Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Results 1st Jan

Originally Posted By: Football Man
MKJames - I liked the Padbury No.7. He was one of the few players who actually looked like a footballer! I would have liked to see him get more of the ball as he had bundles of pace but did't get much chance to show if he had the footballing skill to match (I suspect he hasn't, otherwise he would be at a much higher level!). I also thought that the Mursley right back started to link up the attacks more in the second half and this gave them more attacking impetus and a firmer grip on the game. The winning goal was a good passing move and gave the home side a deserved victory but the visitors can feel disappointed at having held out for so a battling draw only to be denied in the fifth minute of stoppage time.

I totally agree, when Padbury got the ball out to the 7 he did look capable. The Mursley fans in the stand next to me seemed to think they had got lucky, well in one way they are right but they did have the majority of the chances, I'm especially thinking of the lob from the Mursley no. 9 which struck the base of the post. All in all though a great game, it's a shame there wasn't another SSML or UCL game yesterday evening. I toyed with the idea of going to Oadby, but I leave for work at 5am and I really needed a good nights kip.

Rhodes, why are you so obsessed with where Football Man went next?

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
Originally Posted By: Football Man
Your point being...?

Why didn't you mention that it was free to get in.

Now you're just mischief making! You know as well as anyone that very few clubs in SSML2 charge admission (I think possibly just Risborough), even some in your division have to find other ways to get the fans to loosen their pockets.

MKJames - Actually I didn't know that as it doesn't make any sense not to charge admission, The 61FC must have lost a fortune yesterday based on say £3 a head including a programme. Also I was simply curious to know where Football Man went after the game at Mursley, what's wrong with that.

Just for your information (not Football Man's) another anorak on Tony Kempter's Forum went to the Mursley v Padbury game, no wonder the crowd was so big:

12 Noon Mursley United v Padbury United

Match has already been commented on, so wont go into details, The whole setting reminded me of my days as a Kid on the outskirts of Harlow, going to Rectory Field, watching Great Parndon on Saturdays, Bulmers FC on Sunday, cars parked on the side of the road and church bells peeling (is that the term?) in the background.

Enjoyed it very much, I think the Mursley No9 would do a job at a higher level (if he gets some decent training,) as he looked very good to me and took his half volley for the 2nd goal very well.

Also was I alone in thinking that Alexei Sayle was the referee?

Originally Posted By: Rhodes
MKJames - Actually I didn't know that as it doesn't make any sense not to charge admission, The 61FC must have lost a fortune yesterday based on say £3 a head including a programme.

But it's not all about money, is it Rhodes?

Yet another anorak who was at the Mursley v Padbury game yesterday as well as two who were at The 61FC v Crawley Green, AWK will no doubt be interested to read the view on his programme in the second brief post although there appears to be a discrepancy in the price:

Spartan Sth Mids Div 2 12.00

Mursley United 3 Padbury United 2

Already covered numerous times, but one thing to add.

Despite arriving at 11.15, all the programmes had gone, although i hadn't realised they were even doing one.

The Secretary went home and printed further copies for those of us who wanted one, which makes a nice change from these clubs who can't be bothered to issue and then blame it on the printers ! So well done Mursley.

Midday THE 61 FC (LUTON) 0-1 CRAWLEY GREEN

Spartan South Midlands Division 2

Admission FREE Programme 50p for 8pp

Attendance 67

A very poor game settled by a solitary second half goal. The only time the game seemed to spark to life was in the closing minutes when FC 61 had two players sent off in two minutes, one for a bad challenge and the other for two yellows.

2 games for me 61fc vs crawley green 0.1 not the best of games. the prog at £1 was very detailed with a home, away and form tables. in the afternoon dunstable vs aylesbury 3.1 a much better game. the 2 people i was talking 2 went the same 2 and were going 2 oadby in the evening.

I'm glad to see the poster you have quoted liked the programme, given the lack of time I had it was a small edition so I would have thought it would have sold for 50p, but still £1 for admission and a programme would still have to be seen as a bargain grin

Greg Dyke - Did you go to Dagenham yesterday, congratulations on the fine win. This post was on another's site:

Dagenham and Redbridge 1 Brentford 2 (Coca-Cola League 2)

Admission £18 programme £2.50

Thanks to over-running engineering works, I was unable to get to Coton Green, as no trains were running north of Northampton so I had to go south.

