big gates like yourselves, enfield town, hornchurch etc. to keep us going a bit!

We've got houses all over the place, hardly any of them even know we exist! No matter how hard we try no one wants to come and watch us for some reason. Even the houses on the far touchline wont even throw us our balls back!

Tis the same over most of the country now matey. Loads of chimney pots but what does everyone do on a Saturday? They are not all at Premier grounds (look at the Man City v Fulham game last week..looked like a reserve crowd)..

And I feel it will get worse, what with most pubs ditching Sky (£1,000 a month for pubs and clubs) for the Arab channel..Live at 3pm so the future don't look orange...

Most people don`t want to know about football at this level, we have the same problem at Canvey.

I can`t see how you can hope to get promoted and survive until you increase your fanbase, you can`t budget a club on the amount of away fans who might turn up. We lived beyond our means for years and now we`re back to reality.

The Premier League(ship) has not been good for football in my eyes. Hardly made the England side into a World force, and I just hate it when Championship and League one sides seem to unearth some east European free-loader, on some contract that could pay off his country's national debt.

There is plenty of quality lower down aching for a chance..just look at the ex-Grays boys.

Trouble is kids are bought up on a diet of 24/7 top of the range stuff, be it in England, Europe or South America.

Mention to them about coming over Romford, Canvey or Waltham Forest then most would say: "I am not watching that sh!t".

england were crap before the premiership started.

I think that the premiership and sky have contrived to make football 100 times more expensive than it was,but thats ok because all the prawn sandwich brigade can go now,safe in the knowledge that its not a poor mans sport anymore.

But with regards to the foreigners i think that they will only in time have a positive effect on the prem.I would love to see what walcott can learn from henry,if england get half that sort of player we will have a gem.

Quote:
Ribbit said:
Sky have ruined football in this country and things are only going to get worse. The money they give Premiership clubs went up from £30m to £40m this season. It's a joke.

the money is there and has to go somewhere and i would rather it went to the clubs rather than some sky exec. the increase in money means an increase in players wages meaning better players are attracted to the league. this is obviously the plus side, the down side is what happened to the NASL. there is a constant hunt to bring in the best players and paying them obscene amounts of money which starves the club of funds and makes lower positions in the league unacceptable, people loose interest and it all goes bust.

top flight English football is on the up and has been since sky took over, it will fall back down again, everything does. but irrelevant on if you like it or not, the amount of football fans has grown and the quality of football has improved that can only be a good thing for lower leagues as they pick up the way supporters and the straggling players

One of the problems not mentioned is the 5 subs rule.

This means that clubs needs squads of up to 20 with many not getting a game. Gone are the days when clubs could manage with a squad of 16. The fact that squads are larger in the higher divisions also means that the quality of player lower down is not so high.

It is often suggested that this does not matter as the premiership etc relies on imports however we must also recognise that top english players are also exported.

I cannot see for the life of my why 5 subs are needed when only 3 can ever get to play. The only thing I can think off is that it allows the top clubs to have a goalkeeper sub but many at our level dont have goalie subs.