Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Memory tester

Can anyone remember the Cup Final we played against Aveley at Dagenham in, I think, the early 90's when we sacked our manager (Mitchell?) two days before the game and played some weird formation and lost 2-0. I remember it was in early May on a lovely sunny day and a good number of Saints fans made the journey down. Any extra info would be appreciated, particularly the team line-up - DT are you reading this?

Hmmm... this one I do remember. League Cup final, 1990 (give or take a year). In the space of... ummm... not very long, City had two cup finals against very lowly opposition - Aveley in the Legaue Cup and Hertford in the Herts Senior Cup (both of them in... ummm... Division 2 North?). I think that the manager sacked was Peter "Lasher" Lawrence (close personal friend of my dad, you know), who was replaced by Jimmy Howard. It was a very beautiful day at Dagenham, spoilt only by City playing like a useless bunch of alcoholic w**kers who'd never so much as seen a football before, let alone people who got paid (paid!) for playing. 3-0 and Christ almighty was it a long journey home on the train. Approximately... ummm... a few days later, we went to Borehamwood for a Herts Senior Cup Final against Hertford - also two divisions below us, and... we played like a bunch of pissmonkeys. 2-0, I think, and the rot was set in for the start of the following season. For further information, I'm afraid you'll have to consult someone with even less important things to store in their brains than I have. Difficult, I know, but there you go. <p>While we're on the subject... isn't it about time for a worst ever City XI poll? I think that about 8 of the players would come from the teams that played in those two matches.

Can't remember the exact team (leave that to Tavs!) but I remember some who probably played like Andy Cox, Steve Oliver (his last game for the Saints I think!), Rob Smale, Lance Pedlar, John Colfer, Matt Howard, Neil Henry and I think Paul O'Reilly was in goal! Attendance was around 1000 with not too many supporting Aveley despite the game been played on their doorstep. <p>Peter Lawrence was sacked after the Herts Senior Cup Final defeat the previous week against Paul Fairclough's Hertford Town. Jimmy Howard was then appointed Manager despite no previous managerial experience! Not one of Bernard Tominey's better decisions in hindsight!

Here are the details Rob, no credit to me, it's all Tav's work, apart from the copy and pasting bit, which pushed my computer skills to the limit.<p>

League Cup Final - 7 May 1990 at Victoria Road (Dagenham)<p>St. Albans City:<p>1 Paul O’Reilly<p>2 Laurence Ward<p>3 Matt Howard<p>4 Andy Cox<p>5 Kevin Mudd<p>6 Neil Henry<p>7 John Colfer<p>8 Gary McShane<p>9 Rob Smale<p>10 Lance Pedler<p>11 Steve Oliver<p>12 Terry Benning (Smale 43)<p>14 Jeremy Arnull (McShane 53)<p>Aveley:<p>1 Dave Annetts<p>2 Graham Daley<p>3 Liam Cutbush<p>4 Billy Stevens<p>5 Steven Porter<p>6 Gary Pettett<p>7 Paul Franklin<p>8 John Rees<p>9 Nigel Jeyes<p>10 Bobby Moyce<p>11 Alan Brett<p>12 Tony Wright<p>14 John Gilliland<p>28 1-0 Cox og<p>38 2-0 Daley<p>58 3-0 Moyce<p>Referee: Graham Poll

Mark Mallinson would win my all time worst player, Colfs, nice bloke, looked above average in the Review sunday league. im still working on my all time worst XI, im scared of missing anyone..... ohhhh so many to choose from.

Some of you may find this of interest...<p>First published on Friday 12 October 2001:

Double delight for social

Observer and Review Sunday League Premier Division<p>

LONDON ROAD SOCIAL completed the double over Chequers, winning 3-2.<p>

The opening half was goalless, but Road took a two-goal lead early after the break through Tony Caines.<p>

Chequers battled back with goals by John Colfer and Russ Twigg to level the scores, but a disputed penalty from Danny Adams edged Road ahead.<p>

Then Chequers had two players sent off and still put Road under pressure, having two goals disallowed and Gary McShane hitting Road's woodwork twice, but the equaliser just wouldn't come.<p>What was the average age on display - 46?

While looking at the team from 1990, one interesting fact is that 9 of our 13 who turned out that day were locally based players. <p>I don't think there are many City teams since then which have had as many locals in it! <p>Probably a bit harsh for John Colfer and Terry Benning to be included in the Worst XI. John did win Player of the Season one year, and in one season I think he played in every position including one game in goal (Barking away?).<p>Terry's best years were during our rise through the lower divisions when he was a permanent fixture at right back! He still turns out regularly for the Garston Veterans team with another ex City legend Alan Paradise. <p>Happy memories!!

The reason we lost to Aveley was we wore the most disgusting bright yellow away kit with blue pin stripes it was one size too small for all the players, two sizes to small for Lance(what a player, greatest Hat-trick ever scored by a saint, Dagenham away.the 3rd goal had to be seen to be believed. Oh yes Terry Benning ran steve Matthews close as worst player ever. As for Colfer..you dont win player of the season if your crap.