No new grounds were available so I opted for a revisit to Dagenham for what may be their only season in the football league.

A new stand has been built to add to the existing one since my last visit 10 years ago.

Visitors Brentford were a trifle fortunate to get all 3 points. They were the better side in a first half that didn't really get going until Poole put them ahead in the 22nd minute with a fine shot.In the second half D and R put the Bees under a lot of pressure and deservedly equalised through Strevens.

As they pressed for the goal to put them in the lead Brentford hit them on the counter with another well-taken goal by Poole. Despite enjoying a lot of possesion and a few half chances the home side couldn't get the equaliser they deserved.

If there are any senior managers from Network Rail reading this. I hope you have a terrible 2008 and that you end it unemployed. Which is what you deserve for your incompetence and callous disregard for those that travel by train. I realise that you probably have an expensive company car paid for by the taxpayer.

I would disagree with elements of that report.....it complete misses the major moment of the match

Here is my brief report !

Dagenham is a complete hole

I popped in the Railway pub before hand, for a pint...after the gruelling 42 stop District line journey

No TV, and dyed hair on battered drunks all over the pub

Bees brought 900, Daggers had just over 1,000 there !!!

Packed on the away terrace meant a great atmosphere, which our manager, said inspired the boys...Dagenham were a bit quiet, considering they dont get many derbies !

Bees bossed the first half. Connell, Poole, Shales all wetn close and Poole gave us the lead.

18 year old Ben Hamer, back on loan to us, from Reading didnt spill a thing, and comfotably saved the Daggers only first half effort

In the second half, the rain came down, and Daggers started on top. Applying pressure as our defence panicked a little and failed to clear the ball.

We conceeded, but raised our game.

A stoppage in play saw ex-QPR keeper Tony Roberts turn to the Bees throng and sing "We love QPR, say we love QPR"

This was met with a few seconds of stunned silence, then plently of friendly banter back, to the portly keeper

However, the stewards and police took a different view and a few minutes later, the ref (who had a superb game) gave Roberts a warning about inciting the crowd. Amazingly he was arrested after the game !

Bees went ahead soon after, Poole again, and we held on to secure the 3 points

Deserved 3 points too duck

Greg Dyke - Do you want me to post that report on your behalf on another's Forum, it should raise a smile and make a refreshing change from the usual mindnumbing reports.

It's done but I couldn't insert the duck as the Forum wouldn't accept it, sorry. A Dagenham fan has already responded saying your report was nothing like the game, I've taken the liberty of attaching a link for ease of reference:

http://www.nlpl.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=61433;page=2;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;guest=2594157

Originally Posted By: Greg_Dyke
Rhodes, you fool doh You didnt correct some mis-spellings and thus I have looked like a village idiot!

Greg Dyke - I didn't notice any mis-spellings, the report looked fine to me. Obviously you're not a village idiot as you're well educated.
Someone has asked you a follow up question (see below), are you a member of Tony's Forum or do you want me to reply on your behalf:

Were the police really involved? I've not read about this in any of the match reports elsewhere. Any links?

Greg Dyke - The Dagenham fan has responded so do you want to leave it at that or put in your twopennysworth:

During a hold up in play the referee was called across by the fourth official, with a police officer lurking behind him. After consulting with his fourth official the referee ran across and spoke to Roberts, but took no further actuion, and the officer returned to his position by the players' tunnel, so it was clearly the police who were concerned not the match officials. Robbo always has banter with the opposing supporters and there has never been, nor on the day was there likely to have been, any trouble through it. It appears to have been a jobsworth copper trying to be seen "doing his duty". I'm not too sure about the arrest bit though. Nobody at this end is aware of any arrest having taken place. I just wish the police would try doing the real jobs that WE employ them for, ie solving crime, instead of getting involved in this sort of petty non-existant problem. If they tried doing that they MIGHT earn some respect back from the public.